Corrupted saved games

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Zephyr, Jan 28, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. Zephyr

Zephyr Member

Hi,

Yes I have the full legal version, bought it from a shop faaaar away.

I thought I was happy. Until I got in Nulb, did something wrong, loaded my saved game and then it said "can't load the saved game properly" and "file is corrupted". Even my autosave. I don't wanna start again. Is there anyway to load a corrupted save game? Please, help me. All I did was install the game, patch 1 and 2, and co8 version 4 after that.

Thank you,

Zephyr

2. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Do NOT use autosave AND do NOT use quicksave, either. Once a saved game has become corrupted, it cannot be un-done.

3. WebShaman

WebShaman Member

And I also tend to have several different saves, just in case.

4. Zephyr

Zephyr Member

So if I turn off auto save in the option menu, never quicksave and double or tripple save my save states you think It'll be ok? I want to try it again, but not if I know it can crash again.

Thanks

Zephyr

5. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Using autosave and doing quicksaves causes saved games to become corrupt. Don't do those and you should be okay.

6. Zephyr

Zephyr Member

Ok, thank you ^^

7. underthewronghat

underthewronghat Member

Why do savegame files become corrupt? Is it just me, or should this never happen? Who cares if autosave is on, a savegame is a savegame -yes/no?

I've been getting a repeatable corrupt savegame when I copy a lot of spells (purchased from Burne in the tower), but it even applies to files from which I've already loaded (save "game1" load "game1" works, then save "game2" load "game2" yields "savegame is corrupt" THEN load "game1" yields "savegame is corrupt..."

WTF?

Then when I quit TOEE to reload, the process hangs and I have to do a hard-re-boot to end the process...

then AFTER re-boot, I run TOEE, load "game1" and it's fine, but "game2" is still corrupt... This seems like a problem with TOEE, and not the savegame files...

(Win2000, Co8 mod 5.0.3 build 12.17.06)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2007
  8. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

actually the autosave creates its own bugs - it over-rides other game events that would otherwise trigger. Thats why we say to keep it turned off, cos you'll miss some of the game if you leave it turned on.

9. underthewronghat

underthewronghat Member

Yes, well I double checked, and "autosave on map changes" is turned off in options/preferences/game... Not sure what the problem is... BTW I have played all the way through with plain vanilla TOEE v3.0 with NO corrupt savegames... Here again, why wouldn't the autosave problem accompany the older version? Is this strictly a C08 bug, or has anyone gotten the corrupt savegame problem on vanilla TOEE sessions?

It looks like "save" is more stable on outdoor maps...? I've been trying to get more corrupt games, and I haven't got any on outdoor maps yet...

10. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

Really I can't be of much help, I've only ever gotten one corrupted saved game and that was because of my own messing with things after I made the save. the only thing I can think of is to make sure absolutly nothing is happening when you save - no spells are being cast, no one moving, etc.

11. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Quicksaves screw things up, too. I think this is the problem...quicksave & autosave are subject to the same bug. The standard save avoids the problem. BTW, the problem has been around as long as ToEE, and has nothing to do with which patch you're running; and are not caused by anything modded by Co8. It's something which lies in the game engine, which the modders here are not able to access & thus, fix.

12. amazing ronaldo

amazing ronaldo Member

So as I understand it, the auto save causes corruptions in the manual saved games? I don't remember this happening long ago to me but it is happening to me now. I got to Nulb and manually saved the game, even did it three times, I then opened each and they opened ok, then I started saving to them while playing and eventually they all got corrupt. It is a major bummer. I noticed there is a 5.0 of ToEEFE so I might just download and install that and start over with the auto save turned off.

Thanks for the good help in this thread all!! :)

-R

13. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

14. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

I always save in a safe place, like the Inn, or out in the parking lot, the moathouse tower, and the safe house in Nulb. I keep a few saved games on file just in case. I only use quicksave in the most dire need. Autosave is useless. Turn it off.

15. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Parking lot???? :)

Our Host!