Character Editor Modified for Co8 Pack

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Rudy, Mar 10, 2015.

Remove all ads!
  1. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

This is an edited version of Ferros' long abandoned character editor, which you can download here http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/ToEE/index_editors.php, including the source code.

I couldn't convert the VC++ 6 file to a more modern version, so I just hex-edited the executable. Essentially what I changed is the names of some feats to be correct, as well as adding and removing some that should not be there for Co8 modpack.

LIST OF CHANGES:

* Fixed Exotic Weapon Proficiency naming; Halfling Siangham was replaced with Monk Spade, for example, but this was not reflected in the editor. Several others.
    * Fixed Weapon Finesse: Now there is only a singular Weapon Finesse feat, as there should be.
    * Fixed the list of weapons included for Improved Critical, Weapon Focus, Greater Weapon Focus to reflect the weapons available in Co8. Ugh, tedious.
    * Enabled Greater Weapon Focus editing.
    * Added the following feats to the editor: Forge Ring, Craft Staff, Far Shot, Enlarge Spell
    * Removed the following feat from the editor: Deft Hands (not actually implemented in game)
    * Added the following class abilities to the editor: Favored Enemy, Defensive Roll, Opportunist, Skill Mastery, Slippery Mind, Crippling Strike, Uncanny Dodge, Improved Evasion. I haven't tested whether these function properly if you give them to a class that does not naturally have them; use at own risk, etc, etc.

USING THIS CHARACTER EDITOR:

First, note that this is a character file editor, not a savegame editor.

Ferros' character editor is very fragile; this is not due to changes I made, but is rather the behavior of the base program. When you are using it, observe the following rules. They may be overkill, but I have had no problems since I started following these.

1) BACK UP YOUR CHARACTER FILE, GEEZ!
    2) Open the "feats" screen only once per character. If you have to open it a second time, save the file, close the program entirely, then open it again.
    3) Close the program entirely and restart it before editing a different character.
    4) Know that the program is a bit unreliable about deleting feats. If you accidentally add a feat you didn't mean to, better to close without saving, then try again, rather than try to delete it.

ORGANIZATION OF FEAT LIST:

The list of feats is mostly alphabetical for standard feats, followed by class abilities in no particular order. Notable exceptions are Combat Reflexes, which is mixed in with the class abilities, and Widen Spell, which is at the very, very bottom of the list. This is not something I can practically change via hex editing.

OTHER:

Please let me know if anything does not function to expectation.

For those that may actually remember me, sorry for disappearing for, like, 2 years. I don't really have an excuse, other than getting married and graduate school, and starting work as a professor. Should have at least said something, regardless. Sorry.

EDIT: See post 3 for latest version.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Hey Rudy, welcome back. LarkinVB recentky did some work on TCE, which can be referenced here: http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10467

BTW, you'll be happy to know that many of your mods from two years ago are now in the modpack. :)

3. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

Interesting; the fix he makes there would resolve the bug that requires you to only open up the feats screen once per use of the program, as I mentioned above. However, that's not enough to make me re-do the hex-editing I did, which took several hours :)

Unfortunately, the code requires professional level software that I do not have, and am not interested in spending money on, to re-compile, or else I would go that route.

Bottom line, as long as one follows the instructions above related to only opening the feat window once per use, you won't run into the bug fixed by the linked thread.

As far as some of my (admittedly minor) mods being implemented, as well as the fixes, that is good to hear. :)

4. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

Minor update to the previous version:

CHANGES:

* I thought that I had removed Deft Hands, but I hadn't. Now it's gone. Not a big deal, but if you are using Ferros' original, or the first version I posted here, do not add the Deft Hands feat to any character, as it is not implemented in game, so that can only lead to bad things.

* Fixed the Martial Weapon Proficiency feats to be in line with those available in Co8. Specifically, removed the martial weapon proficiency for the longspear (which is a simple weapon, at least in Co8), and added proficiency feats for the halberd and trident to the editor.

I *think* that takes care of all relevant changes; if anything else occurs to me, or I notice any problems, I'll continue to tweak it. So far I am playing a game with characters extensively modified using the editor without ill effect.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
Our Host!