Co8 New Content: War of the Golden Skull

Discussion in 'New Content Subdirectories' started by Gaear, Mar 22, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. Forgalz

Forgalz Established Member

Does Fireforge have a better inventory in 8.1.0 ? For a guy who has a quest to come in near the end of the game, a couple of +2 weapons and a +3 red chainmail are a bit non-plussing.

2. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

The new XP scaling must be more severe than I thought. WotGS used to be good for 2-3 levels easy.

3. BigEvil

BigEvil Member

I'm a little late to the party playing this wonderful mod. I keep having trouble with the War of the Golden Skull: Defender quest. After the waiting period is done and I question the "old man', when I try to exit to the town map, the game crashes. I see that my character portraits are replaced with blue generic heads and apparently loose all their hit points. There are also several enemy blue heads that are named "door" that briefly show before the crash.

I can try to get a screenshot, but the screen only shows for a split second before the game totally crashes.

I've tried teleporting out of the building instead of leaving via the door and then traveling back. The town is normal until I enter a buildnig again and try to leave. So basically I can't progress at all.

4. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I recommend re-activating the mod. If you are using a custom portrait pack you will need to activate that again also from its drop down menu.

5. BigEvil

BigEvil Member

Thank you for the response. I tried reactivating the mod to no avail. The portraits I used came with the mod.

6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Unfortunately it sounds to me like you're installation never really 'took' completely, as you're most likely crashing from trying to go to a map that doesn't exist. That would mean you'd have to start over, ideally after re-downloading, reinstalling, and reactivating the mod. (This sort of thing could happen as a result of installing the game to the Program Files directory in a Windows 7 or 8 installation.)

7. BigEvil

BigEvil Member

Damn. I guess it's not the worst thing in the world to start from scratch. Maybe I'll give myself a level boost to speed up the process. Although I have yet to figure out how to express xp higher than 65535 in HEX.

Thanks for your help guys. All the extra stuff added to the game (that I was able to get to) has been great!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2015
  8. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

My only "complaint" or concern about the WOTGS is that my first time through I took the guy who was the contact. He eventually died because my heal spells would not work on him.

9. sirchet

You could open the console and type game.party[x].award_experience(#######)

X= the characters position in the bottom of the screen, o being the first spot.
    #= numbers ie 10000 for 10,000 experience.

Just remember to be very careful when using the console because it is the biggest cause of corrupting games.

10. FDR4PREZ

FDR4PREZ Established Member

I just completed the WotGS for the first time. It certainly makes running around Hommlet doing the beginning FedEx quests look like child's play ;)

I am thinking that I started this quest a little too late in the game. My party of 5 PCs were level 18 when I started. During the entire quest I didn't attempt to rest, and when I got enough experience points to reach 19th level I did not level up until after the war was over.

Is there an average level that this quest was meant to be tackled with?

I think I started all Verbo quests a bit too late, well, I did the first Wilfrick quest, and some others, right away, but the Slavers, Monster Mash and WotGS I held off until I was much higher level.

I was previously spanked by the Slavers, so I decided to wait a bit before I attempted them again and maybe I waited too long because I used Holy Word, and maybe some other high level spells, during Monster Mash, Slavers and the first battle of WotGS against Wakefield very effectively.

I am not one to over pre-buff either. Typically it is one Stoneskin and Bull Strength per person per quest, and have at it from there. If you wore out your stoneskin, then you had better get some bandages because you ain't getting another.

I am thinking that Monster Mash and the Slavers have potential to be tougher fights than the initial WotGS battle with Wakefield. Maybe I'll reload and not use such starting devastation and see what Wakefield can do.

On a side note:
    Seeing that I was ambushed by two Hextorite giants during a random encounter, then why weren't there any present during the WotGS? One would think that if you had giants at your disposal then one should be pounding on the church and one would be pounding on the guard tower. But I guess I killed them already, so they missed the fun.

Anyways, I do enjoy all the new content and I may attempt an evil path next go-round.

11. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

Defend the Temple (Artifact)
    I cleared almost all of Hommlet. Abe Lincoln (as I call him) says only the north road foes still need killing. Where does he mean?

EDIT: It's behind the church. He should have said so in his textual description!

The guy also said he had an amulet to detect this stuff, but was wearing no item. It would help to make the lore match the stats.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  12. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

I think War of the Golden Skull is my favorite quest from the new content. It's really well made

13. Oleg Ben Loleg

Oleg Ben Loleg Established Member Supporter

After Zuggy I almost constantly think my group has too much XP for each battle, except fot a few fights like monster mash or slavers.
    It's the problem that all the new content will inevitably disbalance the game. Most content after Zuggy will be too easy for most players. Only way you can keep up challenge is by self restricted limits, like no holy weapons, distract XP by killing end reviving group memberrs etc. There are threads dealing just with the question how to counter growing disbalance of late game.

14. sirchet

When you're shown the map of Hommlet and where the attacks are taking place it does show the North Road group behind the church.
    Personally, I feel the map presentation for the battle is very well done and I really like the way it changes as the text talks about each area under attack.

sigofmugmort likes this.
  15. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

IIRC you can also type "levelup" into the console a bunch of times.

Our Host!