can't get mother shreng to join

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Gubbie, Nov 11, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gubbie

Gubbie Member

my lvl is low enough, but when I let her know she can join me I'm told I have too many people in my party.

I've made it so I can have 3 pc and 5 npc. At the moment I've only got Elmo and Otis in the party. I've had no problems having other npc in the party, in fact I've just come back from rescuing prisoners from the temple getting the orcs and Morgan out. When I entered Nulb Morgan and Otis, I told the orcs I needed them to leave again, then I went to get Otis back so I could get Mother Shreng and Muffles in the party. Otis suggest we go get them, but they won't join just telling me my party is too large.

Any idea why this is so?

I'm playing version 8.0.0

2. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

This can be 'fixed', but actually I'm not sure it should be.

Mother Screng is supposed to be an undercover agent, thus she might not want other NPCs on board.

But, what the heck. Here you go - attached files that allows you to recruit her. Put the .py file in data\scr, and the dlg files in data\dlg.

Attached Files:

3. Gubbie

Gubbie Member

thanks, that worked :)

It might make sense with many npc's that they don't want to work with them, but elmo? If I remember correctly then he's working with them, just as otis is.

4. Jo

Jo Member

What exactly does it take to actually get her in the party? Here are some of the things I've read:

1. Party level under six.
    2. Must have Otis in the party.

Does it matter if it's the first time Otis is in the party, or should it be the second time, after reading Romag's diary?

Does a particular character in the party have to be NG? My game is set at NG, but my characters are LG, CG, TN, and TN.

Can NPC's other than Otis be in the party when inviting her?

So far, I haven't been able to trigger anything in dialogue, but I built a group without a cleric because I was hoping to lean on NPC's for that function. Ronald works well enough, but I'd like to pick up Screng in the party if I can.

5. mrmarginal

mrmarginal Member

1. Here is a link regarding party level and alignment requirements, http://www.co8.org/forum/showpost.php?p=72834&postcount=13.
    Game alignment setting should be the only thing that matters; your individual PC alignments should not affect the recruitment requirements (although I do not know if TN PCs will have issues). I have had success recruiting Mother Screng with a Neutral Good party, but I have not attempted with either CG or LG. So, I can not verify if that will make a difference.

2. Otis must join your party for the second time. You will not receive the Mother Screng dialogue option the first time that you recruit him.
    Obtaining Otis for the second time was the hardest part of the recruitment process. I could only get the dialogue option if I had no contact with anything or anyone from the factions before I recruited him, or while he was in my party. So, if I had ever picked up a temple robe or came in contact with one of the temple npcs before I recruited Otis or while he was in my party, then I would not be able to recruit him for a second time.

My suggestions for recruiting Mother Screng would be:

1. Save a lot; just before you talk to Otis for the first time, once he has joined for the first time, before you go to the temple, returning to Nulb after visiting the temple, etc.

2. Keep your PC levels as low as possible. I level squatted my PCs for one additional level before leveling them.

3. NPCs can inflate your party's effective level. This can make recruiting Mother Screng difficult. Animal companions can help keep your effective level lower.

How I recruited Screng -
    NG Party, 5 PCs, effective level four (my PCs had enough experience to be level 5, but I had not leveled them up beyond 4)

1. As soon as you get access to Nulb, speak with Otis; learn about the temple and recruit him.
    2. Travel to the temple, and proceed down into the earth temple. Do not kill anything or pick up any robes.
    3. Immediately leave the temple, and return to Nulb.
    4. Otis should leave your party.
    5. Return to the temple, pick up the earth robes, and speak with Romag.
    6. Leave the temple and return to Otis. You should now have the dialogue option to recruit him a second time, and he will suggest you recruit Mother Screng as well.

Hope that helps.

****NOTE****
    In this particular game I recruited all available Nulb NPCs, and the frequencies of CTDs increased significantly when trying to access areas in Nulb. By the time I reached part 2, Nulb was inaccessible.

Our Host!