Craft Item: Costs and Requirements

Discussion in 'Guides and Help Threads' started by The Royal Canadian, Feb 28, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi Folks
    This is the current version of the chart ( v1.4 ), including what works, what doesn't, where your character wears it, etc...
    Here is an Excel chart listing the costs (in both Gold and Experience Points) and the requirements (spells, Level, Class, etc....) to craft any Wondrous Item, Rod, Staff, or Ring.
    A couple of notes on the "Minimum Caster Level Requirements":
    1.) In order to craft any magical item, your character must be a spellcaster of a certain level (which is why it is not a good idea for single class fighters to have any crafting feats). For example to get the feat "Craft Wondrous Item" your character must be at least 3rd Level in any spellcasting class.
    2.) When looking at Minimum Caster Levels in the chart, the number indicated is the lowest level in that class (assuming you have enough caster levels to have the feat) to create that item. For example, the only caster that can craft a Mandolin of Charming is a 17th (or higher) level Wizard, because 17th Level (or higher) Wizards are the only spellcasters who have access to the spell "Dominate Monster". On the other hand a Cleric / Wizard of 3rd / 1st Level would be able to craft "Hands of Shock" or "Hands of Fire" (as long as he/she has the appropriate spell(s) in his/her spellbook).
    3.) When looking at the Minimum Caster Levels for Clerics, if you see something like: "Fire:3", that indicates that the only clerics who can craft that item are 3rd Level or higher Clerics with the Fire Domain.
    Please doublecheck the chart and let me know if I made any mistakes.
    The Royal Canadian

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  2. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

awesome chart.
    Why no craft arms and armor btw?

3. The Royal Canadian

Hi
    I had actually worked up a chart showing the costs of Crafting Weapons and Armor, but for some reason I can't find it. Part of the problem is that there is a difference in costs depending on whether you are crafting armor or crafting a weapon. Don't ask my why, but crafting a suit of +1 Chainmail doesn't cost the same as crafting a +1 Greatsword. The other factor is that the cost of adding a plus or burst to a weapon depends on what bonuses the weapon already has. For example it costs less to craft a +1 Longsword to +2 then it does to craft the +1 Holy Longsword that you get from Filliken to +2.
    Horrible confession time: The main reasons I haven't re-worked the Craft Armor and Weapons chart are because:
    a.) I have taken a temporary (??) detour through Icewind Dale II
    b.) When I am not about to crashland on a remote glacier in the Forgotten Realms, I am about to go investigate a swamp somewhere South of the Keep on the Borderlands
    c.) In order to actually test all the different permutations and combinations of crafting, I will need a 12th Level or Higher party, which I don't have at the moment.
    At some point when I get back to ToEE I will spend a day or so (sometimes it is good to be unemployed) re-inventing the wheel, which I will ad to the chart. I'm glad you like it.
    The Royal Canadian

4. taltamir

Its not really "for some reason"... it follows the PnP rules.

The GP cost to craft an item is 1/2 its market value. the XP cost 1/25th the market value in GP.
    The market value of armor enchantments is indeed lower then weapon enchantments, that is on purpose...

There are a few enchantments that simply have a predetermined cost of GP and XP.
    Most however have a cost measured in "+X equivalent"...
    And the cost is the cost of upgrade... so if you take a flaming (+1 equivalent) frost (+1 equivalent) longsword +1 (+1 equivalent) its total equivalent enchantment is +3.

The cost of adding a +1 enchantment to it is then the cost of upgrading a +3 to a +4 weapon.
    I could add this info to the excel sheet, or make a new one that you could combine with it later.
    It will clarify the costs of weapon and armor crafting.

5. The Royal Canadian

Hi Taltamir
    If you want to work up a separate Excel spreadsheet for "Craft Armor and Weapons" be my guest !! I think it would probably be better as a separate worksheet from the Craft items worksheet as the format of the sheet will be different. Feel free to claim all the credit if you do.
    The Royal Canadian

6. taltamir

I have edited the file you posted:
    1. I move each crafting to its own excel sheet with an appropriate name.
    2. I added Weapon, Armor, and Shield crafting details. I have also tested them in detail and found some bugs in them and warned about known bugs. (1 causes crashes, another causes corruption of game)

Bugs and Issues:
    1. WARNING: If the name being displayed gets too long the game will crash, when adding many ehancements they will increase the name by quite a lot, make sure you keep watch of it and shorten the name aftering adding each of those (adding then removing then adding again will add it to the name twice)

2. WARNING: Weapon enhancement value total can go beyond 10. It is impossible by PnP (unless epic), in TOEE causes you to gain XP and GP and might corrupt the game requiring you start over, do not craft those

3. Note: You are limited to a total of 9 enhancements on a weapon/armor.

4. Note: Interestingly, the calculated value from 10 to 11 I got by "dragging" the equasion from the first to last box is correct, it seems that the game engine has the same issue as excel does, it simply follows the pattern and subtracts the next value over (none exist, so it uses 0) from previous value (100,000)

5. Note: Yes I noticed that I sometimes say enchant and sometiems say enhance. The two have different meaning and are used correctly. Enchantment = The process of crafting. Enhancement = The type of magical bonus

6. Note: TheHoly, Unholy, Axiomatic, and Anarchic enchantments in TOEE do normal damage of the same type as the weapon (unlike PnP)

7. Note: Enchanting Weapons, Armor, or Shields require that the character take Craft Magic Arms and Armor. However, the feat requires a level 5 character. Unless multiclassed, only wizards can take it at level 5, everyone else must take it at level 6.
    However, multiclass characters such as a rogue3/cleric3 is a level 6 character and can the feat on gaining their 3rd cleric level. Thus they can craft +1 enhancements. While a rogue4/cleric2 is also able to take the feat, but unable to craft a +1 until it gains another cleric level.

8. Silent Moves should require caster level 5, and the spell silence (which is only available to clerics and bards). However it seems to allow anyone to craft it (tested with druid, wizard, bard without silence spell)

9. In PnP Silent moves carries a fixed cost and does not go by total enhancement value… in TOEE it is a +1

10. Spell Resistance should require a caster level of 15 to craft and the ability to cast the spell "spell resistance" which is only available to clerics at level 9 and above. I tested it out and a cleric level 9 can craft it, while level 8 and below cannot.

check out this thread about burst weapons:
    http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7978
    and later on it turns to alignment:
    http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?p=94881#post94881

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  7. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

I could swear I've seen "holy" damage in TOEE... May be wrong though. It still passes through resistances as intended though, right?

8. taltamir

no, it doesn't. it deals plain old physical damage.
    if there IS a holy type then it should be changed to deal it... if not, change it to force (since there isn't a single creature in TOEE that has ER vs holy)

EDIT: wait a minute, I am reading the SRD now and it doesn't say it deals "holy damage"... only that it deals "extra damage"... i think this makes it untyped though; rather then the same type as the base weapon... or does it?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  9. The Royal Canadian

Hi Taltamir
    Nice work on the chart !! I was a little confused when you mentioned "Holy" doing "normal" damage. It's been a while since I checked the Damage rolls of a Holy Weapon, but I think what ToEE does, is it "classifies" Holy as some form of Elemental Damage that the target is not resistant to (I seem to remember seeing it show up as "Electrical" on more than one occasion).
    The Royal Canadian

10. taltamir

Thank you very much :p
    I believe those were hours well spent.

You are correct about there being holy damage in TOEE that ignores DR, but it only happens from spells. I was referring to "holy damage" from a holy weapon.

I recently tested this in 5.7.2 and holy enchantment simply adds standard physical damage... although maybe it should, check out this thread:
    http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8026

Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  11. taltamir

let me copy paste the conclusion:

EDIT: seems like that is not as settled as I thought after all:

someone in brilliant gameologists pointed this out to me:
    skydragonknight: "Vicious was ruled as "energy damage" in the FAQ, so DR doesn't stop you from hurting yourself."

Me: Could you please explain how vicious ties into the current discussion? I am not seeing the connection.

skydragonknight: "It also adds 2d6 damage, which was clarified in the 3.5 FAQ to be untyped energy damage. Just providing evidence that some weapon properties add untyped energy damage, so it might be possible with holy."

Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  12. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

I just had an epiphany. In order to make the game a little bit more balanced, how about removing crafting ability from characters and make a nice merchant set up somewhere that can craft items, for a huge price. I was think of the three blind cannibal stygian witches from Clash Of Titans. One would be a wizard, another a cleric and the last a druid. And they would have to use "the eye" to see.

"GIVE US BACK THE EYE! WE MUST HAVE IT!"

Or maybe they can send you on difficult missions/quests to craft something.

This would be kinda cool if you didn't want any casters in the party but non-casters could still have some access to them. Maybe create another different thing in crafting where they could imbue an item/weapon with a limited use spell, like a sword that can shoot a fireball once a day or any other spell. Good way to get rid of the squillions of gold lying around.

A whole new way to play the game!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  13. Rocktoy

Rocktoy Established Member

Good idea! I would definetly vote for merchants selling/crafting magic items. But rewards from quests could be some unique items, like the ones you get from Hickory Branch.

14. florian1

florian1 Established Member

An observation about crafting scrolls. I accidentally crafted some scrolls while my inventory was full. As a result, they showed up in the radial menu, were usable, did not appear when there were open inventory spots although remained on the radial menu, but when I crafted an additional scroll of the same type, I one one scroll of that type in my regular inventory, which when used left none to use, so the original 'radial menu only' scrolls disappeared. An exploit to increase your available inventory.

15. The Royal Canadian

Hi Florian
    Nice catch !! Actually there is an interesting variation that you can play on this. You can use the "invisible inventory" trick to "carry" multiple copies of the same scroll. For example: My wizard had a full inventory, but I had her scribe 3 scrolls of Stoneskin, and was able to use all three.
    The Royal Canadian

Our Host!