Help! I can't talk to Burne's assistant

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by infidelsaint, Mar 11, 2015.

Remove all ads!
  1. infidelsaint

infidelsaint Member

So I did the rescue Lareth quest, got him out of the castle back to the Broken Tower. When I went back to the castle however the guard still acts like Lareth is there, and prevents me from staying at the level where Burne's assistant is at. I've tried talking to Burne already but nothing changes. Is this a bug? I really need to visit the assistant's shop for scrolls.

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I haven't looked into that scenario in a long time, but what does Burne say? If he doesn't like you, it seems appropriate that he wouldn't deal with you. (Albeit the Badgers shouldn't act like Lareth's still there.)

3. infidelsaint

infidelsaint Member

Burne doesn't seem to like me, but that's not the issue. He's not the vendor anymore and directs me to his assistant when I mention trading. His assistant is in the basement (1 level lower than Burne) where the guards are. The guards auto initiate dialogue whenever I go downstairs, and there's only two options: leave or attack. I can't even talk to his assistant (the vendor) without killing the guards.

PS: Every time I talk to Burne he suspects me of having something to do with something that happened in the castle (i.e. letting Lareth go). But I can still talk to him normally about trading, about having him join me, and about the Golden Skull.

4. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

If the guards say "Sorry, sir, but this area is off limits at the moment. You need to leave immediately.", then your actions with Lareth have triggered the guards to be suspicious of you when you enter. There are a couple global variables you can reset if you really want to get back down there, but since you helped a murderous psychopath escape, maybe you should play things out as the plot intends.

5. infidelsaint

infidelsaint Member

So i take it this isn't a bug then? Busting Lareth out (and getting his shop) prevents further access to the magic shop in Hommlet? I'm fine with following the plot, just making sure it's the way the game is currently set up to run.

6. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Have you tried sneaking everyone downstairs and initiating dialog with the assistant?

7. infidelsaint

infidelsaint Member

lol it worked. i guess i'll just stick with this then and go along with the plot.

Our Host!