Armario Assassination Quest question

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by StrontiumDog, Feb 21, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. StrontiumDog

StrontiumDog Established Member

I've decided to do the Gremag assassin quest, now that it seems to have been properly fleshed out and added to the quest-list in the log-book. However, I'm afraid that the quest will become botched if I kill off Gremag and his two companions, prematurely. Since I definitely want to kill Gremag , at some stage, could someone please tell me in detail as to what I should do next, in order to complete the quest? - I've just killed Armario(after buying his masterwork bows off him after the Deklo Grove quest) - talking to Gremag etc. afterwards does nothing re confirming the end of the quest, especially since Gremag said I shouldn't return to him to confirm the killing.

2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Umm, (how do I break this gently) Gremag played you like a game of knucklebones...

If I were an evil trader who had entirely too much competion, and a hapless adventurer passed through, I'd probably con them to kill off my rivals too. :evil_laug

3. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

As Allyx says, there is no 'completion' to that quest. I just turned it into a proper quest line with entries to fit in more fully with how the dialogue and scripting hinted things should turn out.

You've been had. Chalk it up to experience and take some revenge.

4. Jadefang

Jadefang Member

Aren't there supposed to be quests to kill two more people afterwards? However, I noticed that the next two quests seem to become unavailable if you purchased Raimol's service from Rannos/Gremag.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  5. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Can't remember the quest conditions to be honest - shouldn't have anything to do with Raimol though.

There are two more assassination quests. Eventually I was going to link them up with the storyline in the original module but real-life intervened. Plus there's a whole new rebalancing project which is in the works post-KotB release.

In any case, there is no 'right' way to complete the assassination quests. It's more of an alignment check for 'stupid evil'. ;)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  6. StrontiumDog

Just as well I saved the game just before killing Armario. Normally I never follow up on this quest, because it's never mentioned in the standard list of quests.

As for the other two assassination quests, I assume you're referring to the killing of Lodriss and perhaps the killing of Scorrp on behalf of Hedrack?

One thing I find odd, by the way, is that, for some time now, I've never been able to activate the triple-cross quest where you turn Wat and Rentsch in Nulb against each other, so that one kills the other off. I suspect that CO8 had it removed. If not, could anyone tell me what is needed to activate that quest? Thanks.

7. Jadefang

Jadefang Member

Actually it was
    Kenter Nevets and Terjon
    , and then afterward
    you join the assassin guild in Verbobonc who asks you to kill the viscount.

8. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I've never played this quest, but looking at the files, i think the idea is is you get the two guys mentioned above, if you have already killed Armario when you talk to Gremag. The 'stupid' part escalates pretty obviously, if you have already just gone around randomly butchering people - "o well then, go and kill the 2nd most powerful person in town!"

9. StrontiumDog

That explains things. So far, I've always used a rogue with just 18 charisma. Fortunately, I've included a sorcerer in my party with even higher charisma, so things should work out now.

The thing I dislike re killing innocents is that it's so easy to get the other people in the towns to attack you. There should be more opportunity given to stealth-assassinations which esape other's notice. I an understand it being difficult to cover up involvement in the killing of Terjon or Jaroo or someone equally important, but Armario etc. shouldn't automatically give a party the "Butcher of Hommlet" tag.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2008
  10. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

LMAO. They sucked me in too.

I might make a suggestion to have these "quests" and their lack of outcome become more believable. I think the Traders should sell at least Masterwork wooden equipment at VERY inflated prices.

Also, perhaps removing the numbers from the assassination quests. I for one believed there was more and rather than blame my own stupidity, I thought there was a problem with the game (ToEE does have that reputation, you know).

Edit: And killing Armario does not result in Butcher of Hommlet rep. Google Shiningted's RPG Rant.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  11. blackwind

blackwind Established Member

Triple cross is still there. Though I'm not sure which dialogue skill actually triggers it. I usually have all my dialogue skills maxed out and I seem to be able to get it at level 6 or 7(can't remember which one at the moment) and my spokesman always has the negotiator feat. Just be sure you tell Wat you're not the do-gooders and Rentsch after you ask about his scar that you thought the temple side fought valliantly.

12. Kneller1

Kneller1 Established Member

One thing I found anoying is that if you kill meleny in the delko grove at night, you still get the butcher of homlett rep. How can they possiable know it's you rather than some random gnoll on the road?

13. Avatar_do_Grafite

Avatar_do_Grafite Established Member

Hey, ya all guys!

I have heared some weird things here! Well, maiybe no so weird, but right. Let me explain:

Well, I know taht the game let us play evil parties, but D&D is basicly a game about valor, virtue and the heroes that walk throught the legends! It's not about evil people killing inocents in bushes and around small vilages! Evil must be punished - at least in a RPG table (or video, in this case) - becose this is wich makes RPG different from reality! Here, justice works! Evil is destroied with spells and swords, and the villains looses at the end! It´s not Real Life! There are gnolls, giants, clerics, magic and justice!

So, if ya kill Meleny anywere, ya shall consider that Jaroo was watching over ya with some divination spells or throught some kind os animal spy - becose ya know, she is a Druid, and problaby is a close person to Jaroo hinself, hum? So, he must have some aid with the newcomers that walk around with little Meleny, why not? - and now, everybody knows yare ca damn killer, a Villain and must be befeated! BEcose this is D&D!

Don't act in the evil way and expect to find aesyness in this. Being evil, ya're colecting a lot of enemies, no more, no less! So, expect a hard time wit Evil parties, becose this is what D&D suposely have to the bad guys: Heroes going to kick yer ass!

14. Scryler

Scryler Night's Wordsmith

That's what I like about D&D. Should probably specify pc games. I've never played pnp.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  15. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

It's funny, I've never really played an "evil" party or even a character in any RPG or CRPG, save for my Dragon in the Palladium RPG.

Even with my "twisted" mind, some part of me just shies away from it. Maybe because being evil, say in ToEE IMHO, has a less fulfilling feeling of satisfaction than playing "good".

Other games have the "evil" side down, quite well. (The Fallout games. Dungeon Keeper, Neverwinter Nights, BG, etc)

Our Host!