Sergio Morozov's Proto Changes

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Gaear, Oct 10, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Hi all,

Recently Sergio Morozov contacted me about some proto changes re: weapon stats, etc. that he initially proposed in the CMF discussion thread and then did himself. Personally I'm not much up on the whole rules thing (and have been trying to focus on other areas of development, since Co8 has mainly been caught up in fixing rulesy stuff since day one and there are a lot of other areas that need attention), so I'd like to post his change log here and have you people look it over and see if it's sound. (This is something he asked me to do.) If it's all good, we can update the CMF with it. Thanks. :)

Changelog:

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Yeah that looks good to me :)

3. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Yah. Seems fine.
    Giants clubs do work for players too. You need to use Enlarge person
    But, when you kill a giant of any kind, you can't loot the clubs.

It would be cool to have them looted. Maybe not all but a few would add for fun, and they're not magical, so there will be not that many increase in power. A wizard could finally do some melee mayhem! :)
    That could be useful for KotB. Maul of the Titans, anyone? ;)

The lizardmen and Gnoll weapons work, they could be available too.

Btw, i don't think the spiritual weapons should have increased criticals, they're all at 20.
    I think that's the way they where meant?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  4. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

Although Spiritual Weapons all do 1d8 base damage, the crit range is determined by the weapon type. That is why Olidammara rules! 1d8, 18-20x2

5. Sergio Morozov

Sergio Morozov Paladin

Spiritual weapon's critical multiplier and threat range are the same as for real weapon of its name.

Spiritual Weapon
    Evocation [Force]
    Level: Clr 2, War 2
    Components: V, S, DF
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
    Effect: Magic weapon of force
    Duration: 1 round/level (D)
    Saving Throw: None
    Spell Resistance: Yes
    A weapon made of pure force springs into existence and attacks opponents at a distance, as you direct it, dealing 1d8 force damage per hit, +1 point per three caster levels (maximum +5 at 15th level). The weapon takes the shape of a weapon favored by your deity or a weapon with some spiritual significance or symbolism to you (see below) and has the SAME THREAT RANGE AND CRITICAL MULTIPLIERS as a real weapon of its form. It strikes the opponent you designate, starting with one attack in the round the spell is cast and continuing each round thereafter on your turn. It uses your base attack bonus (possibly allowing it multiple attacks per round in subsequent rounds) plus your Wisdom modifier as its attack bonus. It strikes as a spell, not as a weapon, so, for example, it can damage creatures that have damage reduction. As a force effect, it can strike incorporeal creatures without the normal miss chance associated with incorporeality. The weapon always strikes from your direction. It does not get a flanking bonus or help a combatant get one. Your feats or combat actions do not affect the weapon. If the weapon goes beyond the spell range, if it goes out of your sight, or if you are not directing it, the weapon returns to you and hovers...

[Edit] Further testing of my fixed protos revealed, that changing Bugbear Greatsword to being Greatsword from being Glaive caused bugbears to wield it improperly. :(
    So, if it is to be used, either its model needs to be changed to regular greatsword, or its weapon type needs to be changed back to glaive. As I've said, I can handle this simple thing.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  6. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

My mistake.
    I meant the ones you can console. I thougth that someone modded them to be used by PCs. I assume they're the same that you cast. Change their type of damage to energy (or force, i don't remember atm), and they become truly powerful ;)

Meh, that's why i didn't mention them ;)
    Bugbear's weapons are wielded backwards by PCs (except the greatsword i think)...you should see a bugbear bow in the hands of a PC...deadly! :)

The lizardmen shield doesn't work properly neither...but i think the same texture could be applied to a rounded shield

7. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Bugger that - why waste animations? We can always just add a san_dying thing to swap out for another greatsword / shield etc if people really want to.

8. Sergio Morozov

Sergio Morozov Paladin

Even further testing of changed protos revealed that stationary ettins (those not from random encounters) do not equip their "primary hand" weapon sometimes (instead they equip only "off-hand" as primary). This is fixed by adding OIF_WEAR_WEAPON_SECONDARY flag to primary weapon.

Ahh, such minor changes I have made, and already two bugs!

What if I change Tiny Rapier to 1d3 and Small Quaterstaff to 1d4 ?

[EDIT] Added new files with two bugs fixed (Bugbear greatsword is glaive again and ettins use two weapons always again too.) And these ^ (look up) changes too.

[EDIT 2] Looks like adding OIF_WEAR_WEAPON_SECONDARY to primary ettin weapon failed to fix "every" ettin. But leavimg only "PRIMARY" on primary weapon and only "SECONDARY" on secondary helps. Added fixed files instead of previous.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  9. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

Tiny Rapier should be 1d4 (do not be confused by the word Tiny - it is a misnomer)

10. Sergio Morozov

Sergio Morozov Paladin

To Basil The Timid.

It is SMALL rapier, which should be 1d4, not TINY rapier.
    I thought it is misnamed "tiny" instead of "small", but in the protos.tab field "size" says "tiny". (Maybe you added it, in this case you know better, of course. I only changed damage looking to words in the file and I do not know what it was meant to be.)

Unrelated to previous.

Well, I think it is better to clarify why all the mess. I've played through ToEE with a party of 5 PCs and 2 Hill Giants and 1 Vrock (there is a "legitimate" way to add almost every creature encountered in the party permanently as NPC, he-he-he :) ). So I had monster weapons for my NPCs. And they (weapons) had improper statistics. So I decided to change them, using the rules. By the way I found some improper statistics in regular weapons and changed them too. I almost did not touch things added by CoE Mod Pack (although rules say something should be chaged, but hey, those are not mine things to touch. I feel almost sorry fo the rapier already.)

On the matter of Rods in ToEE.

Reading d20 SRD I did not find "Rod of Smiting" and "Staff of Striking" there. Can anyone explain this (maybe they are in DMG ?)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
Our Host!