EVERY SAVE CORRUPT?!?!?! Omigod please help, guys!

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by BestServedCold, Dec 13, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. BestServedCold

BestServedCold Member

I had beaten the Ogre Chief, basically by cheating since he didn't seem interested in freeing himself after I webbed him. Two gnolls that were with him would free themselves every round but then not move so they'd get webbed again next round.

But I digress...

I had started to fight the Water High Priest with a group that was totally unprepared, banged up, and unrested. I decided to just reload the last quick save. Hitting F9 took me to the main menu instead of loading anything. When I went in to manually load, every one of my saves is bad.

Uh, there's some workaround or fix of course...

Right, guys...?

Uh...

Right!?

:questionm

2. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

umm firstly, and this is all the help I can be on the subject, is DON'T use quick saves, they cause a lot of problems.

secondly AFAIK there's no fix to this problem, apart from deleting the corrupt saves and starting a new game of course :cry:

3. Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer Established Member

And be sure you have a bit more space free. I got a message "savegame corrupt" when I had very little space on my harddisk. It vanished when I freed up a bit more.

4. webusver

webusver Established Member

Did you try to delete **.pyc files in src folder?

Uh? ;)

5. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

I don't actually think that the pyc files habe got much to do with the saved games, pyc's are "old" scripts that the game creates once from a py if there isn't a pyc already and runs from the pyc from then on, deleting them is like clicking the refresh button on your internet browser, it has to remake them from the code in the py files (which we might've changed).

not deleting them could cause problems in your current game, but would be unlikely to effect the saved games, I guess something messed with the actual hex code in the save itself causing it to become unreadable by the game.

on that note if you were an expert hex editor and knew exactly what the code in that particular save should look like it could be recoverable.

but thats just my theory

6. webusver

webusver Established Member

For me it's just like a "5th level spell" which wonderfully helps to continiue my game :)

7. BestServedCold

BestServedCold Member

Well, the good news is the replies here made me think that perhaps a dubious stick of RAM I have may have contributed to last night's problem... and it must have...

Because every save but the last works now...

The bad news is I lost about two hours of play but that's acceptable. I can persevere and fight on. If I had had to completely start over, I'm not sure I would have been able to.

Thanks for your help as usual guys.

8. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

well I'm glad my ramblings helped you out, its a bitch when you have to start over.

9. BestServedCold

BestServedCold Member

Guys, is there any way I can humbly request that in one of the "Read This First" kind of stickies you guys have, someone could mention never quicksaving...?

I never had ANY save problems at all until I decided to quick save... maybe save someone else the two hours or so it cost me?

10. perk1973

perk1973 Member

I encountered this same problem when picking Burne's pockets. From what I've gathered, it seems a high number of saves on one map, especially if they overwrite other saves, is the cause. At my stage of the game, it's just an annoyance, but I do wish someone much smarter than me could look into the cause for the next update.:notworthy

11. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

That's strange, the only quicksave that was
    corrupt during my playing ToEE was while
    playing KotB starter pack. :confused:

12. perk1973

perk1973 Member

Oh,these weren't quick saves, they were regular ones. Never used quick save even once. Also, I forgot to add that I'm running Patch 2, TOEE Front End, and 5.0.3, in case any of that makes a difference.

13. maggit

Sorry, I kinda merged two posts in one. ;)
    The problem is well known from some time
    now, although I don't think it will ever be
    possible to fix it. The only thing you can do
    is save often and on different slots.

14. perk1973

perk1973 Member

OK. That kinda stinks, but I can live with it. Thanks for your prompt reply, though, as well as taking a noob's issue seriously.:D

15. maggit

Hmm I think that antivirus software may have
    something to do with corrupting saves... or not.
    Anyway, I had ZoneAlarm up to this week and
    changed my software to Kaspersky. And guess
    what? Almost every save gets corrupt when I play.
    -_-

------------------------------------------------------
    I also had a thought, it's Blue might know something,
    could it be that your time.event scripts corrupt saves?
    Ax said something about his game crashing with them
    on.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2007
Our Host!