Ranger questions

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by pblack476, Oct 17, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. pblack476

pblack476 Established Member

I have 2:

1) What's the effective caster level for a ranger? Does it stack with other magic classes? (I read in dndtools.eu that it is half the ranger level after lvl 4 and it stacks with wizard levels, is that how it is implemented in ToEE?)

2) Does augument summoning affect animal companions?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  2. DercikPL

DercikPL Member

1)AFAIK ranger level stack (1/2 of it) with druid level of animal companion ability.
    About Effective Caster Level i don't think ranger stack with any of other spellcasting abilities.
    2)I don't think so. I think it only applies to spell-summoned animals

However this is theory.
    Because there are many things that aren't implented in toee engine when manual says smth different.
    I am sure that Ranger and Druid have separate tabs for their spells.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  3. pblack476

pblack476 Established Member

From the crafting tables you can find in the forum, I gathered that the effective caster level of a ranger is 1/2 of his ranger level, like regular PHB rules.

I gather this from the amulet of natural armor table. Which requires a caster level 9 to craft AoNA +3 and level 12 to craft AoNA +4 but the ranger can only craft the +3 version when he reaches lvl 18. And cannot craft +4 or +5 versions at all due to level cap.

I still would like to know if caster levels stack for crafting and spell damage purposes and augment summoning x animal companions effect.

4. short

short Member

I don't see anything that suggests stacking. I made a Ranger 4/Wizard 5 and they behaved like a 4th level ranger and 5th level wizard in terms of casting:

The ranger spell Longstrider had a duration of 1200 which suggests caster level 2 (2*600). A wizard fireball did 5d6 damage which is normal for a 5th level wizard. When scribing a fireball scroll it came out as 5th level. When scribing a Longstrider scroll it came out as level 1 (which is excepted from a 2nd level caster since scrolls always round down to the nearest odd number). He was unable to craft a +2 weapon which would require caster level 6. I gave him a druid level and it didn't seem to stack either. They both have Longstrider, but the durations did not suggest stacking in either direction.

Augment summoning doesn't seem to work for animal companions. I gave the ranger the feat and had him summon the wolf. Without the feat the wolf has 13 strength or +1 strength bonus, but with the feat he still has +1 strength bonus to hit/damage. The same happens for the attack dog. Just to make sure the feat actually works for summons I made him cast summon a wolf as a spell, and that worked correctly.

Our Host!