Good Start On The Walk Through

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by sonofliberty, Nov 18, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

Hey Gazra, you have made a good start on the walk through. Thanks. Can I ask some spoiler questions? Or should I ask them privately?

2. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

Ask questions in this forum and somebody (most likely Shiningted, but maybe another forum member or me) will answer them. Keep in mind that I have never been to the Castellan's dinner or gotten Heggrim to sell masterwork items to me or played a Lawful Neutral playthrough, so I know nothing about those things.

I am busy creating guide maps and typing out all of my notes into the walkthrough, which I hope to finish by the end of this coming weekend.

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Ask the questions over here pls so the walkthrough thread remains clean.

4. sonofliberty

That was my plan. To ask here. I will wait until after the weekend to see what we get.

5. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I have to say, your walk through is looking as well done as your guide.

Very nice and I for one am very appreciative for your time and effort. :)

6. Shiningted

Please note that Gazra is regularly updating the posts in the Walkthrough, even if he is not necessarily adding new posts that make it show up as an 'updated' thread on the forum.

Also note I am adding a few things myself as I think of them - please don't take that to mean Gazra missed them (he's till working on it), its more of a 'covering the bases' thing. (Yes I play baseball, despite being Australian).

7. sonofliberty

Ahh, ok. Let me go back and check. Thx.

8. sonofliberty

One question to get us started. Once I have been recruited by the thieves guild, why can't I report them to the captain of the guard or any other officer instead of going through with the rescue?

9. Shiningted

Hmmm... I do remember at least starting that bit (though possibly not finishing it), try going to the Bailiff and Watch Captain in the pub at night and see what happens.

Unfortunately, a lot of the 'natural consequences' of quests etc have not been implemented (though a lot have :)) So if you blow off the Guild, or keep stealing against their instructions, nothing happens yet (sudden murderous ambushes in your bed will come later ;))

10. sonofliberty

One other issue I don't get. The black smith has tasked me with setting up a relationship with the merchants guild to offload some of his wares. I rescued the merchant from the cave, why can't I join the merchants guild? It would seem tailor made.

11. Shiningted

I'll jot down a few things re joining the Guild and give them to Gazra to post, there's a number of ways but folks are having trouble.

12. Shiningted

Ok, Gazra's been good enough to put that up, please check the Walkthrough :)

13. sonofliberty

Checked, I guess that is what I get for giving that merchant's silk to Flay. NP, I know where the other bundle of silk is.
    I tried taking a break between talking to the queen spider and killing her to go talk to the bailiff. I got no option to discuss my progress(all other spiders exterminated except the wounded one who was healed instead, and merchant rescued) to get the scrolls Gazra mentioned.

14. Shiningted

I'm away from my modding PC atm but will try to get to the bottom of all this tomorrow, sonofliberty.

15. Dreamteam

Dreamteam Member

Been lurking here in the Co8 forum for a long time. Thought someone might be interested in a kind of AAR log I made back in August after my first playthrough of KotB. I posted it over at GoG.

I realize Gazra is writing a guide here in this forum that answers a lot of the open questions I had, but he might get a few ideas for tips to players from places where I stumbled and couldn't figure out what to do.

I really enjoyed playing the KotB Mod, and want to thank the Modders who put so much care into it. That said, from a game-design perspective some of the conditions for activating certain story arcs are not obvious. For example the Thieves Guild story arc never activated (I guess I didn't enter/leave the pub often enough). BUt I did find a locked door in the sewers under the Keep, so I figured I was missing something. I never did figure how to trick my way into the Inner Bailey, even though I knew I needed a disguise (I thought I needed to disguise myself as an officer and collected all the corresponding gear, but it didn't work) and had a very high disguise skill.

In the end though, maybe something needs to be said for a game that doesn't let you do every single quest before the end. Choices should have consequences after all, and lost opportunities are a reality of life. It's just the perfectionist in me that prefers green entries in the Quest Log to red or purple. But unless a substantial amount of content is added, I doubt I would run through it all again just to say I completed all story arcs. It was still a lot of fun as is, so thanks again!

Our Host!