New Weapons

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Cuchulainn, Sep 29, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Cuchulainn

Cuchulainn Windmill Tilter

Hey, I finaly got the texture lined up right. It still needs some work (such as scaling down), but I thought I'd throw up a pic. anyway. It's easier to see this way. This model was built from scractch in 3Ds Max and exported using Leksey's plugin. The posibilities are impresive, basicly anything that doesn't require animation can now be added to the game. :dance:

Other than being too big does this look wrong to anyone

Cuchulainn.

Attached Files:

2. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Other than the size, it looks real good to me.

3. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

4. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

Have you tried it in combat? I'm wondering if the lack of animation will effect it.

5. Cuchulainn

@Cujo: Hmm, that's more curved than the pic I was working from. Guess I shouldn't have gone with the first pic I found. I'll add a bit more curve.

@Cerulean the Blue: Yeah I was wondering the same thing, tested right off before worying about the texture. It picks up the animation from the weapon category in the protos, lucky for us the major animation is in the chracter and it just has to rotate the weapon in the world space. Things like bows or crossbows (or animated flaming swords damnit) are still out of reach but pretty much anything else weaponwise is very achievable. :yes:

Cuchulainn.

----Edit

@Cujo: I was thinking back to what you said about using a big rectangular blade as the base for a flaming sword, then working with the alpha channel in the applied texture. If you want since you're maxless at the moment I chan whip out a sword model with a big rectangulare blade for you to work your texturing magic on. Just give me a hilt style and a blade length.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2006
  6. Cerulean the Blue

Since you were talking about where the character grasps the weapon model, here is a little tidbit of information:

Certain weapons, like the Bugbear Greatsword, are grasped by bugbears by the end (hilt) of the weapon model, but when put into a player characters hands, they are grasped at the midpoint of the weapon. Apparently the size category of the wielder has an effect on where weapon models are grasped, at least for certain weapons.

7. Cuchulainn

Interesting, I'll have a look. Thanks for the heads-up.

Cuchulainn.

EDIT---

Do you have a proto ID for the sword? I tried the Bugbear Sword 4089 and my pc held it by the hilt.

On a side note has anyone ever seen the Bugbear Bardachie 4094 used in game? I noticed the grab point on it was set up near the head, and sure enough that's where a PC holds it when equiped. I was wondering if the venerable stinkmasters held it the same way, or if it just wasn't used.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2006
  8. Cerulean the Blue

The bugbear greatsword is 4192.

I have seen a bugbear bardiche used by bugbears, and they hold it correctly.

9. Cuchulainn

Alright I made another Kukri. This time I did some actual research and got an acurate reference pic. The profile EXACTLY matches an actual Kukri on this, although I took slight creative license with the hilt. The scale seems about right to me so barring further sugestions this is a final model. I had figured to replace the model on the current Kukri with this one unless someone objects, I can of couse add it as another item if that's prefered.

@Cerulean the Blue: Thanks! Aparently I'm going blind, I could've sworn it wasn't sitting right there in same folder this morning.:blink: Time to up the caffeine intake again. It does have the attachment point halfway up the blade. What I don't understand is that the bugbear Sword, Double Axe, Great Club, and Morning Star all attach at the hilt, but the Great Sword and Bardichie both attach at midpoint. I wondered if there was something funny about one of the Bugbear models, but at a cursory inspection they all appear the same accept for the applied texture. So unless it's something like female Bugbears only use the Great Sword and Bardichie and males don't use them, and the female model is screwey I'm at a loss.

Cuchulainn.

Attached Files:

10. JerryB

JerryB Established Member

I can't wait to charge the hill giant from across Emridy Meadows while shouting "Aayo Gurkhali!" That is wicked cool, and I think a morale check would be in order.

BTW, Happy Dashain.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2006
  11. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

@Cuchulainn; the new kukri pics look awesome, altho it looks like he's holding it backwards ( the first looked like some "mordern interpritations" I've seen)

as for the flame sword I was thinking about the size of a greatsword (lets just say 3'6") and the same handle style altho one with no crossguard would also look good. as for the blade width - well about 6" - 8" wide (bigger might be better as I'm going to alpha it anyway)

12. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

A ghurkha (sp?) would, more often than not use a kukri that way around when they sneak up behind someone and slash their enemy's neck right through to the spine, but other wise I'd imagine that it would face the other way around.

13. Cerulean the Blue

Only male bugbears use the greatsword and the bardiche. IIRC if you cast enlarge person on your character, they will hold the weapons correctly (i.e. by the end rather than the middle). An enlarged character will also hold any pole weapon by the end. And trolls and giants will hold the bugbear greatsword and bardiche by the end as well. It might have to do with size category, or the scale the model is drawn at.

14. smg225

smg225 Gyro Captain

I have absolutely no idea about graphic modding, but thought maybe these weapons having a hold point in the middle has to do with the way that, when bugbears holding these weapons stand around idly, they hold them with one hand on the hilt and the middle of the weapon resting on the other hand? Does it have anything to do with that?

15. Cuchulainn

@Cujo: That would be my complete ignorance of the fighting style for this knife showing.:questionm Is this better? It occured to me as I was taking the new screnies that you probably meant the blade should be exiting the hand on the opisite side from the thumb. I that is the case I can try it, but I'm worried about the strike anims. This shot shows idle, combat pose, and halfway through a strike. Let me know. I'm working on a Hungarian Axe ATM but I'll get the Flame Sword blank off to you witing a couple of days.

@Cerulean the Blue: Hmm. If enlarging your size switches how you hold the weapon you must be right. I'm still puzzled that most of the bugbear weapons attach at the hilt, as do large size PC weapons (Great Sword, etc.). I'll keep poking around and see if I figure it out.

@smg225: What you say makes a lot of sense. In the idle animation the weapon would attache normaly but in combat stance it would shift along the z axis x units. I dont understand why larger models would hold it at the hilt to begin with though. :scratchhe

Cuchulainn.

Attached Files:

Our Host!