Summoning Bugs

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by camelotcrusade, Nov 10, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. camelotcrusade

camelotcrusade Head Boy

Hi all,

I played this game when it came out, happily modded with you peeps, and put it on the shelf. Just installed Coo8 mod 4.0 and I'm rockin' down the house. Thanks, y'all awesome!!

That said, I was wondering where one is to report bugs or request tweaks. I didn't see an official thread, just lots of separate ones.

I have a request/bug for any modder who takes pity on somebody who loves to summon monsters. Yep... that's me. I like to summon armies, so I couldn't help but notice that somebody said the summoning limit could be nudged up a hair... to maybe 6, 7, 8, or even 9. Any chance that is coming in a future tweak?

So anyway, the bug. Summons are supposed to act right when they are summoned, right? Instead it rolls them initiative and if you summon something speedy then usually you are out of luck and it won't go until next turn. I don't think it takes away a counter on its rounds out on the battlefield (?) but it's kind of annoying when your summon comes in backward in time.

Another bug is no viper poison. I would love it if somebody could help me justify the tiny fiendish viper. Poor little bugger. He doesn't even posion. I watched one hit three times for 1d2 damage (that's *with* augment summon and +4 str, mind you) and no saves for poison. That can't be right... I'll let you know when I get to higher level vipers if they have bad mojo, but an old memory tells me they don't. Please, dear modders, can I have poison?

Also, the moathouse spiders attacking me mock me with their webs and racial immunities, but my small spider I summoned doesn't have this "racial immunity." Could we make the spiders immune to webs?

Finally, Ray of Clumsiness would look more professional if it had a proper description and punctuation. I think it's cool you can add spells, but c'mon, if we can't maintain Troika's lame-o standards what have we got going on?

three cheers for all of ya,

camelotcrusade

Update: I just fought the moathouse huge viper, and it bit me for 1 damage and no roll for poison. Pathetic. Can we give 'em venom?

Update #2: Is it just my imagination, or did it used to name your animal companion in the hover text. My jackal should be Hee Haw but it just says Jackal. Same thing with Rufus the wolf.

Update #3: Added the bug to this post. Man, I'm out of it tonight.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2005
  2. Gwythur

Gwythur Member

You should have had the option of naming the animal companion when your druid or ranger called for one. The name will not actually show up in game until you talk to the animal comanion with a character by using the "talk" command from the radial menu. Of course an animal companion knows its own name, and if it's the only creature selected, the name should appear in the hover text.

3. camelotcrusade

camelotcrusade Head Boy

Ha! Did not know that. Was it always like that? I don't know if I've ever talked to it, I think I thought it was a bot once I realized nobody gets mad if it dies. What's with the chicken, anyway? :p

Thanks for the post!!

4. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Chickens are fierce warrior fowl, capable of the most amazing feats of endurance and bravery. This bird, for instance, just slew the guy who cast fireball on it: bottom line...don't "F" with the 'cock!

Attached Files:

5. krunch

krunch moving on in life

If ShiningTed reads your last post, I bet ShiningTed will make a new 'chicken' encounter for Allyx to add to his new top secret MOD!..

6. camelotcrusade

camelotcrusade Head Boy

Point taken.... touché.

But what about non-poisonous vipers? Am I the only activist for snake rights?

:p

7. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Honestly, someone ought to be able to do this. It's quite appropriate, and obviously needed. Not like we're adding magical spell casting abilities to a skeleton or anything...

*ducks*

:D

8. krunch

krunch moving on in life

I guess everyone (most people anyway) hate to have to fight poisonous monsters [just ask Sam Wise who had to rescue Froddo].

9. camelotcrusade

camelotcrusade Head Boy

.... and if Ted is reading.... +1 fire damage to the chicken's strike and make it fiendish! Then I'd use it, but I always name my chickens HenneyPenney so I'd have to make it EvilHenneyPenney.

And while I'm dreaming, I always thought summon undead I would be a cool spell to put in, especially if you got a skeleton with a random weapon. I got a kick out of casting animate dead in the old BG/IWD days and getting skellies with random weapons... if you were lucky you even got one with a few flaming arrows. Remember that? It was sweeeeet.

But I'd give it all up for snake venom. If anybody actually does it, I will summon nothing but tiny vipers in homage, and then cackle madly while the enemy is injected with poison in addition to their 1 damage.

You didn't think big mama knew dat trick, didja...

10. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

that chicken looks like it has Energy Resistance to fire - the balor and the chicken from hell

11. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

I have been poisoned by this snake before. I don't know why it doesn't work for you.

12. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Chickens? I told u guys bout my burning chicken experiences right? (Sure I mentioned this on the Discussion forum once).

We were playing Ravenloft years ago, the Ranger had a chicken companion (no idea why, mainly for laughs I think). We slept inside a doorway and firetrapped it or something (one of the Magic Users had that spell and wanted to use it since we were resting and learning spells anyway). Next morning, we wanted to go thru the doorway, but of course couldn't... so the Ranger sent his chicken through...

<woof>

and so we had roast chicken. :)

Very alignmentally wrong, but we were playing for fun, not hard core role-players back then. Didn't get far into that module, my poor monk got fanged twice and was suddenly 3rd level and very depressed. :(

PS Don't ask for fire chickens unless you really want them... :flamed:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2005
  13. camelotcrusade

camelotcrusade Head Boy

@ Cerulean -- really? Are you sure? Anybody else been poisoned by snakes or that knows their snakes have no poison? Could I trouble some of you to summon tiny vipers, or any vipers?

I don't know how or I'd post a screenshot of what's going on with my serpents. None of my snakes have a poisonous bite and there's no fort save for it in the die roller. The moathouse one doesn't -- I'll let you know about the one in the temple (I'd have to let it bite me, of course).

14. Obadiah

Obadiah Member

I'd like to post my chicken story too. Except, my chicken is a rat. But let's pretend it was a chicken, K. (BTW, that photo was hysterical.) Anyway, simple dungeon crawl, weird noises coming from the next room. One of the other players had cast a light spell on a rat for some reason. I tied the rat to an arrow, lit the arrow on fire and launched it into the next room, inadvertently striking an unaware gnoll in the chest with it. Death by flaming rat arrow. Not really a chicken story, but close.

15. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

I've also been poisoned by the snake in the moathouse (and the one in the temple). Have no idea about summoned snakes, though, as I never really looked at the roll history in the rare instances I've summoned one.

Our Host!