Rannos and Gremag Redux

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by ShadowDragoon, Feb 22, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. ShadowDragoon

ShadowDragoon Advocate of Vengence

Re: Armario Assassination Quest question

The Triple Cross quest is still there. I just unlocked it a few days ago, myself. Reminder, you have to have a VERY high Charisma score before it will give you the option to hoodwink Watt.

Also, while we're talking about bugged quests, for whatever reason, I sell off the Lareth gear to Gremag, get attacked by the Assassin, and when I go back to him, I can't mention the Assassin. Also, when I attack Gremag, he doesn't try to escape like normal. After two turns he'll try to use the Dust of Disappearance, fail, and then he and the other guy (can't remember his name) just stand there like idiots while I beat them up. It sucks, because then I can't get the other events with Gremag coming back for revenge. :writersbl

2. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Yeah, this will be fixed with the rebalancing project. Until then, there's no point fixing it. The 'bug' is caused by having too many PCs and NPCs in the room. Try it with an NPC less and it should work.

The 'bug' with mentioning the assassin may not be a bug because I genuinely can never recall ever being able to discuss the assassin with either Ramos or Gremag. Would need to check the .dlg files and can't do that at the moment.

------

re. stealth assassinations. Great idea. Sadly not possible with this game engine. Try Thief or that new Assassin game if you're after that kind of thing. As for the 'Butcher of Hommlet', well just assume that someone saw you go in, someone saw you go out and in between Armario's head fell off. What do you think people are going to believe?

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I just played this myself and there is indeed the option to ask R&G about the assassin. You can also now actually attack them via dialogue if your sense motive skill is high enough, which in my mind is sufficient 'fix' for the scenario as modded by Liv. (Previously you always had to just start whacking away at them, technically 'unprovoked' as it were, which didn't seem right.)

There may well be some skill check required to get the assassin related dialogue started at all. Can't recall atm.

Re: R&G not escaping that encounter, that happened to me on this playthrough too. I thought it was just the rare occurance where you actually beat them both before they use the dust. Is it really broken somehow now? If so that should be fixed asap, because the revenge encounter has probably become one of the most anticipated episodes in the game. I know I was bummed to think I wouldn't get it this time. :(

4. Zebedee

The escape has been broken for months Gaear - think it broke when people were trying to get different outcomes to trigger automatic combat (I know I reported it in a thread in general mod a long time ago) - I tried to fix but RL got in the way and with rebalancing coming up, not much point trying to fix for something which may or may not be there...

Probably is some skill check to start assassin dialogue off - just never seen it myself and don't recall seeing it - but don't know R&G .dlg as well as certain others (eg Terjon!). And with my PCs on a cargo container somewhere west of Suez, not much I can do at the moment to try and sort it out :(

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  5. Gaear

Allyx has indicated in our 'delicate rebalancement' discussions that the main contenders for that are the major expansions (which makes sense since these ones-ey encounters probably don't contribute much to unbalancing things), so R&G revenge is probably ripe for fixing. Maybe I'll have a go at it. ;)

6. Zebedee

Yay Gaear!

7. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

I know I used to be able to confront Ramos and Gremag about the assassin, though I haven't been able to in recent run-throughs.

However, it's possible that blackmailing Ramos and Gremag breaks the ability to discuss the assassin with them, as I normally do that.

This worked fine in my most-recent run through using 5.0.5

8. ShadowDragoon

It actually got to the point where I fought them, killed Raimos (thinking that would trigger Gremag to retreat -- it didn't), knocked Gremag unconscious and took all of his gear, left, rested a day, came back, force-talked to him, and now I can buy and sell things with him as if I hadn't killed his business partner and beat him within an inch of his life. It's very odd, yet somewhat satisfying. :evil_laug

EDIT: About the Triple-Cross event, I accidentally said you need a high Charisma score. What I meant to say is you need a high Bluff ability. I wasn't able to unlock it until my characters were at level 8 or 9.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  9. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

This is the plan for KotB (the current 'enemy of the Keep' reputation is a very last-minute addition), but it is very complicated to do, and I guarantee its not going to please everybody, because it never does. But yes, if you sneak quietly into town unnoticed from Nulb, murder someone, sneak back out and don't come back for 6 months, you should NOT be attacked on sight. But then you shouldn't be murdering innocent peasants in the first place - no reward, no challenge, no point.

Re the R&G encounter - it was broken, so Sitra Achara tried to fix and improve it, but that caused problems (due to the complexity of it all) so Sitra's mod was removed and we are back to the original state, which was broken. If I understand it correctly. :shrug:

10. Gaear

My investigation into the matter seems to show this to be untrue, actually. I'm not sure why Zeb and Kal and others are having these problems, but I've got everything working as I think it should, without really changing any of the nuts and bolts stuff. (Unless I somehow unknowingly corrected something in the changes I have made.)

At any rate, I can reliably get:

1. Dialogue to confront R&G about the assassin. The only requirements for this are that the assassin is dead and you haven't yet confronted R&G, so I don't know why it wouldn't work for anybody.
    2. Further attack dialogue (which, as modded by Sitra, seemed only to require a sense motive >10 check and a non-lawful alignment).
    3. R&G to do their run-off thing in combat.
    And I mean reliably as in all the time.

Anyway, watch the GM forum for another 'Long Awaited ...' thread. There should be some other new features in there too. :)

11. Zebedee

The thing which seemed to break the encounter was having 5 PCs + 3 NPCs + 2 animal companions. If the encounter works with that and R & G both run off, then it has been fixed :)

12. ShadowDragoon

So... you can't confront them about being a part of the Temple before confronting them about the Assassin, or it bugs the encounter. Well, that explains why it isn't working for me. :) I always twist a +1 Shortsword for my rogue out of them as early in the game as I can.

13. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

It may be that the code is bugged, when I pulled Sitra's mod out I actually kept most of his script which seemed to check if they were receiving non-lethal damage as well as lethal damage.This may explain some wierdness, but over crouding is what seems to break the escape routine. Maybe taking out the code that makes them move when they use the dust and run off will fix that.

14. Gaear

(moved the pertinent posts from the Amario thread over here to GM, btw.)

Okay, I think I know what's going on with all this. Yes, Zeb is right that a party of eight with two animal companions causes the scenario to malfunction, but it's not the number of combatants in the room that is the issue. Instead, there seems to be a problem with having any NPC involved in the battle (including animal companions).

You can have 8 PCs go at it with no problems. But any number of PCs with any NPCs (even 1 PC and 1 NPC) suddenly causes R&G to go docile upon their second turn, which is normally when they first start to go invisible, I believe. They start normally with their calls for assistance to Raimol and whatnot, but after that it's no-go.

That's the good news. The bad news is that I don't have a clue why this is happening. There's nothing that looks especially suspicious in their .py files, but I notice there are a couple calls to 'find_npc_near' (although it seems to identify who it's looking for). Could the call be locating Spugnoir or an animal companion instead, and then killing the strategy when those NPCs have no further instructions?

Anyway, if someone could at least point me in the direction of what I should be looking for I'd appreciate it.

The rest of the scenario is coming together nicely (though not at all complicated), so if I could crack this caper the whole thing would basically be fixed up.

15. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Could it be that theyre looking for Raimol, and read the party's NPC as him?
    Thus they wouldn't attack cos they consider the NPC Raimol as friend, and also read the others NPC as friends as well...or something like that. :p

If something like that it's the problem, the py could be modified to look for Raimol's prot instead as a NPC...? :questionm

Our Host!