Fix Suggestion: How to make rogues use ioun stones

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by taltamir, May 3, 2005.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

Ok, so the problem with ioun stones is that you need somewhere to equip them, right?

And this place was deemed to be the theifs tools box. Well, there is also the bardic instrument. Unless you multiclass into a bard/rogue you will only need ONE of the two. By making the bardic instrument and the theif tools take the same slot (the current bardic instrument slot, change the picture to a mix of the two tools) and let the current tools slot be for ioun stones only.

2. Marceror

Marceror Established Member

Not being a modder, I'm not sure how feasible this is, but for what it's worth, I like the idea. The thief's tools slot is also the belt slot, so it makes using Ioun stones undesirable for many characters.

3. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Ioun Stones...

...really should be made to equip in the headgear slot. They are meant to orbit one's head like so many shiny electrons 'round an atomic nucleus. I don't believe it would be possible to mod the graphic, but don't see why they can't equip where your helmet ought to go. They also should stack, as more than one could be employed at a given time. There ought to be a limit though, as the stone could be attacked in PnP, but I don't believe with this system that doing so would be possible. 3 is a good max for this IMHO, but others may disagree. There are 14 different types, some of which may have limited or no effect in this game:

Pale Blue Rhomboid - Adds 1 Str, 18 max
    Scarlet & Blue Sphere - Adds 1 Int, 18 max
    Incandescent Blue Sphere - Adds 1 Wis, 18 max
    Deep Red Sphere - Adds 1 Dex, 18 max
    Pink Rhomboid - Adds 1 Con, 18 max
    Pink & Green Sphere - Adds 1 Cha, 18 max
    Pale Green Prism - Adds 1 level of experience
    Clear Spindle - sustains person w/out food & water
    Iridescent Spindle - sustains person w/out air
    Pearly White Spindle - Regenerates 1 HP per turn
    (10 rounds, old school =10 minutes game time)
    Pale Lavender Ellipsoid - Absorbs spells (10-40 levels worth, up to 4th level)
    Lavender & Green Ellipsoid - Absorbs spells (20-80 levels, up to 8th level)
    Vibrant Purple Prism - Stores spells (2-12 levels worth)
    Dusty Rose - +1 Protection
    Dull Gray (any shape) - adds 10 points to psionic strength total, 50 max

The food & water stone, psionic stone and regeneration stones seem quite useless. As for the others...have fun!

4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Ok I just reread the question and realised i changed OS'es for nothing (I have the net and the game on different OS'es). I misread it the first time <sigh>

BUT if you want to implement Lord Spike's idea, here's how:

The ioun stones of various colours are found in the protos.tab file at 12594-12600, and 12662 (I couldn't find others, apparently these are all. There aren't many pix for them so it seems right).

Wander over to column 61. U will note they are all marked OIF_WEAR_LOCKPICKS, which means u wear them at the same spot you wear lockpicks (ie on the belt). To change this to a headband as Lord Spike suggests change it to OIF_WEAR_HELMET, or even to have them as a necklace put OIF_WEAR_NECKLACE. Remember you have to change them all!

Gimme a few minutes and i will have a look at the bard thing. Though I gotta ask, what if u want your bard to use his theiving abilities? Thats half the point of a bard... (well, perhaps a third).

If a bard hums to himself while he works on a lock, does it inspire him?

5. Shiningted

Ok, back.

The bardic equipment thing is OIF_WEAR_BARDIC_ITEM. So to put thieves tools in there, you have to change the various thieves tools entries. They can be found at 12012 (normal) & 12013 (masterwork). Go over to column 61 again and change OIF_WEAR_LOCKPICKS to OIF_WEAR_BARDIC_ITEM.

If you change both this AND put the stones as headbands, you can have a thief who wears a belt of giant's strength - always handy when going the backstab <THWACK!!!>

Now... to change the inventory picture, u wanna go to Program Files\Atari\Temple of Elemental Evil\data\art\interface\CHAR_UI\CHAR_PORTRAIT_UI and get Equipped_Items.tga. Open this in a picture editor like Photoshop, and hack away!

These changes SHOULD work. In theory. Of course, in theory communism works...

Don't know how to stack the little buggers, but since u can stack arrows on the inventory thing, I don't see why it can't be done by someone who knows what they are doing.

O and my bad bout the bard, they can't pick locks at all <sigh>.

Last edited: May 4, 2005
  6. Marceror

Marceror Established Member

They can pick locks... but they have to buy cross class ranks in the skill (so they will progress at half the rate of a thief).

As far as inspiring themselves to pick locks... nope. They can only inspire others.

7. Shiningted

O of course... well, i seriously am half asleep...

The 'inspiring themselves' thing was a jest ;-) Or was it a jape?

8. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

I am reminded of...

...Magnum, P.I., telling himself to...

"...work the lock, work the lock..." as danger (or often enough, Zeus & Apollo) came at him in a rush.

9. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Hmmm my rogue has dodgy facial hair too... How can I roleplay him now with the image of Tom Selleck lurking in my mind every time I look at him? :shock:

10. nitewolf

nitewolf Packleader

Just to let everyone know...I have never needed the thieve's tools in there slot. I have picked locks, disarmed traps, etc., with my thief while she was wearing a belt of giant strength...

11. taltamir

well, I understand how to do it... I am wondering about making it part of the "official" co8 modification.
    Keep in mind that all the Ioun stones are part of the Co8 modifications to begin with, aswell as the ability to wear belts. So basically the co8 crew added belts and ioun stones to the things that take up the theif tools slot.

I think it would be better to use one slot for theif tools and bardic instrument, and another slot for belts and ioun stones.. but actually its a BETTER idea to make the ioun stones headgear.

Furthermore, is it possible to make a multislotted item? then an Ioun stone could be set to be head gear, amulet gear, bardic instrument gear, and theif tools gear. That way you could have more then one, and you could also choose where it goes for the various characters. I know that rings can go in one of two slots, so I am guessing it IS possible.

Lord spike, its quite possible to do all of the things i suggested (aside from maybe the multislotted), and wouldn't be too hard, if you play the UNMODDED game you will notice that the grapgic is different (the ioun slot is actually a thief tools slot), there are no ioun stones, and belts are unequipable, ie, you have bardic instruments and theif tools, and thats it.

All in all, my suggestion here is to make a BETTER solution and to make it a standard part of the co8 patch!

12. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

Thats what I did when I first started playing, I didn't know about right clicking and I still oprned locks, with my fighter (who was trained in O/L and D/D)

13. Shiningted

I could be wrong, but i get the impression the tools give u a bonus to do these things... that might prove important now Liv has added traps etc.

Of course a bard / rogue could swap their gear back and forth as necessary.

Taltamir, if you know how to do this stuff, then do it, playtest it and post the protos.tab and see if people like it. There's no point waiting for "Co8" to do it - this is a community. We are Co8. Frankly i for one think your point is well made and it would be an improvement if the stones went in the helmet slot where they belong and the tools / dulcimers were in the same slot.

14. taltamir

well... good idea.
    I have finals comming up so I can't do ANYTHING for 10 or so days. but afterwords I will try and learn how to edit Toee and do it.

As you said, we are co8. I was just wondering if everyone else agrees with me or do i get objections.

(and I was hoping to get someone else to do it for me... but no luck there I guess XP)

15. Shiningted

Well, the changes are certainly within the ethos of Co8 (as I understand it), not arbitrary changes but bug-fixes and / or making things work in accord with the 3.5 rules. The rules say ioun stones are 'headwear', so thats what they should be.

PEOPLE!! This change is coming - if you object, speak now, or forever hold your peace!!

I don't know much about scripting but I am intrigued by the 'stacking' issue, i will look into it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!