ToEE stucking in combat

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Kyblik, Jun 17, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Kyblik

Kyblik Member

hello everyone i need some help with ToEE.

im on lvl2 in Temple and now i just get stuck in combat and cant do anything. cant press Space to activate another character or monster in queue, cant press Esc for load/quit options. outside of combat all is ok, can move about freely. all was ok until i freed Elven prisoners in the north section of lvl2, then attacked those bugbears further north and stuck. can it be because of that?? i have latest Co6 mode pack installed. thx for help.

[i have this post in general disccusion in community section, coz i didnt see this part of forum in the 1st place. plz some of the moderators, delete it in community/general if needed]

2. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi Kyblik
    I can tell you that freeing the Elves should not cause a lockup when you fight the big Bugbear group in the Northeast Corner of Level 2. At least I have never had a problem in this regard in the 2 years I've been playing this game. I have seen the game slow down in some big fights like the Big Bugbear fight.

The Royal Canadian

3. Fenril

Fenril Member

This is quitte amazing : the exactly same problem just occured on my computer : Game frozen in the middle of a fight (the bugbear throng, after the elves, 2nd level of temple).

It had already happened, but all the other times, it had started again after a few seconds. This time, I had to Ctrl+Alt+Supp.

I noticed that moving the screen was trigering this kind of problem. So next time I reload to kill the bugbears, I will be careful not to move to much !

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  4. vampiricpuppy

vampiricpuppy cuddly nosferatu

if you reload before the combat and attack them again, does it re-occur? It may also be worth trying reloading and attacking something else to test to see whether its an individual combat or monster.

5. Fenril

Fenril Member

I have reloaded and this time I was able to finish. However, I have been careful not to move the screen too much.

I really think this crash was caused by a slow down (too many NPC to manage I guess).
    By the way, the game slows tremendously as soon as my party gets into the fire ward (lvl 2 still), even without ANY fight. This is very odd, because nothing slows outside of the fire ward (safe the bugbears scene already mentioned above).

6. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

The nodes, ESPECIALLY the Fire Node are notorious for this. You WILL have problems in the Fire Node. Alas, there is little the Co8 can do about it. It's an engine issue and we don't have the source code.

Best suggestion: SAVE! SAVE! SAVE!

Multiple slots. Before and after every battle. After clearing individual areas. ETC. You'll thank us in the end! :thumbsup:

7. Kyblik

Kyblik Member

i tried to reload and fight another monsters (Werewolves, Trolls) and it stuck again. even tried to attack behind the doors, so not all Bugbears can see me, there were about 7 on the screen and still it froze.

8. dragonalumni

dragonalumni Elemental Warrior

I'm having exactly the same problems as the original poster 5 years. I'm running version 8.1 NC though.. I tried starting this battle from multiple doors (the huge air temple battle) and by walking in, or lobbing fireballs from outside. It always freezes on the second turn on my first character. (slot 0)...

Been working on this party a lot the last week.. do not won't to lose them.. I don't remember ever having the problem in 7.1 .. I tried to search for solutions this was the only thread that came up on google)

(If anyone is paying attention to this thread, brother smyth bugged out on me playing 8.1 My false start level 4 retired game and this game both times after I turn in the giant head and sleep in the inn, when I come out he gives me a free set of masterwork half-plate and has a forced dialogue from the inn exit that is empty except 1. 2. 3. (no text). )

9. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

Damn, I never got any free armor like that. Are you true neutral?

10. dragonalumni

^^ I think both times my parties were LG. I wanted to play a run without using the OP CG sword(s).

Today I tried to play again, I was shocked it didn't freeze up on the first round of combat again, I thought I was in the clear but just about when 2/3 of the bad guys in the air temple had died it froze up again. :(

11. dragonalumni

I just want to let anyone know that has this bug in the future that I think the solution that worked for me was leaving the area entirely and reloading it. After I came back I was able to do this battle without a freeze. Later though on level 2 as I approached the NE corner with all the bugbears the game would simply crash each time I got close. The same solution worked as simply reloading the game did nothing, but leaving the area and coming back I was able to approach without problems.

Our Host!