New Spell

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shiningted, Apr 13, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Ok, consider the following from Masters of the Wild. Its not in Spell Compendium so it doesn't seem to have made the leap to 3.5.

Basically this is a Mass Bull's Strength spell with a limited target cleintele (summoned things only). I think lvl 2 is way too low for this: my first impression / gut instinct is lvl 4. What do people think?

EDIT: Ok, I am revising my position from 'first impression' to 'modicum of thought put into it' and as Invisibility Sphere is 1 level higher than Invisibility, so I think this should be at least lvl 3 (and while Invisibility Sphere doesn't have restrictions on who benefits like this does, it also has a smaller area).

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  2. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Summoned creatures is a pretty limited target group, imo (maybe less limited for druids than arcane spellcasters) and the duration is very short compared to the PHB Bull's Strength, so I think second level or maybe third is about right.

3. maalri

maalri Immortal

As a DM that has had to adjucate new spells upon occassion over the last 20 years of gaming, I agree that 3rd level is probably right because of 2 factors-

It is stronger that the 2nd level Bull Strength and it is weaker that the 4th level Mass Bull Strength. If it seems that it should be higher than 3rd, just give it a more expensive material component to make it less abusable. It already has a more specific and smaller Area of Affect (or effective targets) than MBS and a shorter amount of time, so that's good.

4. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

"Your summoned creatures..."

Second level. It's not mass anything, there's ONE summoned creature, and it's uncontrollable.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  5. erkper

The description clearly states it affects anything you can raise with summoning spells, so a druid with a few spontanious castings could generate a small army of Bull Strengthened meat shields with this.

I think I just landed on 3rd level.

6. Shiningted

Good points all, guys. The duration isn't that big a deal since it will be the same as the duration for the summonlings...

...except if I put this in ToEE (which is why I am asking, obviously). It won't differentiate between a caster's summonlings and the guy's next to him: any friendly summoned critter will get the boost (not animal companions etc). Also whether I can do it as a proper "stay within the area to get your bonus", and whether I have to just do it as a pseudo-MBS spell remains to be seen.
    I make MBS 6th level? :scratchhe But the Material Component suggestion is a good one :) Gorgon or minotaur dung instead of bull dung, perhaps ;)

EDIT: O you meant the 4th level I suggested originally: never mind ;)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  7. Shiningted

Ok, I couldn't get this going as a 'sphere' spell, it had to be a pseudo-Mass effect. While this has the advantage that summonlings don't have to stay in the area to get the bonus, I found in testing that it has the distinct disadvantage that in a longer fight where you start using spontaneous summonings just to survive, they don't get the benefit if brought in after the spell is cast. Also it doesn't stack with the benefits of 'augment summoning', which I'm ok with.

Next spell:
    I think I might be able to do this, but a +10 bonus at first level? What do folks think of this? I dislike +10 bonuses in general (they distort the game imho: even a 2500gp Cloak of Elvenkind is only +5) but this 1st level spell is like having a 12700gp Ring of Chameleon Power (sans Disguise ability). Is this an overpowered 3.0 spell that is out of place in 3.5?

8. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

We're talking about a high level ranger who doesn't need it, so look at a first level druid. Maybe it should be +5 + 1/level.

It shouldn't be a spell. Make it an item that lasts until the grease paint starts wearing off or the leaves start wilting.

9. Shiningted

Hmmm... I forgot a Ranger wouldn't get it til later... I like the idea of an alchemical or herbal item instead, but thats a seperate question ;)

Can anyone think of a similar spell that adds a bonus to a skill check? I can only think of Guidance. :shrug:

10. erkper

Heroism and Greater Heroism?

11. Shiningted

No, I was thinking something like this:
    Well there you go: a core 1st level spell that grants +10 (and which will doubtless turn up in KotB when I introduce the Disguise skill). Heh.

12. maalri

maalri Immortal

And don't forget Ted- True Strike adds a +20 as a first level spell!! ALbeit for only the next strike...

But your spell would fall somewhere between the one time +20 of True Strike and the 2500 gp permanent (as in "like forever") +5 Cloak....

13. Shiningted

Yeah I thought of True Strike - I actually think thats a great spell, since its application is so limited at 1st level ("make sure your Ray of Enfeeblement always hits!" - damn useful but not overpowered) but it keeps on giving for many levels to come, which not too many 1st level spells do. But the main thing is, you only have 1 round to use it.

Anyways, go get the spell pack and see what you think: I reckon a lot of them are overpowered, particularly the transposition spells. Testing will tell.

14. Scryler

Scryler Night's Wordsmith

They sound overpowered to me. (W/o testing.)

15. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Hum, Rangers (and i assume Druids) have a a spell that grant a bonus to climb. I don't remember, and i don't have the books at hand, but is low level.
    They also have a 1º level spell that makes the next strike an automatic critical. Way more powerful than True Strike, but is only available to Rangers.

Oh, and i don't think that Adrenaline surge is overpowered. I think that level 2 is fine. It is powerful if you specialize in summonings, of course, but the bonus isn't that much...only +2 to hit and damage, for a few rounds (and summonings aren't particularly powerful)...by the time it can be powerful, you'll be raining lightnings :shrug:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
Our Host!