Do we want elmo to sober up.....

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by darmagon, Dec 20, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. darmagon

darmagon stumbler in the dark

I have a script that will sober up elmo. It uses Cujo's suggestion about changing the model for elmo from 503 to 100. The problem is I haven't been able to find any way to change the model on the fly for an npc so the script involves destroying the old elmo and replacing him with a new version (ie. a new protos entry indentical to elmo except for the model) So with this script, after the first time you recruit elmo into the party, he will forever after be the non-swaying elmo, even if you remove him from the party.

I can't just reverse the process by destroying the new sober elmo and replacing him with the old version from the protos because the new elmo may have: gained levels, added to his inventory, been struck with a permanent (or simply long lasting) spell or effect etc. and none of that information will survive the change back.

So do we want elmo to sober up (permanently after he has first joined the party.) Or should we just leave things as is?

My vote is to sober him up. After all, the drunkeness is supposed to be just camouflage and it serves no game purpose after he has joined the party. And the swaying does get a little ridiculous after a while.

EDIT: please note that elmo's dialog will remain the same. changing all that would be a very large task, especially all of the sound files.

That's my $1.00 ^ 0.15051499783199059760686944736225th worth.

Darmagon

Last edited: Dec 20, 2005
  2. Moosehead

Moosehead Rubber nipple

I think actually that it should be part of a plot device after he's figured out whether to trust the party or not. If he doesn't, then he'll continue acting like a drunk until he's determined for sure whether the party is a friend or an enemy to the temple. I'm not sure how that could be scripted, but I do know that he stops swinging when given a polearm or a holy weapon. Maybe an undroppable/equip-only item could be given to him and equipped from the start, and then scripted to change into "holy" when he determines that the party is trustworthy. And then some modifiers to go against the holy bonus could be added to him via script too? you know, to balance it all out. I don't know. It's an idea.

if they turn out to be a friend of the temple, i think it would only be natural that he turn on the party or at the very least leave.

I'm actually working on an encounter between an evil party working for the temple and a good party consisting of elmo, otis, rufus, burne, calmert, y'dey and terjon (and either jaroo or y'dey's helper) as part of the endgame that i'm working on for the evil (and possibly neutral, depending on player choice) alignments.
    But i don't know exactly how to implement it just yet.

3. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

A quick dialogue fix could also be made to give the player the choice of "drunk Elmo" or "sober Elmo", just in case some people like the swaying.
    Eg...
    "Sure you can join Elmo" - stays drunk.
    "Yeah you can join, but I think you should give up the sauce first" - sobers up.

4. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

I like Allyx's idea

5. the_arkane

the_arkane chaos

I second cujo!

6. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

The swaying has never bothered me, but if your willing to do it there is certainly a market for it :)

7. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Another vote for the Allyx idea...

BTW, how hard wouyld it be just to give him something that is holy? A holy weapon being equipped stops the swaying; I don't know if this might be an easier path to a fix. Add some sort of talisman with holy properties into his inventory, then destroy it if he's dropped from the party. Sway/non-sway in a jiffy. Just a thought.

8. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

I just did a test with Elmo and gave him the HolyMace+1 and it didn't affect the swaying. I gave him platemail and MW metal tower sheild and it reduced it somewhat. The thing is, he is suppose to act drunk, it's part of the scenario and game. Yes, it is annoying, but is it is in line with the storyline. I substitute him with a boosted up Fruella because I don't like the constant swaggering. That's just me tho, but if someone wants to mod it, fine with me.

9. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I say SOBER, however you impliment it.

10. Shiningted

I think the Holy thing is incorrect: Its a two-handed weapon that makes him change animations and sober up (afaik), I suspect the holiness of the weapon is irrelevant.

11. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

I believe you are correct, Ted. It was a two handed axe that was holy, as I now recall. Perhaps that's why he asks for a BIG axe...? I know I gave it to him 'cause it was big...and the swaying stopped.

But FFS, Wizgeorge...it's only an act. He's not the drunk he makes himself out to be. He and his brother Otis are trusted agents of the Viscount of Verbobonc, Rangers warding the townsfolk against the evil lurking close at hand. It ought to stop once he's recruited.

12. Moosehead

Moosehead Rubber nipple

How about:
    He "sobers up" if your party is good,
    only sobers up if you ask him to and your party is neutral,
    but keeps up the act if the party is evil until he decides he's seen enough and leaves the party (and maybe dumps all the stuff you've equipped him with as to say "take your crap and go to hell")...

Or at least, that's what I'm planning on doing with him now.

13. Shiningted

Drops the charade if good, has the option of not being annoying if nuetral, leaves if bad. That works, makes sense AND kills 2 birds with 1 stone. I like!

14. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

I just did a test and I gave Elmo a MWgreataxe and platemail and it had minimal affect. T1 module never does say how he acts/responds after he joins the party. The ruse he is using is okay, but once it's determined the party is of good align then why continue? He doesn't have to confess to being an agent/spy, but there's no reason to continue the drunk routine.

15. Moosehead

Moosehead Rubber nipple

wizgeorge, did you try giving him a polearm? like the glaive or spear?

Our Host!