Store Inventory Update --- Beware the glaringly obvious.

Discussion in 'Negative Energy Plane' started by Aginor37, Sep 27, 2003.

Remove all ads!
  1. Aginor37

Aginor37 Member

Beware the glaringly obvious.

Okay, the good news is I just made a breakthrough in the project I had been working on. The bad news, and the reason for this seperate post, is that the problem was so simple nobody even bothered to think about it.

When we are digging through all these files, trying to make changes and bend them to our will, be sure to not ignore the really simple things while looking for the complex solution to the issue at hand.

My example of this was with trying to change merchant stock. Myself and several others were digging all through the game files looking for the great secret to making it work, when the answer was staring us in the face all the time. We had already found the proper file to change, but since the original file dev forgot to comment out (//) his comments, the file wasn't loading properly.

Some jobs are going to take a ton of thought and work, but don't let that cause you to be blind to the little things like the above. Check the small, simple things, as you might just find the easiest soltuion within them.

I'm not trying to come off as a jerk here, so please don't take offense at my "preaching". Believe me, it was a forehead-slapping moment for me too. Just keep the small stuff in mind,

2. indio

indio Member Veteran

preach away! your a damn genius! I've been trying to hex the .exe , save games and every other damn thing trying to get this to work! Sheesh... thx man :)

3. Mr. Underhill

Mr. Underhill The Keeper of the Arcane Toiletries

Brilliant...your right, Just goes to show that sometimes the simplest explanation is usually the best one. Long live "Ockham's razor."
    Great now Dhoom can add all the masterwork items to the stores...hehehe..j/k. ;)

4. Nomad_Wanderer

Nomad_Wanderer Established Member Veteran

Like the Giant Crayfish said.. Good Work..

Now we can quiet all the peeps complaing about sling bullets..

"But My level 7 sorceror uses his sling ALL The time... I can't play without sling bullets!"

:)

This also means Dhooms masterworks can come on into the Actual store right?

Awesome

5. olaf

olaf Member

So how would I stick a given spell scroll on a vendor? Burne for example?

Thanks
    olaf

edit: I extracted the InvenSource.mes file to D:\Temple of Elemental Evil\data\rules and there I added the scrolls I was interested in to various merchants. It doesnt work though, none of them have the scrolls for sale ingame. I rested a while, and even started a new game. Nothing.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2003
  6. Dhoom

Dhoom BIG Troll Berserker

Yeah... I'm almost done adding MW items to the various vendors.

I'm keeping the percentages rather low... %25 for the basic items, down to %5 for MW Full Plate.

Well see what that's like, and if it's too much, we'll tone it down.

Also, I'm grouping MW items in the vendor type, no wooden shields in the blacksmith, no metal items in the woodworker, etc.

7. Malatar

Malatar Member

Actually Dhoom, I really rather enjoyed your MW buy scripts. It felt like I was asking him to custom make the item for me... Even nicer than just having all of the MW items in stock.

8. Aginor37

Aginor37 Member

Just got back, and will be playing with it some more. I have notced a few bugs in it still, and will update when I know more.

For now, I would recommend putting another copy in .\modules\ToEE\rules and see if that helps. At this point, I am assuming that since it deals with specific NPCs, it has to be within the module it is for, as opposed to global like root\data\rules is.

I will do a detailed write-up and tutorial once I figure out the rest of the little quirks in the process.

9. Mr. Underhill

Mr. Underhill The Keeper of the Arcane Toiletries

Maby we can have him ask you to perform a quest and then upon completion we can have him craft some of the rarer MW items, as a reword...maby he's looking for a specific item perhaps. There's really alot we can do here.

10. a54321

a54321 Member

weird?

(for olaf mainly)

tried for about 1/2 an hour putting the // in

it only worked however when i deleted the blank line from between the comments and the start of the list

eg

//List zero is reserved, and should not be used.
    {1}{Burne: buy_list_num,3 100,9385

that fixed it

hopeithelps

11. Dhoom

Dhoom BIG Troll Berserker

Yeah... I did too.

I'm thinking of doing it both ways... having every item set to a low (less than 20% chance of showing up) in his shop inventory, or you can have him "make you one" through his dialogue, but it'll cost you a bit more... say, 50% on top of what it normally costs.

Hmmmm...

12. Nomad_Wanderer

Nomad_Wanderer Established Member Veteran

Real Slick! I can see it now... You hit re-roll over and over when you create the character, and then you head into town, and re-converse with blacksmith..

First it's comeon 18, come on..

then it's

comeon BSword, comeon...

13. Aginor37

Aginor37 Member

Mother of Lolth, I am about to throw a brick through my monitor!!

I was so excited when I finally was able to make changes to what the blacksmith sells. And I can change them at will, hell I can make his merchant inventory stand up and beg. But for some reason that I am not even fathoming right now, I can't seem to get any of the other merchants to change what they are selling.

If anyone else has been playing with it, and has managed to get someone other than Brother Smyth (Hommlett blacksmith) to change their inventory, please let me know. Or even better, once you let me know email me and attach your invensource.mes file to it, so I can compare yours to mine.

And in conclusion, AAAAAAAAAA!!!!! <head explodes>

14. a54321

a54321 Member

after you

me next on the brick please...

changed smyth to sell but...

wouldnt work with scrolls
    ONLY seems to work with ONE of my savegames!!

start new game and stock back to normal?!?

is it storing this information somewhere?

(a la - .pyc files appearing in \scr)??

:confused:

15. olaf

olaf Member

Re: weird?

Hmm I had tried that, and it didnt work for me.

Where did you place the file and which merchant(s) did you successfully place items on? So far I have only tried Otis and Burne, but I havent been able to get them to show anything new at all. I will go back and try the Hommlet smith, and also placing a copy of this file in this tree \modules\ToEE\rules

Thanks all
    olaf

Our Host!