Further Respawning & a Feature Request

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Gaear, May 31, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Further Respawning

Now that Ted's Moathouse Respawning project appears to have been succesful (bug squashing aside), should we consider other respawning options? I know everyone's eager (or should be ;) ) to get busy with KotB, but I keep looking back at continuity questions for ToEE, and now I see something of a big hole since we opened the respawning gates.

The obvious contender for additional respawning would be the temple, but there could also be minor respawns at:

Nulb - Rentsch and Wat go down at the Waterside Hostel, and the next gang of thugs moves in.

Emridy Meadows - Ghost of the hill giant?

Ogre Caves - ogres move out, some other cave dwelling creature(s) move in.

Imeryd's Run - Some thing or other.

No doubt temple respawning would be a major endeavor.

Feature Request

Can we have that stupid Hommlet goblin-of-the-field removed? That's always bugged me. If some goblin was hanging around in Hommlet the Badgers would no doubt run it out of town or kill it. (And no, Ted's tenants don't count; they're not exactly out in plain view.) Plus, I've always hated that it had Black Jay's wife's ring. Why does it have that ring? "Don't worry, Black Jay, we'll go over yonder and kill that goblin standing over there. He's got the ring you've been looking for for the last ten years. When we return it to you, you'll no doubt be more friendly to us." It's always amounted to a go through the motions type-thing: talk to Black Jay, go kill the goblin, return to Black Jay moments after you just got done talking to him and turn over the ring. "Hello there, adventurers. It's been only a short time since I last talked to you, in fact you've never been out of my sight since then, but what news have you?" :roll:

Maybe the ring could be added to the Emridy hill giant's stash, or it could be found somewhere in the Moathouse. Anywhere other than right next door to Black Jay's place in Hommlet.

2. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Random encounter with goblin war party? Chief has the ring?

3. krunch

krunch moving on in life

I like the thought of that!..

Emridy Meadows = re-spawns two ettins and one dire bear in the same area of Emridy Meadows

OR

Emridy Meadows re-spawns a spell slinging Cloud Giant [just out taking a stroll in the fields...maybe senses the enormity of the aura of death emitted from that locale and was curious to check it out]

Last edited: May 31, 2006
  4. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Black dragons live in swamps don't they? ;)

5. Cuchulainn

Cuchulainn Windmill Tilter

I'll ad my vote in for Emridy Meadows as the next respawn point.

One thought though. Exactly how much experience do we wan't to be handing out in ToEE, keeping in the mind it's the second module in a series? Maybe before we load too much more into ToEE, somone (read: Lord_Spike) should seriously consider at what point the module is full. If the next module is expecting PC's of "x" level we don't want to seriously overpower the players heading into it.

Cuchulainn.

6. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

There is a file (can't remember the file name, but I know I have seen it) in the dat's that is limiting the XP handed out to only 70 % of what it should be. If there is too much XP to gain on one of the 3 modules, this percentage can be reduced to compensate. Though personally I'd like the percentage to be set to 100% and the temple denizens boosted in levels and more scouts/patroling temple troops to compensate for PC's having higher levels late in the game, but without a modder capable of a major .dll hacking opperation to add high level abilities for the monk and druid classes, and fixing the errors in the rogue and ranger classes that prevent them from advancing as they should, I don't see it happening though (but the tough Zuggy could be used instead of the original one if it does).

7. Macer Deathstriker

Macer Deathstriker Member

You could always place a xp level cap on each of the three modules. I hate those but they are a valued asset in an trilogy.

Macer

8. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

You know, thinking about it, I'm not sure the three modules really need to be connected. Maybe it's just me, but I enjoy trying out new characters and new party configurations.

Plus, as it stands right now, with the respawns and Verbebonc and correctly CRed monsters, there's enough XP in the game to get characters up to 12th to 16th level, depending on party size, even at a 70% reward rate, which I'd hate to see reduced further.

Which means best-case scenario you've got 8 levels to cover two modules and worst-case you have 4. And keep in mind going above 12th level is pretty dicey with the special ability and leveling problems with some of the classes.

Not to mention the work involved scaling up the threats in ToEE to make it viable for 5th level characters (or whatever the planned cap for KotB is).

Plus, let's face it, while ToEE has a story, it's not immediately personal. The Baldur's Gate series and Planescape: Torment were stories about the PC. ToEE just requires a party of adventurers to play through it. There's no real personality to worry about, just a collection of stats.

ETA: I do agree with the idea of Jay's ring showing up somewhere other than some random goblin hanging out 100' away from his house.

Last edited: May 31, 2006
  9. rufnredde

rufnredde Established Member Veteran

I would be happy to do the modding work on this, but would need someone to help out a bit with a balanced encounter. If you want a new encounter, just spec out the critters for me and I'll put them in the game and remove the old Goblin. My own feelings are that whatever it is it should happen at fairly low PC level. I have some ideas on how to trigger it but am open to suggestions.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2006
  10. krunch

krunch moving on in life

a must read post...whereabout of the ring of the wife of Black Jay

option 1. Have the ring from the dead wife of Black Jay turn up in the rainbow rock collection...gotta kill the skeletal priest and company to get it. Let the player draw their own conclusion from their imagination as to how it got there.

option 2. Have the ring from the dead wife of Black Jay turn up in the inventory of Rentsch at the Hostel when you kill him. Yes, Rentsch had his cronies kill Black Jay's wife and Rentsch kept the ring as a souvenir.

option 3. Have the ring from the dead wife of Black Jay turn up being worn on the pinky finger of Tolub the pirate. The idea being Tolub won the ring in a punching brawl from some rogue a few years ago. Have an extra line of dialogue where if someone wins a brawl with Tolub, the extra line of dialogue lets the player tell Tolub he will take the ring instead of the 100 gold coins and Tolub agrees.

option 4. Add a new evil NPC to the game who is a vagrant [actually a level 4 rogue]. Have him be a bum who walks around Hommlet begging money from people and he always acts poor and woe is me. His name in the game would be, get this, "Chester". Yes, he's a peeping tom who has never been caught as of yet in the game. Make it so when the party is walking around Hommlet at night, the party catches him in the act of peeping and a fight can ensue, according to the dialogue line selected. Chester has the ring. If the party kills him, it's in his inventory.

[EDIT] If gaear and spike give the okay on story line for one of my above options and one of the modders don't mind modding the specific option gaear and spike choose, if gaear and spike like and choose one of my ideas, I'd like for their preference to be modded - if one of these is given a thumbs up by gaear and spike and is okay with a modder who would want to mod it.

11. Macer Deathstriker

Macer Deathstriker Member

Why not add a new location of a minor goblin cave to place the ring holding goblin and a small tribe of other goblins for level 1-2 parties to start with before attempting the moat house. Cave could be a bit bigger then the ogre cave but house no more then 20 goblins and maybe a worg.

Let thats my DM idea. can help ya on any modding part not in my forte unfortunately.

Macer

12. rufnredde

rufnredde Established Member Veteran

To all:

I can mod but at this time, I am not willing to put my arse on the line, for what is a balanced encounter. If someone is willing to come up with a concrete idea and spec it out, I will implement it.

Your idea Macer has merit but as this time a new world map point takes a dll mod and is not possible.

13. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Here's some props and recognition for rufnredde in case you aren't familar with his ability.

Rufnredde is the one who recently fixed an age old, long-time broken issue with helping Countess Tillahi. It was an issue with a couple of MOBs and script he fixed; it was not just change some dialogue to fix it...a very capable modder. Plus, he also recently made a database for modders at Co8 to use to speed up their checking programmed information in the game.
    * Because of rufnredde, you can now enter the temple using an entrance other than the 1st level door of the temple and, now, can offer valid directions to Countess Tillahi and Sir Juffer for them to walk out of the temple and not get lost where you get the reward from Countess Tillahi later in the game. Before rufnredde corrected the issue, you could only select the "greedy pig" option to get the reward later in the game from her. Now, it is fixed and works.

14. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Damn! I leave for work for a few hours...and the board goes crazy!
    :grin:
    Get rid of the goblin; place the ring somewhere else. It would most likely have changed hands several times over the intervening decade, winding up in the lair of some beast or other. The ogre cave sounds nice, but the PC's only get there after going into the temple, so it's out. The hill giant probably makes the most sense. I like a Black Dragon for Imeryd's run. And the Giant could re-spawn as a huge skeleton...since that's mostly what the meadow seems to make. In the ogre cave, I'd put trolls; they wouldn't mind the stench of ogre since they smell even worse. I doubt any more re-spawning would be worthwhile, especially in the temple. As far as that goes, it'd be nice if a timer could be added that would allow for replacement of troop monster losses. The trick is, once the leader of an area goes down, they get no more recruits because no is doing any recruiting. It all sounds rather complicated for what our abilities are, and thus not a wise use of our time. It might be better to improve their tactics so they aren't as easily killed in the first place.

15. krunch

krunch moving on in life

just a thought about the future...in a future MOD version release [not the Co8 5 MOD] for ToEE in Emridy Meadows, after the giant AND the skeletal priest are both slain, I would like to see random encounters in Emridy Meadows from just walking around the Emridy Meadows map screen.

Our Host!