Quest help

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by Ossie, Jan 25, 2015.

Remove all ads!
  1. Ossie

Ossie Member

OK need help with the following quests:

Raiders of the Southern Forest: when I go there I talk to the lion-thing, then she disappears & all that's left is the plant-thing at the top and the druid battle. Having cleared this map, it doesn't help with the quest?

Who's Raiding the Trading: I get as far as identifying the mud, then when I next speak to the priest in the pub during daylight hours, no dialogue option to advance this quest. When I go back to the merchant guild, there's an option to say "I'm crap, haven't solved it" which botches the quest (not done yet). ?????

One Big Harpy Family: all I've seen in the northen map (with the mad guy) is one baby harpy, with a large blocked out section in the middle I can't access?

Thieves' Guild: had the encounter saying "you're stealing in town, stop it & we'll be in touch", next time go to the pub at night I get the encounter to initiate contact with the Thieves' Guild but the pub is already hostile & after the dialigue options finish to go into the back room I get attacked?

Mad Guy Raping Women (or whatever it's called): can't get any sense out of him at all?

Billy: for some reason having not got it through dialigue the quill-and-parchment already tells me the captain wants me to stop Billy, but the encounter isn't generating?

Any help? Thanks

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  2. Dreamteam

Dreamteam Member

ATTENTION SPOILERS!

Raiders of the Southern Forest:
    There are boots on a stick or something you will find in a ruined hut on that map. Take those and show them to the Bailiff.

Who's Raiding the Trading:
    I never got further than trying to question the curate. My understanding is the quest requires high scores from your PC in different specialty abilities. If you don't have the right ability or enough skill, the next level of the quest won't activate.

One Big Harpy Family:
    There is a hidden tunnel that leads to the middle of that grove of trees you can't access. IIRC, poke around and search where the baby harpy was.

Mad Guy Raping Women (or whatever it's called):
    I didn't kill him (I figured if she wants him dead that would be bad), but rather go back and talk to the Scarlet Lady and tell her either you won't kill him or lie to her about it. She gives you a new quest.

Billy:
    Had the exact same problem... I talked to the Bailiff and was told to stop Billy and then went back outside, but he was not there anymore. I then tried climbing up through the Bailiff tower to the battlements. Naughta. I never could solve that quest.

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Re the Priest, that seems to be a recent bug somehow or other. There is a fix posted HERE.

Ossie: can you upload a saved game please? Sounds like Billy is still playing up (more likely it's played out in the background and the IQ&P set needs tinkering).

4. Ossie

Ossie Member

Thanks, saw that, wasn't sure if it referred to my problem. I'll guinea pig that - how do I add/run/whatever the file?

Happy to, if you tell me how! To clarify, I haven't received the quest yet or even seen the battle that triggers it. I saw a spoiler early while snooping around on the forum so I know what to look for, but that encounter has just never happened - I'm now weeks if not months of game time into the game so if it hasn't happened by now, I'm guessing the flag got missed somehow. Certainly I've never seen any dialogue option about it from the Bailiff yet the IQ&P has recorded as if I have.

Thanks. Any ideas on why the night crowd at the Tavern go hostile as soon as I enter for the Thieves Guild encounter? Things I've done in the Tavern at night:
    * spoken to each of the mercenaries, bought each a drink, established they all have the same "rule" (5gp + 5gp per battle etc), haven't hired any
    * spoken to each of the named mercs from the share house, not hired any except the dwarf (because of abovementioned other issues with quests, was getting impatient to find the Caves!), dismissed him as soon as we reached the Caves
    * haven't spoken with either the Bailiff or the ?Captain?. I turned them hostile on a previous save & reloaded
    * pissed Two Swords off about 50 times & bought her about 50 drinks, haven't hired her

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  5. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Re. Billy, has one of your characters ever floated a message along the lines of "You hear a commotion nearby"?
    If so, that was the "alert" that the Billy scenario is taking place - if you saw it and ignored it, the scenario played out without you. If not, that's probably a bug :p

See my sig for instructions on posting a save.

6. Ossie

Ossie Member

It's possible I missed it of course, but I knew what to look out for pretty early in the game. Pretty sure it didn't happen. And I'm certain that I got no dialogue option about it with the Bailiff. However the IQ&P has recorded it. Interestingly, I picked up the IQ&P quite late (only found out about it after reading the book in the trader, which I also only discovered quite late) and the Billy stuff was already in there first time I checked. Everything else was empty - I figure you have to aleady have the IQ&P when you learn anything, to be able to record it. So I went back around thye Keep talking to everybody about everything, in both day and nighttime. That filled up the IQ&P, but Billy was already there from the first time I opened it, and I *certainly* hadn't seen any dialogue about it since I had purchased it.

All of which suggests that it is a bug with the IQ&P as Shiningted days, and I missed the actual alert somehow. But I was sure I hadn't!

7. Ossie

Ossie Member

Save attached

Also, the Bailiff now goes hostile when I enter his office. I can only advance his quests if the hostile flag doesn't trigger for a second or so after I enter, giving me time to speak to him, run through the necessary dialogue, & get back out before he attacks. I've been through the dinner, got the pass, & same thing happens if I use the "I have a pass" option when I enter. No idea why this is, but I assume it's also the issue in the Thieves Guild encounter, as the Bailiff is in the tavern at night.

So updated list of quest help needed!

Raiders of the Southern Forest: have now found the shoes, have spoken to the Bailiff (race before he goes hostile!) but this hasn't solved it?

Who's Raiding the Trading: how do I "run" the Priest dialogue fix?

Thieves' Guild: night time pub is hostile - most likely the Bailiff?

Mad Guy Raping Women (or whatever it's called): because I didn't automatically agree to kill him when first mentioned, this quest is actually just mentioned, not accepted. But now I can't seem to accept or advance it?

Billy: as above - save game attached

Thanks all in advance for any help

Attached Files:

8. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Both of the Billy alert flags are on, which means that either you missed them or they somehow failed to display. I'd guess the alerts triggered while your characters were offscreen and you just didn't notice (e.g. you scrolled to the inn right away after entering the keep or something like that).

Once triggered, the Billy scenario gets resolved by itself after 45 minutes, so as far as the game is concerned it played out without you. The IQ&P should indeed be corrected to reflect this, though.

If you want to get to play the Billy scenario, you can reload a savegame from just before hitting level 3. Once you levelup to 3 it sets things in motion.

9. Ossie

Ossie Member

Fair enough - probably scrolled offscreen.

Although interestingly the Bailiff mentioned Billy (for the first time!) last night when I took back news of the boots from the southern raiders camp. The quest didn't resolve but he said something like "Billy should know". Strange

10. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Thanks for that Sitra, 'll fix the IQ&P file.

The Bailiff will talk about Billy whether you know him or not, but your responses should be dependant on what you do know. That probably needs some bullet-proofing too.

Our Host!