Game crashing after loading screen

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Geordy, Apr 8, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. Geordy

Geordy Member

Greetings, fellow followers of fine roleplay!Im turning to you in my darkest hour of frustraton and helplessness. My first and fresh installation of ToEE/Co8 refuses to run. It brings me to the loading screen and bar and after "initialising sector data" it simply returns to the desktop, no processes left running.

Ok, so here is what is here: Win7 64-bit, 1920x1080 native resolution on monitor, 120 Hz. And here is what I did:
    1. Obviously, I downloaded ToEE from GoG and Co8 afterwards.
    2. Installed one after the other into a new folder completely different from the default programs folder.
    3. I ran the Front-X program and after activating the mod let it do its thing until it notified me with a friendly ping that it has done its work.
    4. I then tried to make ToEE run through the frontend with every combination of resolution, windowed or not, intro on or off.
    5. I went into nvidia control panel and switched scaling into "No scaling" for "GPU" as well as "Display", with overwriting default program behaviour on and off.
    6. I gave every single .exe in the temple folder admin rights. Heck, I even went into the whole folder's security and gave the "User" user the "Full Control" rights, the highest in the hierarchy.
    7. Of course I set all the .exe files to xp compatibility, disable visual styles and disable scaling, too.
    8. I went to GoG for a change and found out that they suggest installing a 2010 runtime DirectX which I then did.
    9. I even tried lowering UAC to lowest level once, but because it shows me the intro logos I think thats not it.

Im running out of options here, guys. Do you have any other idea what it might be? Oh, sometimes the CTD produces a Windows error message which gives me the option to search online for a solution or just close the program. When I expand this dialog it tells me that the problem is an Appcrash in temple.dll.
    Does this help?

2. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

The only thing I can think of is disabling the intro movies. Have you tried that? And welcome to the forum!

3. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Agreed, the only time I've had a shut down like yours was when it tried to run the opening movie and couldn't.

In the front end disable intro movie, like suggested by Daryk, and let us know what happened.

4. Geordy

Geordy Member

I already tried that see bullet point number 4. (Now Im glad I made a list, hehe). Thanks for the quick answer though and for the welcome. :yes:

I believe it might be the intro movie (I have yet to see) because this is the time and place it would come up, right?

Edit: I just retried with disable intro again - what can I say, this time it worked! I saw the menu for the first time. Beautiful. ;P But when I chose quit game (i was just checking it out) it ended with the Windows error message again. But I am willing to overlook that if I will be able to play.

Ill keep you posted.

5. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Sorry, I missed your note in bullet four there. How exactly did you set the resolution for the game to your native 1920x1080? I'm not sure that's supported.

6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Yes, the highest known supported resolution is 1680 x 1050. Larger resolutions may work temporarily, but you may experience problems down the road.

The error-on-exit thing is 'normal' and you can safely ignore it.

7. Geordy

Geordy Member

Eerm, I chose a resolution in the frontend application. Together with the "No scaling" option in the NVidia driver the game runs in said resolution with black borders to the side.

BTW I believe I had the no scaling option wrong before which might have caused all my problems so far. Because in addition to the option to scale or not scale there is a drop-down menu where you choose between Display(default) and GPU. You need to choose GPU in order for no scaling to work properly.

8. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Established Member Supporter

About resolution:
    http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5629

As you mentioned that you recently installed an older DirectX-version: Have you run DXDIAG to check if there are any problems or conflicts mentioned?

And the obvious - you are running the game only and nothing else in the background at all?

9. Geordy

Geordy Member

The 32-bit and 64-bit dxdiag versions report everything is fine. They also report that directx11 is currently running. So whatever it was that this directx 2010 redist. thing (suggested by GOG) did it seems to only have added to the DirectX 11 functions. Huh.

I also allocated some virtual memory for the first time after a long while. Before I completely relied on the physical 8Gb of RAM. Could be another factor why it is working now.

Actually the problem mentioned in the title is solved so we can move on. As the intro refuses to run in any case I even reverted to scaling again and the game still runs. (well the main menu does at least :) ) There are new problems though which I mentioned in a new thread.

10. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I have had a lot fewer probs, almost none on my Win7 64 bit machine by NOT having any files set to XP compatibility, installing the game c: Games, and of course setting to Admin.

I also have the same native resolution on my monitor and am running an nVidia GTX 480.

Oh, I enabled intro movies also.

Our Host!