Butcher of Hommlett - I'm innocent!

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by dragonalumni, Mar 20, 2015.

Remove all ads!
  1. dragonalumni

dragonalumni Elemental Warrior

I'm playing a LG party at the stage where I was trying to rescue Praida. I tried several things but finally figured out I had to break enchantment on her, the problem is that with my group of 8 she still went aggro after I told her to follow me back to Hommlett.

I tried to rez her but she went aggro again so I killed her again.. next time I rezzed her and broke the enchantment (again?) and choose a different dialogue path and she did not go aggro. I thought all was well and proceeded to fight Hedrak and clear out Earth and Water.

The problem is, that after all of that I went back to Homlett and everything is aggro. I found that I have a 'butcher of homlett' reputation now as well.

I did some searching and found a single reference in a 50 page thread about version 7.x (I'm running 8.1.0 nc).. The advice given was to console game.party[0].reputation_remove(1) however this does nothing, no error and no "ok" either and of course I still got that rep.

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice as I'm not overly interested in replaying the last 4 hours of my last clean save.

2. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

Make sure the first character in the row of characters at the bottom (who is game.party[0]) is a PC. It won't trigger you have an NPC like Furnok or Otis in the first slot.

Also, while your intentions were good, you got the rep by killing 2 people from Hommlet, or in your case the same person twice (Paida).

3. dragonalumni

Well in my own defense Paida attacked me without reason. I broke the enchantment on her and we had a civil discussion, I told her to follow me home (but my group was full) and she decided commit suicide on my warrior by trying to rush my group. Once I even tried to do non-leathal damage and my rogue still killed her. :(

console game.party[0].reputation_remove(1) does not work anymore. I started to experiment and decided to add_reputation(1) to see the result and it says "butcher of homlett - REPORT THIS" so it seems Co8 for some reason decided to change the reputation order? Anyways I finally found the reputation was somewhere between 90 and 99 and all of the reputations I already had were found somewhere between 1-40.

Thankfully "shift up arrow" works in console so I just had to change the number each time and not retype everything out. -.-

4. Dreamteam

Dreamteam Member

Make sure all your party are set to non-lethal damage before you talk to Paida. That way, whatever happens if things go south you will not kill her.

Just be aware that good aligned NPCs like Otis will turn aggressive and leave the party if you attack Paida or try and cast a spell on her as well :no: This is, however, one way to get Otis to leave the party and return to Nulb that allows you to rehire him later if you want (even if he has already been rehired once) :yes: Just charm him while you bludgeon Paida into unconsciousness, and when the charm spell wears off Otis returns to Nulb on his own, none the wiser for what happened. Ditto with Paida when she wakes up.

5. marc1967

It seems they changed it to 92. I wonder why?

6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

The Butcher rep # was changed in the latest release in order to attempt to address the persistent NPC aggro problems with Elmo, Fruella, etc. when other NPCS died at places like Emridy Meadows. There's scripting in place to prevent that happening, but it kept happening anyway, which led me to suspect there may be an internal routine running, similar to the way paladin drinking/falling used to work. Changing the reputation number for the drinking contest and nullifying the original fixed that, so ...

Speaking of which, I haven't heard much or any groaning about aggro NPCs lately. Fixed?

7. dragonalumni

So my opening quest to free this girl who was not in the moathouse but instead on the 4th level of the ToEE, it required me to kill what seemed like 1000 npcs and earn 10 levels of experience.

My reward....75 xp.

The dialogue with her is REALLY messed up if you talk to her during the quest with 8 in your group.

Well I may never play an 8 person PC group or a LG group again so I suppose it doesn't matter.
    :p

8. marc1967

I know the feeling, too funny.

I feel the same way when I get Trejon's precious artifact. Kill dozens of undead, an undead priest and his minions waiting in ambush, usually run into a hill giant, and I get 180 xp split 5 ways. Plus his reaction doesn't go up for doing him that favor, but that's another story.

In defense of the Paida quest, it does have one of the higher challenge ratings, but as you are usually nearing level 10 if you take the dungeon levels in order, the CR gets reduced so much you get very little xp's for it. Funny, if you noticed, that Paida gets a share of the xp's too, just to rub it in. :p

I generally make a quick diversion down to level 4 pretty early on in the temple part of the adventure, sneaking down to level 3 via the broken tower, and then past the wisps and the lamia, and a few trolls down to level 4 where paida is.

Our Host!