Jesse's new spells thread

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Jesse Heinig, Aug 26, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Jesse Heinig

Jesse Heinig Established Member

Instead of having a bunch of different threads for each spell that I make, I think I'll just keep info updated in this one here. This way I can post my latest updates all in one place and it's easier than everyone having to pore through lots of different places to hunt down my current work.

At present, I am looking at about three more things to make Warp Wood function completely as desired . . . hopefully they can be done, it's a pretty neat spell!

I just finished and tested Circle of Death and Undeath to Death. (The latter was a little odd because I can't just critter_kill the targets, I have to do damage that is guaranteed to kill them.) I also did Horrid Wilting - it has a HUGE area - including the extra damage vs. plants and water elementals. I have a Mass Hold Monster that works and I'm going to probably do Mass Hold Person (Sor/Wiz 7) in the next couple of days.

Is there anything else for which people have special requests? I'm trying to puzzle out a way to do the various space-occupying spells (Wall of Fire, Blade Barrier, etc.). Anything in the PHB that you especially want to see added?

2. Jesse Heinig

Finished Holy Word and Blasphemy.

3. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

You can do a target_item.obj.critter_kill_by_effect(). It works on undead.

4. Jesse Heinig

Actually, I found out you just want to use target_item.obj.critter_kill(). critter_kill_by_effect() doesn't work on creatures that are immune to death effects. critter_kill() does. So, I switched up the spells to use that. :)

New update!

Special thanks to:
    Cerulean the Blue, for mentorship
    Allyx, for sample spells
    Darmagon, for documentation of script commands and lots of spells in the previous Co8 material

This set of files updates ToEE to include more high-level spells, a few extra lower-level spells, and a minor correction or two.

BUG FIXES
    Dispel Magic and Dispel Magic, Greater now use Abjuration casting particles (were using Evocation).
    Phantasmal Killer now uses Illusion casting particles (was using Necromancy).
    Silence spell now allows save to negate if cast directly on a creature.
    Warp Wood now correctly checks the actual size of an object when counting against the spell's power. Also allows you to unwarp a warped melee weapon if you target the item while it is on the ground. No longer affects shields.
    Web now uses Conjuration casting particles (was using Enchantment).
    Weird now uses Illusion casting particles (was using Necromancy).
    Numerous typo corrections in the spell names and descriptions.

ADDITIONS
    Blasphemy - Daze, weakness, paralysis, or death to non-evil creatures. Banishes outsiders.
    Circle of Death - Annihilates low hit die monsters in a radius around the caster!
    Heroes' Feast - 12 hours of attack bonus, immunity to poison, fear resistance and temp hit points. Cures disease.
    Hold Monster, Mass - Attempts to paralyze monsters in a radius.
    Hold Person, Mass - Attempts to paralyze people in a radius.
    Holy Word - Deafness, blindness, paralysis, or death to non-good creatures. Banishes outsiders.
    Horrid Wilting - 1d6/level damage (max. 25d6) in a phenomenal 60' radius area.
    Insanity - Causes a target to become permanently confused.
    Polar Ray - Cold beam ranged touch attack inflicts up to 25d6 damage, no save!
    Power Word Blind - Blinds creature with less than 200 hp.
    Power Word Kill - Kills creature with less than 100 hp.
    Power Word Stun - Stuns creature with less than 150 hp.
    Undeath to Death - Destroys low-level undead in a radius around the caster.
    Warp Wood - Destroys wooden missile weapons, unlocks wooden doors and containers. Warps wooden melee weapons. Can also be used to unwarp a melee weapon that is unattended (on the ground).

KNOWN BUGS
    Heroes' Feast for some reason doesn't trigger on all the people selected for it. Still testing.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2008
  5. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Great work! :clap:

Can't wait to start making some monsters that cast these on the players :dribble:

6. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Speaking of which, I asked for help a while ago in making a breath weapon for NPC's to use on PC's that has a line area of effect (I had the Black dragon breath weapon in mind, but also lighning bolt for NPC's as well) Darmagon posted a script to use trigonometry to fix the "NPC's can't cast line spells" problem, but it still doesn't work. Could you try to fix this issue at some point? Black dragons with breath weapons would really appreciate your efforts ;)

7. Jesse Heinig

Point me with a link to the thread and I'll take a look at Dar's work and see what I can figure out!

8. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

9. Spellslinger

Spellslinger Established Member

Well, if we are in request mood:
    Maybe an unnamed spellslinger could request the implementation of some high level arcane spells? As it is now, you cannot level the sorc up to 20 because you don't have enough lvl 7-9 spells to learn. Not sure if the bard has similar problems. Would be really neat to have some high level spells anyway. :)

10. mos

mos Member

I'm pretty interested in Wall of Fire/Ice and Blade Barrier; glad you're working on them. I noticed there's already a Wind Wall, have you tried looking at how it works for any hints?

11. Jesse Heinig

Try out my latest additions (above), including all the Power Word spells (one each of lvls. 7-9), the Circle of Death and Undeath to Death spells (lv. 6), Mass Hold Person (lv. 7), Mass Hold Monster (lv. 9), Horrid Wilting (lv. 8), Polar Ray (lv. 8), Insanity (lv. 7) - combined with the other spells from the Co8 package, that may help get you a little closer!
    With any luck I will soon get the various Wall spells implemented in some fashion, but those are just level 4-5. I'm also looking at Mordenkainen's Disjunction (lv. 9), Create Greater Undead (lv. 8), Greater Shout (lv. 8), Mass Charm Monster (lv. 8), Control Undead (lv. 7), and Waves of Exhaustion (lv. 7).

12. Jesse Heinig

Unfortunately, Wind Wall works just like the majority of static area spells: It places an effect on the character, which references a hard-coded component. Essentially, the Wind Wall is somewhere in temple.dll, and all that the script does is say "Put a Wind Wall on this character."
    I'm currently in testing for creating dynamic spell objects and placing scripts on them that have heartbeat effects. If I can get the first part (dynamic spell objects) to work correctly, I can do Walls of Stone, Iron, Ice, and Force. If I can get the second part to work (attached heartbeat script on the wall), then I can do Wall of Fire, too.

13. Spellslinger

Spellslinger Established Member

Give the man a cookie! Great news. :)

14. mos

mos Member

Here's a toughie, how about Contingency? In my pnp games, my wizards look forward to that spell more than they do fireball. :)

15. Jesse Heinig

I may be able to make some limited Contingency effects. This would take a LOT of work. No promises on anything before Christmas!

Minor update. I started fall term at the university so I'm spending most of my time on worthless academic coding instead of real-world hands-on (ToEE) coding. :)

Anyway, this new pack should have a couple minor goodies:

* Ranger/Paladin spell levels should all be updated so that they fit into the level 3/4 slots with Spellslinger's .dll fix. Removed their ***NOTE*** entries from the spell.mes file and updated their scripts to remove dar's checks for caster class level. Put the correct level in all of their rules files. Lemme know if I missed any.

* Might have Heroes' Feast working . . . might not. Needs testing. It should not be castable in combat at this point.

* I did some changes to Scorching Ray, based on people's comments about it not critting correctly. It might work right now - but there's something nagging in my head about it, so it needs testing!

* Fixed the ranges for Circle of Death and Undeath to Death - both are now Medium range.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2008
Our Host!