ToEE Front-End X Official Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'ToEE Front-End X' started by Agetian, Oct 14, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

IMPORTANT UPDATE: A new front-end for Temple of Elemental Evil, called ToEE Front-End X, is finally released after almost five months of work! The new Toffee-X (ToEE Front-End X) is a replacement for the old Toffee (ToEE Front-End) that aims at higher stability and better interaction with various active scanning software, such as anti-viruses and firewalls. The module switching engine has been completely rewritten from scratch, so old 0002/0004 crashes and errors should no longer be a problem.

This is a critical update. We advise everyone to upgrade to the new ToEE Front-End X because it will become a new standard for the Circle of Eight modules shortly.

ToEE Front-End X is available for download here.
    Please report all bugs, problems, as well as state your opinion here in this thread.

Make sure you read the readme thoroughly before installing or starting to use ToEE Front-End X. When answering your questions and bug reports we'll assume that you are familiar with the information in chapters 1-7 of the ToEE Front-End X readme. "Ignorantia non est argumentum" (ignorance is not an argument).

When reporting problems and bugs, please make sure that your report conforms to the bug reporting guidelines outlined in chapter 7 of the TFE-X-README. Bug reports that do not conform to the bug reporting guidelines will not be accepted until they are submitted properly.

- Agetian

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  2. blackfly

blackfly Established Member

New Front end V1.0

Does downloading this mean current saves will be corrupted? I just got my game running (using 5.0.4) and all is stable, and I am at a stage where going back is going to mean a LOT of backtracking.

If old saves will be safe please let us know as I am sure I am not going to be the only one asking this.

3. Agetian

Re: New Front end V1.0

Your current saved games will remain safe and will be imported into your TFE-X installation.

As an extra safety precaution you can (and probably should, since TFE-X is new technology) back them up in case something goes wrong, but everything should be alright. Also, you can choose to finish your game first before switching to the new TFE-X (if the old one works stable enough for you, then go ahead and finish your game).

A side note: is there any particular reason you made a separate thread for this when there's an official discussion thread around? I'm merging it with the discussion thread. Please stick to discussing the new front-end there.

- Agetian

4. blackfly

blackfly Established Member

Sorry. I was not sure it would be addressed.

I am hoping the new front end works fine, but I think I am going to wait. I am in the middle of a good game and everything is stable right now. Once I am finished with this party and game I will get it all going, including 5.0.6

I am assuming the new front end will make the 5.0.6 install easier/more stable?

5. Agetian

Yes, the primary goal of the new front-end is to stabilize things. The old 0002/0004 problems and related crashes are definitely gone with the new release. Also, installation will be simpler, especially when a native TFE-X version of the Co8 5.0.6 mod is released (shouldn't take long AFAIK). Details of working with both old-format and new-format modules can be found in the readme.

And yeah, sure, go ahead and finish your game before switching to the new front-end. :)

- Agetian

6. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Agetian,

You may want to update the read-me with the information that vanilla ToEE must be the active module in the old FE before you can upgrade it to FE-X. I was a little suprised when the installation bombed out telling me I had to reset old FE since nothing about that had been in the read-me (unless I'm blind.)

Other than that: even though you spelled it out more than once, I was not quite ready to believe how long it would take to activate the 5.0.x module, especially when FE-X showed up as "Not Responding" on the taskbar.

Once installed, it has run very nicely, and I do think the interface is better than the old version. Well done.

7. Agetian

@ erkper: Yeah, the readme update will be done today, thanks for pointing that out. And yeah, installing and activating things could take quite a long while depending on what kind of hardware and software you have. It's totally unavoidable if you want it to be done in a stable way though, sorry about that. I guess I'll spell it out even more clearly in the updated readme. ;)

EDIT: Updated the readme as suggested, added info about switching back to ToEE before installing TFE-X, and also some extra words about the TFE-X taking a while to install.

- Agetian

8. Lightsfantastic

Lightsfantastic Member

After Action Report
    Installed correctly... :yes:
    Reminded me to DE-ACTIVATE... :thumbsup:
    Properly Converted old saves and PC'S... :rock:
    Me? :joy:

Now off to learn how to Mod.
    Thanks.

9. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

Toffee-x question

How will the new toffee-x affect current games?

When downloaded will it be required to restart any old save games?

Will it effect the latest CMF updates/patches or are these separate entities?

10. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

(Above post moved to TFE-X discussion thread)

It won't.

:scratchhe What?

There will soon be an announcement thread in GM saying what's going to happen with the Co8 modpack and CMF with TFE-X.

11. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Hmm, what I was wondering is, will TOEEFEX be able to handle KOTB as well, or will we still need to use separate front-ends?

12. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

Saw the new thread you just posted Gaear. Answered my questions quite nicely.

Thanks!

13. Agetian

ToEEFE-X is able to handle everything, there's no need for a separate front-end for anything anymore.

- Agetian

14. Scryler

Scryler Night's Wordsmith

OK. If anyone is going to have problems with this, it's me. (But I bet you already knew that...maybe even laid bets on it?) So...some clarification, please.

#5. Toward the end of the first paragraph. I thought ToEE module was a default. Looks that way to me. I've always had to move the highlighting bar to the Co8 module in order to get it to load. So are you saying here that you also have to manually select it, even though it is the default? Before trying to install the new FE?

#6. Next-to-last paragraph. I cannot make sense of this paragraph. The words just swim around in my head when I read them. Could you, perhaps, write this in a list form? If I am the only one who is ever going to have problems with this, then I guess it isn't worth it, but I truly don't understand what it is saying.

I apologize in advance if my questions are laughable. Or irritating.

Woo Hoo!!! I am soooo excited!

I got it to work!

Yay for me!

Yay for Co8 for making it really really easy!!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  15. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Yay! Waiting for the 5.5.0 patch or whatever it was supposed to be called!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!