Scather not always retaliating

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by ErikModi, Mar 8, 2015.

Remove all ads!
  1. ErikModi

ErikModi Member

Finally made a character to get use out of Scather (Chaotic Good Fighter 1/Rogue X, two-weapon feats and so on, using an enchanted shortsword off-hand), and I've noticed that Scather doesn't always retaliate. Sometimes it hits back constantly, sometimes it doesn't. I haven't been able to discern a pattern so far. Anyone have experience with the issue?

2. chano

chano Established Member

have you tried using it without the short sword for a while, if it work fine alone then you will have found the problem.
    I never use scather with CG or CN characters due to the bug surrounding it, a NG is the best one to use because u can use it in the fire node aswell.

3. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

I use it in the fire node with out issue. You do know about the work around of trying to drink a potion or use an item; right?

4. ErikModi

ErikModi Member

I haven't tried not duel-wielding, I'll give it a shot.

Also, what are the bugs with CG and CN? I've heard a lot of references, but never an actual definition. I'm aware of the one about retaliating against damage shield powers, saw it happen a few times in the Fire Temple, but didn't get into the game-breaking circle of AoOs glitch.

EDIT: Tried it without dual wield, and still not answering routinely. Does the AoO only occur on a hit, not an attack that misses?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  5. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

Bingo- Scather only responds after you get hit, not because the enemy is attacking you (and maybe missing). I thought it worked that way as well- big disappointment that it didn't. As such, I only used it on that one occasion...

6. ErikModi

ErikModi Member

Aha. Thank you.

7. Nightcanon

Nightcanon Garrulous Halfling

Yep, the answering swords answer only when you take damage, not when folk swing at you- so downgrading your AC and adopting another method of staying alive (e.g. Stoneskin) is your friend here.
    Does anyone know if fire immunity stops the cycle of retribution when you hit the Balor with one of these swords as a chaotic character? I know I had a work-around but can't remember if it was 'wear a ring of fire resistance' or 'hand sword to paladin for this fight'.

Our Host!