Caves of Chaos brands -- SPOILERS!!!

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by relic, Aug 17, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. relic

relic Established Member

Could someone please explain to me the logic behind the different "brands" the various humanoid bosses are carrying in the Caves of Chaos?

I've started a new game with version 1.0.1. In the previous version, if you looted the brand from the boss immediately after combat, it would do 15 - 20 hit points of damage -- which is very deadly for 1st level characters. But I discovered if I came back and picked up the brand after the bodies were gone, I could pick up the brands no problem.

So I tried picking up the Kobold brand after the boss' body was gone, and -- BAM -- it nailed me with the damage. I know you need all the brands before you can access the final battle at the Caves of Chaos, but what's the deal with these brands? Are they evil talismans or relics or what? I just don't understand the logic behind not being able to pick the brands up without receiving the damage. Someone please help me pull my head out. :)

Thanks...

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

They're evil, try having a non-good character pick them up. Parties of 5 Paladins may be in trouble, but first-level parties are unlikely to be handling them (even if a 1st level party could knock over one of the chiefs, which is not unlikely, they'd probably level).

3. relic

relic Established Member

Thanks, Ted. I don't know why I never considered that.

Our Host!