NWN style HP on level up

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Borsook, Aug 26, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Borsook

Borsook Established Member

To me max hp on level up seems to much like cheating... on the other hand I hate it when my barbarian rolls out 1... so I was wandering would it be possible to implement hp gain NWN-style i.e. you can't roll less then half of your hit dice (so d10 is 5-10 etc)

2. Tenser's_Beard

Tenser's_Beard Member

Or , the alternative in the PnP is default to half, so you never get screwed by a bunch of low rolls ... like 3 1's in a row !~

3. Lord Plothos

Lord Plothos Established Member

In my PnP campaign, we treat average as a minimum. That is, you roll and if at any point you drop below what would be average for your levels and con, you just get bumped up. Result is most of the time people are about average, but a good roll can help you a bit until you roll badly once.

4. Borsook

Well, that's exactly what I mean... so, can it be implemented?

5. Drifter

Drifter Established Member

Yes.

(10 characters la...)

6. Lord Plothos

Lord Plothos Established Member

Actually, I think what I had in mind was a bit more complicated than just 5-10 for a d10 each level. I meant the average for all your levels was your minimum. Thus, rather than rolling a d10 and giving a 5 for a roll of 1-5, say, we compare your hp to what the average character would have at that point. So, if I'm a fighter with a 10 con and roll a 10 at second level, then woohoo, because I've got 20 hp. If I then roll a 1 for my hp upon gaining 3rd level, I am stuck with it, and I've got 21. If, however, I get a 1 at second level, it'd get bumped up to 15. If I then roll a 10, I've got 25.
    Anyway....

7. Borsook

So, will You be so kind??

I'd say that's needlessly complicated..., just exluding lower half of the hit-dice will give similiar reaults.

8. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

On the contrary, excluding lower half hit die will guarantee you are ALWAYS well above average. But yes, Lord PLothos' idea is a bit complicated for a .dll hack where every byte counts.
    Perhaps if you withdraw that remark about Drifter's last patch being 'too much like cheating', he might be inclined to help? Or you could read the threads where for memory he has detailed the changes he made, and learn what to do.

9. Borsook

Withdraw? It was not a personal remark or anything, I do believe that getting always max HP destroys a bit the balance of the game. Drifter is doing terrific job, and a max HP on level is a very needed patch (hell many D&D based games have it "built-in" e.g. IWD series). It's just when I personally use it I feel like cheating... on the other hand I'm not "ironman" enough to accept 1 point gain on d12...

10. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Fiddlesticks. Just edit your character when you first make your character so your character can have more hit points. (instead of 1d10, set it to like 1d16 or 1d18; if you play through level 20 [by the time you are ready to kill Zuggtmoy] your character will likely have over 200 hit points with constitution bonuses.)

11. Borsook

It's not the point of having more HP, I don't want to have that much HP, that's why I'm not that keen on using Max Hp, I'd like to get more or less average+.

12. the_arkane

the_arkane chaos

so make it 3-10 on d10. when i used to play (way back when) one dm would let us roll one time if we got a 1 or 2 on d10 roll for hp,if we got 1 or 2 we were stuck though.

13. Borsook

Fair enough. So:
    d4- 2-4
    d6 - 3-6 or 2-6?
    d8 -3-8
    d10 - 3-10
    d12 4-12
    What do you say?

14. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

Max HP per Level is balanced if you also use it for NPCs. This gives all enemies max hp as well.

15. Borsook

Yes, but then everybody has more hp, and thus need more hits to die, maybe I'm just picky, but this changes gameplay significantly (like some powerful spell cease to be that powerful...)

Our Host!