ToEEFE 4.00 wishlist & beta versions

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Agetian, Jan 8, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

I'm opening an official thread about your wishes and ideas for the upcoming ToEEFE 4.00 updates. Please post all your FE-related requests here so I can keep track of them without being afraid of forgetting about something. Thanks in advance.

So far I did the following:
    - Included an option to delete .pyc files from all script folders IMPLEMENTED
    - Fixed the bug with deactivating non-active modules again (somehow this code got partly commented out some time ago, I can't even remember why or when) IMPLEMENTED
    - Implemented a new version of the Humble NPCs fix by Spellslinger IMPLEMENTED

UPDATE 01/13/07: Released ToEEFE 4.00 Beta2 for testing. It includes the new "remove PYC files" functionality (integrated into the "Clean game cache" option), as well as some .NET 2.0-related optimizations. The new version of ToEEFE requires .NET 2.0 but doesn't require .NET 3.0 (although has been tested to work alright on a .NET 3.0 installation). Please use with due care since I may have broken ( ;) ) something there, since I'm out of practice of coding (was busy for too long). Download link is available in this thread's attachments list. A KotB-specific version has been released separately in the KotB Private Forum.

UPDATE 01/14/07: Released ToEEFE 4.00 Beta3 for testing. Fixed the bug with deactivating non-active modules again (somehow this code got partly commented out some time ago, I can't even remember why or when).

UPDATE 01/16/07: Released ToEEFE 4.00 Beta4 for testing. This version changes the code base of the Humble NPCs fix to the new fix made by Spellslinger. Feedback is necessary here, both on how Spellslinger's fix works and on how the ToEEFE implementation of it behaves. Use with due care.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Now the executables for ToEEFE are officially called ToEEFE.exe for the standard ToEE front-end and KotBFE.EXE for the KotB-specific ToEE front-end. The new package will not overwrite your old TempleFrontend.exe. Also, this version requires .NET Framework version 2.0 or higher to run! Versions 1.0, 1.1, as well as 2.0 betas won't run this version of the front-end. .NET Framework v3.0 is not required, but should work perfectly.

- Agetian

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2007
  2. ShadowDragoon

ShadowDragoon Advocate of Vengence

Re: ToEEFE 4.00 wishlist

Isn't there enough space to put another checkbox, like the Clear Map Cache? Or, rather, are one of the checkboxes already there pretty much obsolete? (I never understood the difference between HP By Level and HP By HD...)

3. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

Hmm maybe left to the clean-up cache checkbox?

4. smg225

smg225 Gyro Captain

A while back there was discussion about including Sitra Achara's signpost mod as a candidate to receive a checkbox as an option in the frontend. While it isn't the hugest deal in the world (anyone who's played through enough to want it is probably adept enough at knowing what goes where to add it themselves 'a la carte' so to speak :) ) it seems to me to be the perfect candidate for such a thing.

5. Agetian

Hmm... seems like I missed this one, at least I haven't seen it. Can someone provide me with the details? A PM is reasonable, or a post here.

- Agetian

6. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I think the delete *.pyc and clear map cache options could be rolled into one button/checkbox, since you'd only really do either once, when you install a new mod, or leave the box checked constantly (like I do).

Since the pc portrait limit has been lifted (at least to such a high number that we wouldn't fill them all anytime soon) perhaps replacing the "change portrait packs" button, with a "change soundtrack" button and swap the in game music with .mp3's you can select from your own PC would be an idea worth exploring?

7. Allyx

The signpost mod has been added to the 5.0.3 CMF.

8. smg225

smg225 Gyro Captain

Oops, sorry, should've put a link in my post.

http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3561&page=3 in the cumulative fixes 5.0.3 thread, actually, post #71. There was a discussion of whether or not it should be included as a general mod, I remember, but can't find that discussion.

edit: Allyx, you are ^fast^ with that PSP.

9. Allyx

Hehe, the PSP is currently on a break, I got my PC back to myself atm. :)

10. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

If we have to include the delete .pyc thing, then I would agree on rolling it into the map cache clearer, since people are only going to need when they install new stuff.

I'm happy for the signpost to just be in Co8, period, but if we are going to make it optional, it should be something for the very beginning, like the Caravan / DH options. Having sectors moving on and off the main Nulb and Hommlet maps at the click of a button would screw with any save-games on those maps, which is to say, would screw with many save-games. (Or so it seems to me).

EDIT: O, and since this is a wish-list, I wish for a KotB version of ToEEFE that says "Keep on the Borderlands" when you start it. :)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2007
  11. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

I hate to tell you this Allyx, but I already have more custom portraits than I can put into portraits.mes. This means going back to my first idea of having an app that will create a custom portraits.mes file with the portraits you choose, and then switching to that mes file with Front End. In the future I would like to see the Custom Portrait Pack app (or whatever it is called) integrated into Front End, but for now it is not ready, and is waiting on people better at coding than I am to help it along. So no, let's not going taking out the "Change Portrait Packs" button just yet.

I think having the "Clear Map Cache" button become the "Clear Map Cache and .pyc Files" button is a great idea. I would like to take this opportunity to point out the wonderful co8Util folder that Spellslinger has put in the scr folder (and provided the means of linking to it in scripts). This folder is for Co8 utility scripts, like the ones already in Co8.py. This folder is starting to see more use, and should probably have it's .pyc files deleted too.

12. Agetian

Sure, Ted, no problem. :)
    Just e-mail me the picture you want to see in the front-end screen and I'll make you a special KotB edition.

- Agetian

13. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

BTW, in cases such as Sitra's signpost mod, perhaps we should wait with any modifications until we see if the oversight committee thing is going to take off this time. If the proposed committee were to decide, for example, that it hates the signpost mod, it should not appear as an option in Toffee.

In the meantime, for the sake of conversation . . .

I rather dislike this notion of including random mods as checkable options in Toffee. Should there also be a checkbox option for Spellslinger's DLLfix16? For my Sammy fix? For Ted's most recent Small Fluffy Pack? Etc., etc. Why? They should either be in or out officially, with the continued option for users to install separate mods for themselves if they want them.

Blue's comments about the state of the portrait packs notwithstanding, I also dislike the notion of interchangeable thematic elements for ToEE. ToEE has a musical and artistic theme, period. They were provided by the creators, and the game is meant to be experienced as they designed it. Of course, as I stated above, if someone wanted to supply new themes in the form of mods, players would always be free to use them, and those with the technical skills will always be able to replace things like mp3s themselves, as it's not that difficult. I just don't believe that Co8 should formally accomodate that. ToEE as designed and intended should not feature portraits of Minsc, or the score from Icewind Dale 2. If I was the composer for ToEE, that would irritate me in a major way. Doing that stuff is hard work, (no less hard than traditional hacking, just in a different way) and people don't often acknowledge that. I find it a bit dismissive to casually shrug it off as such, particularly in the formal sense or with official backing. :shrug:

14. smg225

smg225 Gyro Captain

Since you asked, I'll answer--the difference between the signpost mod and, say, your long-awaited ratfaced Sammy fix, is that your work actually changes the in-game action and resolution, while the signpost mod is only an interface convenience--it doesn't change the module, per se, in the least, it's more akin to a dm allowing the gamers to say "we go to the blacksmith's" instead of making them say "upon entering town, we make our first left, go three houses in, go behind the inn, and enter the second door we pass" (for example!).

It may not be a ^good^ reason, but that's why I thought that mod in particular might belong in the front-end, for the individual gamer to decide, rather than in the module itself, where the (collective) dm of the oversight committee would be better suited deciding what does or does not belong.

That said, I agree with your first and third paragraphs, fwiw, and don't even DISagree with your disagreement with my suggestion, it's really a matter of how to structure this stuff and you are CERTAINLY wiser in such matters than I am. Just sayin', is all. :grin:

15. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Yeah, your distinction is noted (and correct), much as is already the case with the Max HP and Humble NPCs options, etc. I just don't care for the 'have-it-your-way!' nature of all those checkboxes. ;) I would prefer it if they were limited to maintenance operations (i.e., clear the map cache, deactivate the module) and that sort of thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!