Multiclass Spellcaster Penalty

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Feanor, Feb 20, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Feanor

Feanor Member

Does anyone have any ideas on modding the annoying spells-per-day penalty for multiclassed spellcasters? I haven't been able to find any posts on it, so in case you're unfamiliar with what I'm talking about Troika "improved" the rules by not allowing multiclassed Arcane/Divine spellcasters their full allotment of spells per day. For example, if my Sorcerer/Cleric casts three Cure Light Wounds then she can cast three fewer Magic Missiles. An ambient message "Not enough spells of that level" appears, even though the radial menu says she has spells left. I thought it was a bug, and wrote to Troika/Atari tech support, and they told me it was an "intentional game feature" to improve "balance". I think it's just dumb, and told them so, because being multiclassed has its own inherent penalty: that is, an eighth-level character is still only casting spells of the level of fourth-level characters, not to mention that he or she is still using fourth-level base attack and save tables.

Anyway, I would think that the penalty would probably be hard-coded (although I would love for someone to tell me I'm wrong) but I was hoping that someone might know how to mod the spells-per-day tables as a workaround. I've looked in the Rules files using ProtoEd, but can't find anything. I'm thinking of trying to extract the other .dats (besides 3) and see if there's anything there, but I'm hoping that someone will already know something and save me some tedious trial-and-error.

2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

That problem most certainly would be in the temple.dll file, a file that (unfortunately) very few of us know how to edit successfully.

3. Feanor

Feanor Member

In case anyone else is interested in this problem, I've discovered a partial workaround with the cheat code spell_memorized_add. This refreshes your memorized spells as if you've rested and, used judiciously, can roughly make up for the stupid multiclass limitation.

I went ahead and tried extracting those other .dat files, with no luck. 1 and 2 are just art, and 4 seems to be almost identical in content to 3. What I've been looking for is a table that determines number of spells per day by class and level (like in the Infinity Engine games). It seems like there has to be something somewhere that provides that info for the game.

How about someone who knows how to work with temple.dll (like Moebius)? Could a mod be made to fix this?

4. krunch

krunch moving on in life

IMO - someone who knows what they are doing might consider making a strictly optional mod that could do what you are referring to...alas, there are too many rules lawyers here [who are the modders] and would, most likely, never make a permanent cheat that always impacts every game played by every person who plays ToEE

5. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Well, what he's proposing isn't actually cheating, it's making the game more in-line with the rules. cleric 4 /wizard 4 should have all the spells per day of a 4th level cleric and a 4th level wizard. What he's saying the game does is draw any spells you cast from the same pool, so if you had 2 2nd level Cleric spells and 2 2nd level Wizard spells, you could only cast 2 2nd level spells period, when by the rules you should be able to cast 2 from each class.

6. Feanor

Feanor Member

Yes, exactly. I only want the rules restored to the official D&D version, an objective that rules lawyers should support. It irritates me that the game designers arbitrarily decided that multiclassed spellcasters were too powerful and penalized them. It sounds to me like someone there just doesn't like multiclassing, or at least not combining arcane and divine classes. It's kind of like saying, "You're party MUST consist of: 1 Dwarven Fighter, 1 Elven Wizard, 1 Halfling Rogue, 1 Human Cleric, and you may choose between a Half-Elven Ranger or a Half-Orc Barbarian."

Here is the text of the reply that Troika sent me: "Multiclassing is about weighing strengths and weaknesses of the classes and finding a way to make them work. In this case, the strength becomes the ability to cast spells from both schools, while the weakness is you're
    still only able to cast the same amount of spells as you were before. This is an
    intentional part of the game, as otherwise it would make multiclass casters far too powerful."

They are completely mistaken. While the strength is that you get to cast spells from both schools, the weakness is that you are casting lower level spells, which makes a huge difference. The very slightly higher number of total spells per day does not even come close to making up for it. A 4th level Cleric gets to cast a total of 12 spells per day (not counting Wisdom bonus) and a 4th level Sorcerer gets 15. A 2/2 dual-class gets 17 total, but they are all 0 or 1st level. The 4th level single-classed characters are already casting 2nd level spells, and are only 1 or 2 levels away from casting 3rd level (i.e. Fireball, Cure Serious Wounds, Remove Curse/Disease). The multiclassed caster doesn't get 3rd level spells from both classes until 11th level. That's a long time to wait to be able to cast a Fireball.

They are also mistaken about the fundamental purpose of multiclassing, and of playing the bloody game. Multiclassing is "about" role-playing, creating the character you want to play. Looking at the game from the perspective of a Munchkin, there's no reason to multiclass in a computer game where the player controls the entire party. 6 single-classed characters are far more powerful than 3 multiclassed ones. And Munchkinism is missing the whole point of the game, anyway. Besides, those kind of players are just going to find the cheat codes and play as minor deities.

By the way, I don't know if I hallucinated the cheat code in my previous post working, but now I can't get it to work anymore.

7. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Feanor's right...this should be fixed if at all possible. I've played many multi-class characters, but never split Cleric & Magic-User. Came close once, but opted for Ranger / Magic User instead. This is something that the designers should not have done arbitrarily. It's got me wondering if a lot of those so-called "rules glitches" that people have been busting their asses to fix weren't just things they thought needed to be "improved."

8. Feanor

Feanor Member

I typed "you're" above, when I meant "your". don't know why, I know better. Sorry.

Our Host!