Are Crossbows Better Than Bows?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Equestrium, Oct 9, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. Kharagh

Kharagh Established Member

Spell penetration only helps against spell resistance. You don't face anyone with spell resistance early on, so wouldn't it be better to take those feats later (6th and 9th level)?

2. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

Why wait? And I usually take crafting feats later on as the items I tend to craft need high level casters...

3. pblack476

pblack476 Established Member

Every post I've read in this forum stated clearly that the feat and Keen effect did not stack. This just changes a *lot* of my building choices...

I mean... the scythe can actually become a what? 17-20 weapon? If the effect doubles the effective threat range then it would be 13-20 with feat/weapon + Keen edge. If it doubles only the original threat range then it would be 17-20.

Still... 17-20 x4 makes it terribly strong.

And longbows also...

4. short

short Member

I'm pretty sure it's 17-20, or 4 times the original threat range, if you use all 3 effects. When I tested the scimitar I predicted 9-20 and I didn't get any crits for 8 or lower.

I agree that the scythe looks cool.

5. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Wow! This may be a bit over powered.

6. pblack476

pblack476 Established Member

It certainly is...

Can you imagine a char dual wielding magic burst kukris or rapiers with this?

The weird thing is that I've read in several threads that those effects did NOT stack.

I do like it very much for longbows thou... 18-20 x3 without the spell is very nice and if you play a small party here the archer is more vulnerable, it's not actually overpowered IMO.

Our Host!