A picture of how a formation should be set up

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by qwert44643, Mar 21, 2015.

Remove all ads!
  1. qwert44643

qwert44643 Member

Im having trouble with my characters juggling their formation.
    I want basically my fighter and cleric up front(slots 1 and 2 i believe),
    my mage amd thief in the middle(slots 3 and 4),
    my ranger in the back(slot 5).

Is that right for not getting the mage and thief to be loaded up front.

I saw somewhere a link to some guide with a picture to show how it should be set up in section 25 but i couldnt find it for the like of me.

Thanks in advance,
    qwert

2. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

Are you saying that the formation is shifting around on you without your wanting it to? This will happen when you enter a blue door or stairs icon, and one of the things that drives me nuts. You'll need to select everyone in the party and walk a around a little to get them straight.

The formation is set by hitting the "F" key.

Here's what I would recommend for your party. I'm assuming the ranger is an archer, and the rogue is a combat rogue.

Formations.jpg

There are very few encounters in the game where something sneaks up behind you, so it's usually safe to leave the spellcasters in the rear.

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

4. ithildur

ithildur Established Member

Yes, that's a very handy tip for random encounters and other situations where you transition into a new area and combat begins right away.

Occasionally it doesn't help though, vs say the surprise special encounter vs the guy who shows up after you sell a certain someone's boots to the Traders... he tends to get initiative and beeline for either the party wizard or Melany (which is a smart tactic really), often dropping the wizard to negatives or instantly killing them in the opening surprise round.

Our Host!