Lesser Globe

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by sonofliberty, Mar 12, 2015.

Remove all ads!
  1. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

The lesser globe of protection spell does not work correctly. The mage should be able to cast any level spell out of the globe. It acts like the old anti-magic shell spell of AD&D days where any spell level 3 and below is cancelled no matter who cast it.

2. chano

chano Established Member

It works fine for me, i can cast any spell out of the globe but not inside it.
    Meaning no cure light,moderate or serious wounds inside it, but fireball magic missile on anyone outside

3. sonofliberty

It should not work that way, the mage should be able to cast any spell.

Globe of Invulnerability, Lesser
    Abjuration
    Level: Sor/Wiz 4
    Components: V, S, M
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: 10 ft.
    Area: 10-ft.-radius spherical emanation, centered on you
    Duration: 1 round/level (D)
    Saving Throw: None
    Spell Resistance: No

An immobile, faintly shimmering magical sphere surrounds you and excludes all spell effects of 3rd level or lower. The area or effect of any such spells does not include the area of the lesser globe of invulnerability. Such spells fail to affect any target located within the globe. Excluded effects include spell-like abilities and spells or spell-like effects from items. However, any type of spell can be cast through or out of the magical globe. Spells of 4th level and higher are not affected by the globe, nor are spells already in effect when the globe is cast. The globe can be brought down by a targeted dispel magic spell, but not by an area dispel magic.

4. Silvershadows

Silvershadows Member

Unfortunately , the Globe spell is the most bugged spell in ToEE .

Have you fought Falrinth ? If so , congratulations , you have stumbled into this annoying bug .

I haven't fully tested , but it seems if some spells expired ( like Stoneskin in this case ) or if you make a Coup de Grace action ( no matter the victim is inside or outside the aoe zone ) , the Globe will end abruptly and all creatures within will be immune to 0 to 3rd level spells PERMANENTLY . Only Jaroo can " solve " this problem , but , well , IMHO it is bad for the morale :p

Also , when regarding the effects should or should not be suppressed by Globe , the spell actually checks the Spell Slot Level! This means an Empowered Lighting Bolt can penetrate the Globe , even if it is only a 3-level spell :bored:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  5. Vexagar

Vexagar Member

Seems to mess up my concentration spells too, like Rage.

6. florian1

florian1 Established Member

My reading of the spell description is that no 0-3rd level spells affect targets inside the globe, period. Zero-3rd level spells can be cast out of the globe from the inside, but will not work on targets within the globe. So, no cure light wounds within the globe the way I read it. In addition, the wording "any type of spell can be cast through or out of the magical globe" implies that a lightning bolt could be cast by someone outside the globe, and strike a target on the other side of the globe, even if it has to pass through the globe to do so.

7. sonofliberty

Except you cannot.

8. florian1

florian1 Established Member

Ah. I clearly need to read more carefully : )

Our Host!