Playful NPCs 1.3 patch

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Shiningted, Nov 20, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Hooray! The patch is here!

Playful NPC's 1.3 - Pishella's Big Day Out is a patch for the Co8 4.0.0 mod. You must have that mod installed.

It contains the following:

New NPC follower: For anyone living under a rock who doesn't know :p Pishella has been converted into an NPC follower. I have given her some new dialogue, voiced as far as possible from an IWD:HoW character. Cujo has provided a new robe, new stats and a new portrait.

New voices: I have added a few new vocal opportunities to 9 of the current recruitable NPCs: Elmo, Meleny, Spugnoir, Darley, Fruella, Riana, Serena, Lareth, and Zaxis. These will fire on certain maps, some of the time. They are mostly obscure, just a few lines here and there per character. Examples:

- When Meleny enters a useless area (one of the empty upstairs areas in Hommlet, empty house in Nulb etc) she will ask, "I wonder what this room is for?" I'm sure we all do, Meleny.

- Should Spugnoir encounter spiders in the Inn for some reason, he will remind you of his arachnophobia.

- Zaxis will make some comments about "the brave adventurers descending into the depths" in the temple.

- Elmo will offer to shout beers when he enters a pub (thats probably the only one you will hear regularly).

- Various others I will leave folks to find.

They don't fire every time, by any means - having Elmo sound off each time u hit the WW map when coming in, or upstairs, or downstairs, well, you'd get sick of it pretty quick. They happen occasionally. Its just a little addition for sure, but it doesn't require any extra sound files, just a few lines in the .py files. And Zaxis has had his 'enter combat' and 'dying' voices added, I missed those last time.

Gwythur's Armour Check fixes All added, as well as his new mithril buckler and his faction fix for the spiders, who also can no longer be webbed :clap: The buckler is 6340 now.

Nomad461's fix to Brother Smyth's dlg I'm not sure exactly what weapons this fixed but it doesn't crash the dlg ;) and the little fixes are as important as the big ones. :beer:

Ah Fong has been added since its only a few kb to slip him in, and it will add him for anyone not playing with DH. :shame:

There's some other stuff Cujo has slipped in, but you folks don't need to know about that just yet...

Gimme some feedback on the voices btw, I haven't heard a peep about the last lot (the 'enter combat' ones).

Install Instructions:

Firstly, make a backup. Do it!

Secondly, if u r using the Toffee version, make sure Co8-4.0.0 is currently activated. If in doubt, open the root Temple of Elemental Evil folder. If you see a folder called data.Co8-4.0.0 then it is NOT the currently activated mod - use Toffee to fix this.

Next (whether u r using Toffee or not):

Download the file below, and unzip to the following folder:

C:\Program Files\Atari\Temple of Elemental Evil

It will overwrite the existing Data and Modules folders with some new stuff, so click ‘yes to all’ when prompted.

Then, CLEAR THE MAPS CACHE!! You MUST do this!! To do this, go to

C:\Program Files\Atari\Temple of Elemental Evil\modules\ToEE\maps

And delete all the weird files in there (NOT the folders!) Or, use the option in Toffee (so much easier).

And thats it :) Enjoy!

http://files.co8.org/mods/Playful NPCs 1.3.zip

Last edited: Nov 20, 2005
  2. Gwythur

Gwythur Member

I'm sorry, Ted, but somehow, the skill check fixes were not added. The spiders and buckler work fine, however. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to work today, so I won't be able to get a fix up for the next 12 hours or so.

3. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Are these armor fixes in the protos.tab or somewhere else in the game code? If it's the former, I guess I'm waiting on those before starting my work on the creature stats.

4. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Your not the only one waiting for the protos.tab Kalshane, Cujo's asked me to add some new potions:evil_laug .

5. Shiningted

Don't get me started on the things that dog slips in there... damn some of them look good though :grin:

Sorry about the protos.tab mess-up, how Cujo's stuff, my stuff and the latter bits of Gwythurs stuff, but not everything else, got in is beyond me, I copy-pasted til I thought I'd go blind. More feedback in an hour when I get to the bottom of this.

6. Shiningted

Update: Well, i got to the bottom of it. I backed up my game before hacking in the new stuff. But my new stuff got hacked onto Cujo's protos.tab in one folder, then somehow Gwythur's stuff got hacked onto the backup instead. <sigh> I did the mithril buckler last of all, somehow that got into the right one.

Gwythur, if you would be good enough to put your stuff back on, I'd appreciate it, I have work in a little while.

Sorry for the colossal screw-up folks. I can make mods, I can test mods, but boy howdy I can't pack mods for sh*t.

7. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

Just a quick question. Do you realize that Zaxis now has a 98 Charisma in your protos? If you did, why?

8. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Wow. Tom Jones would have nothing on him.:)

9. Gwythur

Gwythur Member

I re-added all my armor check fixes, and ran a quick playtest. My changes seem to be working as expected. For those who weren't aware, masterwork armors with a zero skill check penalty were still adding the masterwork bonus to the hide, move silently, sleight of hand, and tumble checks. These armors were given skill circumstance penalties (-1) on these checks to offset the improper bonus without changing thier masterwork status, and without adding an actual skill check penalty (which would have resulted in increased miss chances in combat for non-proficient users).

The armors and shields modified in this way are masterwork padded (both), small masterwork padded, masterwork leather (both), small masterwork leather, mithral shirt, masterwork gladiator, magic Celtic tattoos, darkwood buckler, large darkwood shield, and large mithral shield.

Additional changes to masterwork status of armors were made. Bone helm, corset, and hoodless circlet lost masterwork status. Wooden elvish shield gained masterwork status, and the aforementioned skill circumstance penalties. In addition, the corset lost the inexplicable +2 dexterity bonus.

Cujo, since the corset was one of your items, I apologize for changing it. May I humbly suggest that if you restore the +2 dexterity bonus, you increase the value comparable to gloves of dexterity +2?

I also added a small change to InvenSource.mes, allowing Otis to sell the very excellent mithral buckler 25% of the time. Be aware that the mithral buckler has no skill check penalty, and no spell failure chance, but is quite expensive. As far as I can tell, there's really no reason not to equip a wizard with one, since there should be no penalties, even with non-proficiency in shields. Your mileage may vary.

Oh, and Zaxis' charisma was restored to the original 15. Thanks for the heads-up, Blue.

Installation instructions: Please install Ted's playful NPCs 1.3 before overwriting with my files. Once again, make sure that Co8 4.0 is the active mod, if you are using ToEEFE. Extract to your ToEE directory, and the files should properly install to the /data/rules subdirectory, overwriting the pre-existing files. Have fun!

Edit: Due to an error on my part, the InvenSource.mes that I originally uploaded was incorrect. The error has been corrected. Please re-download.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2005
  10. Shiningted

Zaxis did a what now? Well thats just weird, all I did to him was a few san_ values, nowhere near his attributes. Glad u picked it up.

11. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

oops, I was cheating but when I checked his stats today they were fine (just looked there are two of them, I bet one is the one you're sposed to meet at the snake pit) so I thought ted must've noticed and fixed it and didn't say anything. he also has 3 extra feats, point blank shot, precise shot and quick draw.

@Gwythur, I don't care if you change my stuff, well don't change it to much from the idea I had but most of my ideas are looks based, and I don't know the rules so I really need feedback on my items. you're probably going to have a feild day on some of my other items. feel free to PM me about why I made things the way I did just to see what I was thinking.

I've been playing with dragons today, I changed a couple of the animal companions into a white dragon whelp and a red dragon whelp and made a modifid fire ball for its breath weapon (1/4 area, 4x damage, no target self) cos I couldn't get a cone of fire to work. its fun and they're not over powered, well atleast in temple level 4 and the nodes where there are still enemies left alive to test them on (had 3, 2 red 1 white all killed by ogres in the room to the right of Livs trap after killing the bug bears). if this is ever included it means no more pandas or black bears. well atm it does.

12. bradrinwi

bradrinwi Established Member

yeah yeah cujo im working on it..:) opandas black bears and dragons oh my:)

13. Gawain

Gawain Member

I just installed Playful NPC 1.3 patch followed by Gwythurs armour check fix on the top of the non Toffee Co8 4.0 patch, and I now get start-up problems - I get past the Atari logo etc to the initialising sector data part and then I get thrown back to windows, i.e no opening movie, no game. I played yesterday okay using the non Toffee Co8 4.0 patch, so I'm assuming it's something in today's patches. Apologies for throwing spanner in works - appreciating all the hard work though.

Thanks.

14. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Gawain, the new playful npc's patch is set up for toffee instalations... open your modules folder - you should have a ToEE folder and a C08-4.0.0 folder. Open the Co8-4.0.0 and copy the contents into the ToEE folder, clear the map cache (just in case).

Alternatively wait until all the bugs have been worked out - shouldn't take long (Ted's on the case).

15. Morpheus

Morpheus Mindflayer Veteran

Allyx: If he doesn't use ToEEFE (like he says), he probably doesn't have a Co4-4.0.0 folder.

Did you install anything else apart from Co8 4.0.0, Gawain? And are you sure you extracted Ted's patch into the right directory, overwriting existing files (see Ted's installation instructions)?

Our Host!