AI update

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Livonya, Feb 28, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Livonya

Livonya Established Member

I have made a lot of progress with the AI.

I have pretty much figured out how the AI code works, and what can and can not be done.

I have completly finished two new AI routines. I have tested them a lot and they seem to work very, very well.

No longer will the AI cast beneficial spells on enemy and damage spells on allies... also the AI will cast different spells if threatened. So they will protect themselves at all cost.

For my first cleric AI... (level 6 cleric)

Casts Silence if s/he can do it without hitting any allies
    Casts Prayer and Shield of Faith
    Casts Bestow Curse and Inflict Moderate Wounds if threatened
    Casts Cure Moderate Wounds and Cure Light Wounds on injured allies
    Casts Seering Light
    Casts Spiritual Weapon

For my first wizard AI... (level 5 wizard)

Takes 5 foot steps if possible (makes him a bit harder)
    Casts Fireball if s/he can do it without hitting any allies
    Casts Shield and Mirror Image
    Casts Hold Person if threatened
    Casts Magic Missile (I fixed this so it shoots correct # of missiles, though there is only 1 missle animation, I am trying to get the animation fixed as well, but so far I have failed on every attempt)
    Casts Melf's Acid Arrow
    Casts Daze if threatened (this is a last ditch effort)

I will spend the next two days making new AI routines for all spell casters.

I believe that when I am done spell casters will now be VERY deadly. If you don't take them out immediately they will cause severe problems for your party.

I should have all the AI changes done by the end of the week.

I will post something soon.

- Livonya

2. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

It seems so weird that Troika would use different animations for enemy spells versus PC spells. But, again, I'm not a programmer so I can only assume there was a reason for doing it that way.

The routines sound good, though.

3. Livonya

They don't use different animations, but the problem is that many spells require choices from the radial menu or target choices.

When an enemy uses these spells they can't make these choices. So you have to manually script them.

So for instance if I want Magic Missile to fire 3 missles I have to go into the script for Magic Missile and change the script so that if the caster of the spell is an enemy mage the spell will fire 3 missles... however, I can't figure out how to make it fire 3 missles, so instead when the 1 missle hits I have it do damage 3 times. That is a crude work around.

Another example. I want my cleric to cast Bestow Curse. There are tons of choices with this spell. They are made from the radial menu when you cast it. So when the NPC casts it I have to edit the script so that those choices will be there.

Livonya

PS: I now have great new AI scripts for 4th level Clerics, 5th level Clerics, 5th level Ogre Shaman, 3rd level Ogre Shaman, 5th level Wizards, and 6th level Clerics...

It is going really quickly now. I am especially proud of the Ogre Shaman AI. The Ogre Shaman will be harsh to deal with.

Every Cleric AI script had a broken control word in the script. So every Cleric AI was basically broken. Fixing that makes a HUGE difference. Such a little thing makes a big difference.

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

When this is done its going to send a shockwave through (what's left of the ) ToEE forum community at Atari. They're pretty downtrodden there with the demise of Troika, no new games planned, et al. I can't wait to drop what is essentially a game-changing engine overhaul on them - plus new content. Fantastic!

5. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

With any luck it'll spark up renewed interest in the game at atari, then hopefully they'll do a wicked cool expansion pack.

On a different note is it possible to re-use area's you've already cleared, I have a party at level 12, I've killed every monster in the game, with the exceptions of St Cuthbert and Iuz, but instead of just going to the locked floor and kicking Zugtomoys butt with the help of orb of golden death AGAIN! Why not repopulate the game with tougher monsters? I'd like to get my characters to level 20, but there aren't enough thogh chalenges left to get there quickly, unless I keep resting somewhere, but that can get very tedious very quickly.

How about putting St Cuthbert, and/or Iuz into the arena of heroes depending on the parties alignment?

6. Livonya

Just another quick update... I am too excited to sleep!

Things are going VERY well.

I have figured out how to make enemy NPCs cast defensive spells BEFORE the combats begin. So for instance an enemy mage will always have Magic Armor running...

Any spell that lasts for hours x level, or 10 minutes x level is fair game in my opinion. There are a number of these spells and the enemy NPCs will now use them.

So these long lasting spells will be up and running. The casters won't waste their time on defensive spells since they will already have them in place... thus more time for offensive spells.

This is much more realistic. I know my characters travel with some spells active, and now so will the enemy NPC casters.

Also, I ended up writing a new AI spell for each different cleric in the game. I am 90% done, just one last AI to go.

I have come up with some great combos... using feats and spells to make the most deadly encounters. It is really easy now that I know how all the scripting words work.

My main goal is to have them play by the rules, so I am not buffing them but giving them good spells, replacing useless feats with useful feats, etc, etc...

I now have casters using a lot of different spells, and I think you will find that each caster is somewhat unique now.

I also re-worked the Flanker AI script. So the Flanker will first attack a threatening enemy before trying to flank. Sometimes they will attack and then take a partial move to flank. It is a lot better. No more running back and forth across the screen causing a dozen AOO. If a Flanker doesn't have a threatening enemy then they will try to flank.... they want to flank but not at the cost of a dozen AOO.

I also found several enemy Clerics that didn't have any spells or didn't have an AI assigned to them. So now these enemy Clerics will cast spells. Actually, I identified about 20 enemy NPCs with spell casting abilities that could not actually cast spells since they didn't have AI or spells assigned.

And I am writing a few new melee AI routines. Just to add more variety.

I should have working beta version done by weeks end. Then you folks can try it out and let me know what needs tweaking.

The game may be too hard now, I am not sure. I think it will be a lot better.

I am going to sleep now.

- Livonya

7. Morpheus

Morpheus Mindflayer Veteran

Very, very cool.

Can't wait to try this out! ;)

8. ordinaryjones

ordinaryjones Established Member

It does sound like it will make the game much harder, and more fun . I am really looking forward to using this mod, I'll finally have a reason to use ready: counterspell.

9. Livonya

Update

I am at work right now, so I figured I should post an update on where I am at with my AI tweak.

I have had a lot of great progress.

I have completed 20+ new AI scripts.

I now have NPCs using more feats and skills. For instance Power Attack, Combat Expertice, Flank, Charge, Coup De Grace, Rage are all things that NPCs will try to do if possible. Of course low level intelligence creatures are using more simple AI scripts.

I have fixed several spells so that when an enemy NPC chooses an invalid target a new valid target will be selected. So for instance the AI routine tells the Enemy Cleric to cast Hold Person on a Druid's attack dog.... when this happens the spell will pick a new valid target (if possible). It was way to easy to trick the AI into doing dumb things, so this changes that in many ways. The AI can still do dumb things, but in most cases the spells will re-target so you won't actually realize that the AI has done something silly like casting Hold Person on an animal. (of course this will not affect stupid things that the players do... if you tell your PC to cast spells on invalid targets then that is exactly what they will do).

I have fixed it so enemy Clerics/Mages have defensive spells running. This is up and working. It is awesome. Now high level Clerics/Mages will be fully buffed. It looks cool too. You will see a lot more spell effects as you go about the world. And you will ocasionally see NPCs cast spells as you pass by...

I also fixed many enemy monsters/NPCs that had improper feats assigned to them... there were a lot of monsters/NPCs that simply were not coded correctly. Clerics/Mages with no spells, Barbarians that wouldn't rage, Fighters with no feats or with spell caster feats, etc, etc...

All in all I have made a lot of changes.

Soon I will start to repair monsters that have special abilites that don't seem to happen.

For instance the Fire Salamanders have the ability to cast Fireballs but I have rarely if ever seen this happen. So I am fixing that so they will use it whenever possible.

If you can think of creatures that are not using their abilities to their fullest then please post them so that I can look into it.

I am pretty close to being "done." I need to fix about 10 more AI routines, and do some other small fixes. But I am getting close to reaching my current goals. At that point I will post all the changes.

- Livonya

10. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I've recently (on 2 false starts - I'm now waiting for your mod to start anew) battled the giant spiders in the Deklo Grove and in the Moathouse Tower, twice. In each battle the spiders have never cast web. That's 4 battles altogether and 6 spiders. Could be coincidence I suppose, but I found it strange. I have Atari 2 and Co8 3.0.4/moebius installed.

11. Livonya

I did some testing, and you are correct the spiders no longer use web. I don't know why.

As far as I can tell the spiders never had a special AI script. They would simply use their spell ability automatically. That is no longer happening. In fact the only creatures that are using their special abilities are the giant frogs.

This is either being caused by the 2nd patch, or something to do with moebius2778's temple fix.

Does anyone have an older version installed where the spider's cast web?

- Livonya

12. Livonya

Well, I am still not sure what broke these creatures.

But I have repaired the following monsters:

Giant Spider
    Ice Lizard
    Eye of The Deep
    Groaning Spirit
    Salamander

These monsters all use their innate special abilites now.

I also fixed several monsters so they use their innate special abilities more effectively...

Getting closer to completion...

- Livonya

13. Bisrha

Bisrha Member

I have Patch 2 and CO8 3.04, no temple.dll fix... and my spiders are capable of casting web. So it would seem that it is a problem with the temple fix

14. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

I have Atari 2, Co8 3.04 and the temple.dll and the spiders in my game still use web. They just don't use it all the time like they used to.

15. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Behir's - I'm sure i've seen them in this game, in the earth node while resting, they should have an electricity breath weapon.

Bodak's - in the fire node should have a death gaze 30ft range fortitude dc 15 or die and raise as a bodak 1 day later!

carrion crawler - should have a paralysis attack on a hit, dc 13 lasts 2d6 minutes.

Quasits - can cast detect good, detect magic and invisabilty at will and fear 30ft radius 1/day, poison attacks fortitude dc 13 1d4 temp dex, 2d4 temp dex secondary, polymorph into a bat, wolf, toad, or monsterous centipede.

Vrock's - cast mass charm, teleport, mirror image and detect magic at will. 1/hour stunning screech: fort dc 17, or be stunned for 1 round, dance of ruin, if 5 or more vrocks join hands and dance for 3 consecutive rounds a wave of crackling energy flashes out to 100 ft all non demons take 2d20 points of damage reflex half dc15.

Hezrou's - cast blink, chaos hammer, detect good, dispel good, magic circle against good, produce flame and teleport at will. Stench: all creatures within 10ft of a hezrou must pass a fort dc 17 or be rendered helpless with nausea for as long as they're in the area and 1d4 rounds afterwards, creatures that pass the save take -2 penalty on attack rolls but can't be affected by it again delay poison or neutralise poison removes this effect from 1 creature.

Glabrezu's - cast burning hands, chaos hammer, charm person, confusion, death knell, dispel magic, enlarge, mirror image, shatter and unholy blight at will, has detect magic and true seeing on continuously.

Balor's - cast detect good, detect law, fear, greater dispelling, read magic sugestion, and teleport at will. Fear: A creature hit by a Balors slam attack must pass a will save dc 19 or run away in fear for 1d6 rounds. Entangle: A Balors whip entangles foes like a net, max range 40 ft range 10 ft range increment and has 20 hp. continuous detect magic and see invisability. when killed abalor explodes in a blinding flash, that deals 50 points of damage to everything within 100ft reflex half dc20.

Efreti - casts produce flame, detect magic, enlarge, gaseous form, invisability, at will, wish 1/day (up to 3, to non genies only) heat deals 1d6 points of additional fire damage per round

Ghoul - paralysis create spawn?

Ghast - stench, paralysis, create spawn?

Lacedon - are supposed to be aquatic ghouls?

Hill giant - rock throwing +8/+3 ranged 2d6+7 damage.

Gorgon - petrify breath weapon 60 ft cone reflex dc 17.trample small creatures 1d8+7 damage ref half dc 23.

sea hag - evil eye 3/day gaze at 1 creature within 30 ft target must pass fort save dc 11 failure means it has 25% chance of dying instantly or be catatonic for 3 days, remove curse or dispel evil removes this effect.

Harpy - captivating song all non-harpies within 300ftspread must pass will save dc 15 or be captivated, captivated creatures walk directly towards the harpy with out trying to defend, this is a mind affecting sonic charm, bards can use countersong to get new saves vs will.

Hydra - it's his points should be divided between its heads deal x damage a head falls off untill all heads are severed, (you could make this a pyro cryo learnean hydra, then it'd have a fire breath weapon, a frost breath weapon, and regrows 2 heads for each one severed 1d4 rounds later).

Minotaurs - are never caught flatfooted.

shadow - Incorporeal (need a magic or ghost touch weapon to hit), incorporeal touch 1d6 temp strength damage. Create spawn.

shambling mound - electricity immunity, fire resistance 30.

I think thats the lot, not sure about leucrotta, I thought they had some other abilities too.

Our Host!