Temporary working protos for Drifter's CON fix

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by 0rion79, Jun 18, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. 0rion79

0rion79 Established Member

A.S.: the files are moved tho the following link, since it fixes some other things and gives an alternative versions of Tamir and Brother Smith stocks, the 2 custom traders made by Livonya. More, it improves monsters resistance replacing missing cold iron and adamantite entries with a silver ally. http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1954

Hi pals, here is a working protos.tab that you'll eventually need if you dowloaded Drifter's fix for monsters' CONstitution bonus. If you didn't, download if from here: http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1893.
    This time the game is NOT affected by the "quit to dekstop" effect and I tested it. :thumbsup:
    The zip files above contains:
    - the fixed protos.tab that goes in the rules folder (based on Allyx's latest relase)
    - Allyx's latest item_creation file that goes together with the protos but you don't need to download it again if you already got Allyx's last udpade
    - description.mes file that goes in the mes folder.

Since I don't mind to do all the work twice, I fixed the basic stuff only. This involves...
    - will o'the wisp and lanter archon, that now have proper feats, AC, attack bonus and.... the archon now shoots searing light as a 3rd level cleric, since it was impossible to emulate the ranged touch attack effect.
    - fiendish and celestial animals, that now have all proper spell resistance, attack bonus, saving throws, stats, damage reduction X/magic and 10/elements restored
    - hydra has his regeneration ability back
    - excalibur is now a real holy avenger (1-handed longsword, dispells magic)
    - all maces of striking are now light weapons as they should be (1d6)
    - javelin of lightning is a +1 weapon, accordingly with rules
    - added my double-weapons set, available only with console command.
    - and of course, the main change: the Hit Dices column contains only monster's Hit Dices with NO constitution bonus calculatd and column 25 is empty, so we'll avoid some nonsense like having Caltbert with 14 base HP only. When 2.0 is ready, I'll fill column 25 with medium scores for NPCs that may join the party and, if you like, for archmonsters (bosses and other unique eniemies).

About double weapons, the IDs are:
    Code:
    {4344}{Masterwork Dwarven Urgosh (main edge)}
    {4345}{Masterwork Dwarven Urgosh (light edge)}
    {4346}{Masterwork gnome hooked hammer (main edge)}
    {4347}{Masterwork gnome hooked hammer (light edge)}
    {4348}{Masterwork double sword (main edge)}
    {4349}{Masterwork double sword (light edge)}
    {4350}{Masterwork double flail (main edge)}
    {4351}{Masterwork double flail (light edge)}
    {4352}{Masterwork gyrspyke (main edge)}
    {4353}{Masterwork gyrspyke (light edge)}
    Dwarven Urgosh use the same dwarven axe proficiency, so that a dwarf is automatically proficient with it, all the other except the hooked hammer, that uses its own proficiency feat, use the bastard sword proficiency. I wished to use the spiked chain one, but it would give those weapons an increased reach. Using shuriken proficiency would make monks automatically proficient with those weapons instead.
    If you mind to use them, use the main head for the main weapon and the light head for the light weapon. Don't cheat using, for example, a bastard sword instead of the double-sword main head do deal a bit more damage. Instead you're allowed to use 2 light edges at the same time, because a double weapon is nothing more than 2 weapons joined into one.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2005
  2. 0rion79

I renewed the file: there was a small mistake with the double flail and, mainly, now all masterwork/magical padded and leather armors and masterwork/darkwood shields works as they should: no bonus nor malus to skills and no extra penality while using a light weapon with weapon finesse feat.
    Also, Scather & Fragrach now bypass magic damage reduction as they should and may be enchanted, even if adding too many empowerments druing the crafting process may alter their proprieties and may make the game to Quit to Desktop.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2005
  3. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I'm not sure how the rest of the community feel about this but I'd like to remove all the hit dice entries like "49d1+500" or whatever hit dice and replace them with the values from the Monsters Manual, but changing how the game calculates these harder monsters hit points could radically change the dynamics of the game. Potentially balor could be an easier fight than the vrock (with the right hit dice rolls).

4. 0rion79

Allyx, they already are as you ask, except Zuggy.
    And anyway, don't worry. The chances that a Balor rolls 1 all the times are extremely low, almost impossible, and even if, now his high CON bonus applied correctly grants him and all monsters a mimimum of HPs that will always make them hard enough. Quickly thinking to it, a Balor has CON 31, so +10 HPs x level and, being a 20 HDs monster, he can't go dow more than 220 HPs, that is still an huge result.
    Actually, I didn't touch Zuggy and the old woman because it makes the game to QTD, probably because those HDs are somehow reduced with the destruction of the Orb of Golden Death. But, even if now Zuggy's HPs are increased, I'm really happy that she has that big HPs surplus: now it is a real challengening fight, worthy of a final boss. Before, the fight that involved Hedrak was absolutely the coolest ever.
    If you want, and I would like to listen everybody's opinion, I may calculate the medium HPs score for bosses: Hedrak, Terjon, the ToEE chief clerics & so on, so that they will never be too weak nor too strong. For example a 10th level cleric will have base (8+(1+8)/2*9) = 48 HPs and CON bonus is automatically calculated from the game but, in this way, the game will loose the fun of randomness and surprice!

5. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I really love Drifter's idea of ummmm HP by range, i forget how he explained it but how i would do it is, say, instead of 1d8, do 1d4+4 etc, so you still have the randomness but never have to deal with say a balor who rolls all 8s OR all 1s (+ CON of course!), both of which would be silly. Well actually that method would increase the probability of all 8's but you see what i mean! keeps the fights tough but maintains randomability. Would love the players HD to be like that, might see if i can do my own hack since Drifter posted his changes.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2005
  6. 0rion79

It is an idea, but I don't agree too much. Don't forget that D&D 3.5 is based on a mathematical system that includes very low rolls with dices.
    If you do what you say, Balor and other monsters will no longer have their original medium scores but will have a new one that is between the old medium score and the top. So a Balor's middle score for HP would be no more 290 HPs but 330 and trust me that, when you're gonna to shoot it down with fireballs (35 damages almost certainly reduced by half because of sucesfull saving throw, or to 0 because he still has a good spell resistance) or melee weapons that may not overcome his damage reduction, you'll see them as a nightmare. Really, if you're actually playing the game with Drifter's hack and my protos, give it a try and you'll see that it is much more balanced than before and that monsters will be challengenging as they were or more than before, never weaker.
    Instead, I like very much the idea that somebody launched times ago, and it is to have a small executable file that will hack the temple.dll, removing randomness from HPs rolling for PCs and Monsters, so that it will be possibile to use it to set different difficulty levels for the game: PCs' HP maxed out = easy; Monsterss HPs maxed out = hard. (both for people that really are prefectionists) It is the same software that Drifter gave me when I asked him to help me to slove the CON matter. It is almost ready: Drifter, when you'll relalse it?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2005
  7. Morpheus

Morpheus Mindflayer Veteran

8. 0rion79

:paper: Ops... I completely missed it, I wonder what I were looking for in the meantime :)

9. MB

MB Member

Orion,

What is the difference between your working protos for Drifter's Con fix and the fix that he did several days ago?

MB

:questionm

10. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

<Ted grabs ball, runs like heck>

Drifter's fix allows the constitution bonus to be properly calculated. However, certain of the mosnters etc in the game are set up in the protos.tab to work with it improperly calculated, such that the fix will give them bizarre HPs. Orion is kindly editing the protos to correct it (and it was his efforts that uncovered the bug in the first place).

11. wozzeck

wozzeck Member

Anyone else have one of the second-level moathouse corpses (the ones being eaten by zombies) replaced with what appears to be a door after insalling this?

12. 0rion79

Yes, you're right: there is one single door in the 1st underground level of the moathouse, just after beating the ogre, instead than a dead corpse. I'm sure that I didn't touch it, because I only concentrated on monsters and equipment. Allyx, is it possible that it was you? Anyway, there is probably an ID conflict: a dead corpse has the same door ID, or viceversa, but since doors are used first in the protos, there is a door instead than a corpse. let me check if I find something....

Nothing. It is only an hypothesys, but it looks like a map problem: I don't know how but, since the map is supposed to spawn items and monsters accordingly with IDs, or something changed the ID used to spawn the dead body or somebody of us changed the dead body ID. I suppose that the missing dead body is the one marked by ID 2112, related to the same raw, since it looks rotten. Or 2125, but it is more probably the body used for canones Ydey in the neutral-good beginning.
    Still, there are some weird things: raw 39 has no name, as well 47, 52,53,56, 63, 69, 70, 71, 76, 93, 96, from 99 to 150 except 105, even if they are only doors. Raws 110,111 and 150 share the same 110 ID. I wonder if this may cause any conflict.
    I know nothing about maps, but if somebody could point out what ID is connected with that map, it would be very easy to fix the problem, both from the map if it is a wrong ID problem (both of the map or of the protos), or by he protos if it is a IDs conflict (that still I can't see).
    Do you remember any other rotten human dead body on the ground?
    Anyway, it is not something that influences gameplay, even if it must be fixed.

This points out another interesting question: shall we enrich maps with other items? For example, it would be like to put some more dead body at the end of the ghouls' area of the moathouse or to add some decorative element here and there...

Last edited: Jun 24, 2005
  13. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I plead NOT guilty, to the charges brought against me.

14. 0rion79

Don't worry, I'm not pointing the finger against you: it was just a question to think about all possibilities. Of course it is hard that you had a reason to go modifying those parameters. You were interested in weapons, like me. But still, I didn't touch them but passing the protos from one person to another may cause those kind of errors. So, may somebody be so kind to check what's the ID used by that map, so that I can fix the problem?

15. wozzeck

wozzeck Member

The other dead body in the moathouse dungeon is as it should be.

However, I've just walked into Nulb for the first time on a new game, to discover Preston Weltz (Or possibly just a generic Nulb inhabitant that spawned near where he usually is.) is also a door. A different door than the one moathouse corpse had become, but a door nonetheless.

Game CTD'd shortly after he came on screen.

Our Host!