Paladins,Clerics and Paladin/Clerics in ToEE x KotB

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by pblack476, Oct 19, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. pblack476

pblack476 Established Member

I'm running a Pally of Heironeous + Rogue/Cleric duo and I'm conflicted about the Pally's abilities. They get a little better against undead.

I hear that KotB has lots of undead. Is it true? I never played and I'm considering switching modules for a while to get the best use of this guy. Otherwise I might just multi him into a cleric and run with that.

2. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

So far, I have not seen significantly more undead in KotB than in TOEE. I play Paladins in TOEE after running them up to level 4 as a fighter first. Then pure paladin after that. OTOH, they always have a support team. I would not use a Paladin as a solo character or as a duo, that is just me. Do what interests you.

3. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Myself, I avoid multi classing in an adventure that the total level my character may reach is around 5 or 6.

4. XVicious

XVicious Established Member

@ sir chet,

thinking if you only reach level 5-6 , you must be doing evil tidings for the temple of elemental evil instead of making it a holy place?

if you want to be on the good side and kill everything that is evil in the TOEE then you reach level 9-10 by the time you defeat and kill the supreme commander of the greater temple.

everybody you have is level 10 or above by the time all of the Nodes are defeated and you get to the end of the game, to face off with Zuggmoy

if you go that route, I find killing the NODES very entertaining; granting the ability to
    Summon demons, and rule and control everything ;)

5. pblack476

pblack476 Established Member

Do you mean KotB? I didn't know that the max level normally achieved was this low.

Still, I only considered multiclassing if I was to play ToEE 8.1.0. I actually already decided and went with 5 levels of Paladin and the rest of cleric of heironeous on this adventure.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This adventure aside, I was tempted to see the Pally in its full glory. Specially the Holy Sword spell, wich I know kinda sucks since you can craft better swords, but it is an aswesome idea.

Power Attack + Smite Evil is fun and a good strategic element early on when you only have 1 or 2 to spend. On a full Paladin it can get you up to 40 extra damage. Around 30 if you don't want to lose any attack bonus. With great cleave it applies for every hit as well. So it is a nice little combo.

On the fighter/paladin subject:

The Full Paladin is, by lvl 20, just as strong as the Fighter4/paladin16 because the power it develops by lvl 20 is unique and cannot be mimicked or unquestionably surpassed with feats (180 Lay on Hands, 4 extra DMG in smite, one extra smite per day)

But the fighter/paladin is more fun to build up and it stronger for most of the way to get there. So it wins.

6. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I was most certainly referring to KotB when I said level 5 or 6. TOEE vanilla version will take you to 10 and of course the MODPACK doubles that.

7. Kharagh

Kharagh Established Member

I used a solo paladin 4-sorcerer 16 and she was very successful. Although you might want to modify tenser's transformation so that it doesn't feeblemind you and result in a huge loss of divine grace. (someone gave me specific instructions for that on this forum so you can search for Tenser's Transformation. I recommend replacing the feeblemind aspect of tenser's transformation with the rage spell - which also prevents casting but without the huge charisma penalty)

Our Host!