CTD from crafting Chaotic - console workaround?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by headhunter, Jun 3, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. headhunter

headhunter Member

When I try to add chaotic (and of course +1) to a weapon with my cleric, I crash to the desktop. Is there a way to use the console instead to add this to the weapon? Or a fix?

Also, I had noticed that when I add certain "bursts" it instead added the regular non-critical versions of elemental damage. Then there was another burst that instead not only added the regular damage per-hit, but also erroneously added negative energy damage. :angry: I'm not sure if one single one of the bursts worked the way they were intended.

I'm using the patch 2, as well as the Co8 mod and Livonya's. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Morpheus

Morpheus Mindflayer Veteran

The weapon crafting system is probably one of the buggiest parts of the game engine.

Hey Drifter, old mate, wanna give it a shot? ;)

3. headhunter

headhunter Member

I should add that if there's a way to create the item off-line so to speak, and then go and add the "fixed" weapon to your inv via "give xxxx," that would be perfectly fine (outstanding, even) as well.

4. Drifter

Drifter Established Member

Frankly speaking, such 'feature' shouldn't be in the game (and the rules) anyway, in my opinion. -_-

5. headhunter

headhunter Member

Eh. Right now, crafting is one of the few things (aside from the excellent mods coming forth from this site) that still keeps me interested in this game, since I had never really explored the options available with it previously.

But just out of curiousity, why should crafting not be part of the ruleset? Without it, everyone would be running around with plain jane equipment, regardless. Damage reduction, use magic device, etc etc would have to be majorly re-balanced.

And it's not like chaotic (or unholy) weapon is majorly overpowered in this scenario. If that's an issue, consider the holy weapons out there first...

Last edited: Jun 4, 2005
  6. 0rion79

0rion79 Established Member

I like it, but sometimes I wonder if the cost in gold and XPs for items and gear is fair.
    More, I was never able to give a sense to the loss of XP. Why a spellcaster should loose them while creating magic items? Is he filling them with part of his life energy?
    If so, I can't image any spellcrafter/shopkeeper that lives selling his stuff. Soon or later he would eventually run out of XPs and would be forced to go and kill some monster to "recharge"........ hihihihihi! :D

7. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I think thats the idea.

Magic weapons should be rare, its that simple. If you could crank out one a day, or a week, or a month even, with no penalty, the world would be full of them and no-one would use anything else. And thus there'd be nothing special about them. The most valuable weapons would be rare, non-magical archaic ones. "It's a sword +0, never seen one of them before eh?"

I can see Drifter's point: i like personally crafting weapons to my own design, but somehow it doesn't quite feel D&D - seems something u should be doing at lvl 17, not 7.

8. Nifft

Nifft Member

I think the XP and GP cost is quite a hefty penalty.

Having the ability to keep my trusty sword with me as I grow is nice.

Weapons growing in power organically are a staple of fantasy.

-- N

9. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

one way to nicly unbalance the game especially at the beginning is to make your weapon in the protos and use the console to bring it in. that way your rogue can bring in that old famly heirloom the ol' raiper of chain lightening and keep it throughout the game. that way you don't need a crafter and can start the game with outragously strong weapons for free. ;)

Our Host!