GoG Patched Version of ToEE Unable to Bring up The Console?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Equestrium, Oct 6, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. Equestrium

Equestrium Member

As the title explains, I'm unable to bring up the console. It's rather frustrating, but it's not the only problem I've had, and I'm assuming my actions are probably the cause of my own problems in the end, but I would like some clarification.

To start off, I need to open the console so I can make my rogue the same level as the rest of my party. I accidentally gave him the Kama proficiency because the association index told me that butterfly swords were halfling kamas, and made the foolish mistake of not looking directly above, where it specifically says that butterfly swords are in their own category. This was my only concern, and I became frustrated when the console ceased to open after 30 minutes of trying SHIFT + ~.

As of right now, I can only assume that my Front End X is having problems with my game, since I did try to download FE-X via the 8.1.0 New Content version, but I never got it to successfully download the FE-X, and thus I couldn't install the modpack. I managed to get the modpack working when I downloaded the FE-X separately, and I was able to load the modpack on just fine, but now I'm curious; could that be the source of my problems?

It is to my knowledge that GoG pre-patched ToEE, so I have no idea why I cannot open up the console. I have an HP Pavilion Laptop, and I've heard that Laptops are buggy with the console.

So in the end, my final question would be; what's the source of my problems? Is it my makeshift FE-X? Is it my confounded laptop; and is there a way to fix the laptop glitchiness with the console?

I have all of my daves back up, so feel free to ask me to start from scratch. I already unistalled and reinstalled ToEE. I want this whole annoying console problem to go away, so I'm only going to make actions that are the right ones, since I'm clearly doing something wrong.

2. short

short Member

Can you try to carefully follow the instructions given in http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7737 ? That should ensure a correct installation.

Are you using a US keyboard? Are you pressing SHIFT+"the button to the left of 1" when trying opening the console? Have you tried pressing SPACE after?

You can also upload the save and I'll edit the save game file for you if that's all you care about, but I think we should at least make sure that the game and modpack are installed correctly, otherwise you'll probably run into more problems eventually.

3. Equestrium

Equestrium Member

To my amazement, the FE-X downloaded correctly with the 8.1.0 modpack like it should have this time! I'm not sure what I was doing wrong before, but I would say it was possibly the problem I was having with my computer not registering that I had Java. I tried redownloading it for some time, always getting the new version and whatnot, but it never seemed to register. That is, until my friend gave me a 64 bit version.

Also, yes, I'm pressing SHIFT + ~. This is a QWERTY keyboard (US Standard and English Standard I think). I just tried opening up the console with no luck. Even tried space afterward. Nothing. I'm going to hold my head high in hope, but if it ultimately comes to it, I'll just restart. I may have just defeated the Earth Temple, but maybe that'll teach me to pick feats a little more intelligently.

EDIT: Do you think my save could have something to do with it since it was, to my knowledge, compiled on a version of FE-X different from what I'm now using? Could it be entirely possible that the saves I now have predetermine if they can pull up the console?

4. short

short Member

I'm out of ideas then, sorry. From what you've described I don't see anything wrong. The only other option I can think of is using a hex editor to change the feat.

I don't think your save is the problem. As far as I know, console is enabled for patch 2 of ToEE and it doesn't really have anything to do with the modpack. The GOG version is already patched, as you said. Anyway, you can easily test your theory by just starting a new game and attempt to bring up the console.

Do you even need to level him up with the console, though? Low level characters tend to catch up quickly since they get extra XP.

5. Equestrium

Equestrium Member

I think I'll just use a hex editor then. Totally forgot about that kind of thing! Do you know of a really good one? Also, thank you very much for the mention, and the help!

Also, I like to keep all my party members at the same XP level, as stupid as it sounds. I have OCD.

6. short

short Member

If you haven't used a hex editor before I don't know if you'll be successful. You can upload the save and I'll do it for you. If you still want to do it yourself then grab HexEdit, for example. I think the process was basically like this :)
    1. Find the feat numbers in feat.tab file, both the feat you have and the one you want.
    2. Convert them to hexadecimal, and for each of them switch the placement of the two bytes. For example 01 FA becomes FA 01. This is the number you want to find.
    3. Open the save file with extension .tfaf (make sure you have a backup) in a hex editor.
    4. From the end of the file, search backwards for the character name.
    5. From the character name, continue searching backwards for the hex value of the feat you have. Replace it with the hex value of the feat you want.
    6. Save the file and load it in ToEE. If you did it correctly your character should now have the correct feat. If you messed up then undo your change (important! you don't want to leave change values).

Example:
    I save my game to a save called "hex". I have a character with weapon focus (greatsword) and want to change it to greataxe. I open ToEE\data\rules\feat.tab and find 457 for greatsword and 455 for greataxe. Using google (or whatever) to convert this to hexadecimal I find 0x1C9 and 0x1C7, respectively. This means I will search for C9 01 with a hex editor, and I want to replace this with C7 01. In ToEE\modules\ToEE\Save I find the correct save file. Since I saved the file with the name "hex" I look for a file called slot<number>hex.gsi, for example slot0026hex.gsi in my case. I then open slot0026.tfaf with HexEdit and search backwards for my character name to find the last entry. From that point I continue searching backwards for the hex value C9 01, and change this to C7 01. I save the file and check my feats. This worked for me, but if it didn't I would undo the change and continue searching for the correct entry to change.

Just to be on the safe side, I should note that if you do something like this you shouldn't report bugs while playing this particular save. Everything has always worked fine for me, but you never know.

7. Equestrium

Equestrium Member

I did try for a bit, and I failed to change the feats many times. I apologize, for I'm not quite good with hex.

My character that I wish to change his feats is named Garret. I want the following things changed:

Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Kama) - 033 to Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Halfling Kama) - 029

Weapon Focus (Kama) - 471 to Weapon Focus (Halfling Kama) 467

I apologize for not giving you the hexadecimals, since I don't know the format in which they go when converted. Thank you so much for helping me! You're a great person!

EDIT: How do you want me to attach my save? It says that my .tfaf file is invalid and cannot be uploaded. :blank:

8. short

short Member

Yeah, it can be difficult if you've never done it before.

Google will spit out the hex values for you if you just google things like "033 in hex". Anyway, the hex values for those numbers are:
    33 = 0x21
    29 = 0x1D
    471 = 0x1D7
    467 = 0x1D3

To change exotic weapon prof from kama to halfling kama you must search for the hex value 21 00 and change it to 1D 00. To change the weapon focus from kama to halfling kama you must search for the hex value D7 01 and change it to D3 01. Now obviously you'll find those numbers everywhere in the file, so you need to find the ones that correspond to the feats. It sounds reasonable that a character's feats are stored close to the character name, right? So the natural thing to do is search for "Garret". What you'll find is that there are plenty of hits for "Garret" too, but most of them are the things your character has said during the game (which for some reason is stored in the save file). In my experience, the last hit of "Garret" in the file is the one that's close to your character's stats, which is why I recommend searching from the bottom of the file and backwards.

I attached two pictures for a specific example where I named my character "Warrior" and gave him the greatsword weapon focus feat. In the first picture I did a text search for Warrior. You'll see an area of mostly zeros above the name. If you see something similar you're probably in the right place.

Backwards from there (Direction: Up in HexEdit) I did a "Hex" search for C9 01. In my case, the first hit of C9 01 was the correct one, but it could also have been the second or third etc. Still, the feats seem to be roughly one page above the name.

No problem!

Any upload site, really.

Attached Files:

9. Equestrium

Equestrium Member

I think the one thing I'm not understanding is; how do you know which entry corresponds to which feat?

EDIT: Well holy shit, I did it! Thank you so much! I probably wouldn't have had the time to understand anyone else explaining that to me except you, since you explained it so well! Odd though, the feats were right next to one another.

10. short

short Member

Nice, good job!

Our Host!