Creating a Spell Spreadsheet

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Rudy, Feb 17, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

So, I was considering making a spreadsheet with the spells in the game, mainly for wizard spell selection considerations, but for other reasons too. It would include locations of scrolls and such. I'm aware that this information is contained in the walkthrough thread, but it would be useful for me (and thus I suppose it would be useful to others) to have it in a sortable spreadsheet format.

My questions are two: one, has anyone already done this? Two, what would be the proper format for sharing such a thing on the format if I were to do it?

2. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

So, I went ahead and did it. That is, I have an excel file of 290 player-available spells, which lists the spell level (if any) for each of the six possible caster lists (cleric, druid, sorcerer/wizard, bard, paladin, ranger), as well as which shops stock them, and where scrolls of the arcane ones can be found in game (taken from the excellent walkthrough thread). Sortable by spell level for a particular class's spell list, name, etc. The only thing left to do is add domain spell info to the list, which I will probably do today.

So, is there a way to share such things on this board?

3. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

You can attach files directly to posts, though I don't recall the upper limit on size. How big is your spreadsheet?

4. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

Hmm... apparently it won't allow xls files.

5. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

I've seen zip files. Can you compress it?

6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Attach it as a .rar, or just paste the data into your post. If you use the 'code' formatting (# sign, [ CODE ][ /CODE ] without the spaces), your tabs and whatnot will be preserved.

Also the Modpack Explained thread lists all the Co8-added spells, including higher level domain spells.

7. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

I derived the spell lists by actually creating the relevant characters and leveling them to 20 via the console. I think I'm going to do the same for the domains. The reason being that some spells that are listed as being for a domain, such as "suggestion" as the 3rd level Trickery spell in the manual, do not actually exist in the game, and I only want to include spells that exist.

I'll try to add in a marker for the spells added by the modpack, Gaear, thanks.

And yeah, I'll zip it and upload it when I'm done, which should be within several hours.

8. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

Okay! So, eleven clerics with 22 distinct domains later, I have added the domain spell information, though it's not fully incorporated yet into the master list of spells. Domains has its own tab/worksheet in the document. Took longer than expected because I got ambitious with testing the domain powers. Glad I did, though:

In the course of doing this, I came across several bits of wonkiness, all of which are mentioned in the spreadsheet, but I'll add here:

* The Strength Domain gets both Stoneskin & Protection from Arrows as the level 6 domain spell. It should be only Stoneskin.
    * The Plant Domain gets both Control Plants & Spike Stone as the level 4 domain spell. It should be only Control Plants.
    * Clairaudience/Clairvoyance (Knowledge) is invisible in the domain spell list, likely because the name is too long. It still functions correctly if the space is clicked on; I memorized and cast it successfully. I don't know if there may be similar repercussions as having items with names that are too long.
    * Multiple domain powers do not work correctly (or in some cases, at all). Specifically:

ANIMAL grants a charm animal ability, rather than the stated speak with animals/Knowledge (nature)

HEALING domain power does not work. It adds no level boost to non-domain healing spells and, to make matters worse, domain healing spells are always cast as though your caster level were only 1. This was tested through numerous castings of healing spells to determine the maximum and minimum range. For example, having a 20th level healing domain caster cast cure light wounds from her healing domain slot established that the range of healing is from 2-9, which means her caster level is only being treated as 1. Likely the bug is a result of setting the domain caster level to one, instead of ADDING one to the general caster level.

KNOWLEDGE domain power is non-functional (it does not add to the caster level of divination spells)

MAGIC domain power does not allow you to use wizard items as it should.

PROTECTION is really messed up (though not in a way bad for the cleric). Rather than adding your cleric level to a single saving throw, it creates an apparently permanent ward that only dissipates after sleeping for 8 hours (at once) or more. The saving throw bonus, then, applies to all saving throws. The negative is that the bonus is based on the cleric level of the one receiving the ward, not the level of the cleric casting it. Still, this means a 15th level Protection domain cleric can have a PERMANENT +15 to all saving throws, even, that stacks with everything. Fun times.

SUN allows multiple uses of Greater Turning per day, not just one as it should be. Specifically, the same number of uses of Greater Turning as you have of normal Turning (though they are separate counts).

I have not yet tested whether the elemental turning powers, the charm animal power, or the freedom of movement power (from TRAVEL) work correctly, though they are selectable from the radial menu, and appear to do something. I have no reason to think that they don't work, I just haven't confirmed it.

Attached Files:

9. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Confirmed: I noticed that during my last run through.
    Sounds like the calculating of caster levels for Domains is broken in general. We had that for Potions, NPC spells etc etc too until fixed.

Sorry to add to your labours but can you confirm if Evil etc work in this regard? If not, it can be fixed manually but its a big job.

10. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

Already checked. Evil, Good, Law, Chaos all correctly add to caster level. (Easiest to check just by looking at duration of Protection from X).

The problem with Knowledge and Healing is not identical, though: Knowledge domain spells are not cast at caster level 1, they simply lack the boost.

So:

HEALING domain:
    * Non-domain slot healing spells are cast at normal caster level, no boost.
    * Domain slot healing spells are cast at caster level 1.

KNOWLEDGE domain:
    * Both non-domain slot and domain slot divination spells are cast at normal caster level, no boost.

11. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I moved this over here to the modding forum. Maybe we can post the results somewhere more visible like the Modpack Explained thread or a ToEE sticky or whatever, but right now this business is largely modding discussion based. Don't want the masses to have brain aneurysms. ;)

12. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Well, as I said, I think it can be fixed. Thanks for testing that. If you don't mind I'll probably move this section of the thread to the Domain spells thread.

EDIT: :ninja:

13. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

Sure thing. I'm tweaking the file more, and incorporating the domain spells into the master list. I'm also trying to think of an easy way to test the remaining few domain powers that I haven't tested yet.

14. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

Okay, I've incorporated the domain spell lists into the main list, and added a few other columns. This attached version is the "final" version in the sense that I can't think of anything else to add to it, though I'll of course be interested in updating it to reflect any new changes/fixes to the modpack.

Attached Files:

15. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Fixed? I still routinely get Potions of Cure Light Wounds that only cure 1 HP. And occasionally 13 too, though that's possible if the caster level is five. But those same potions will yield 1. Cure Moderate Wounds potions should have a minimum of 5, and Cure Serious 8. Both of those routinely yield less than their minimums as well.

Our Host!