Circle of Eight Modpack v8 Final General Commentary & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Pygmy, Sep 16, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. Pygmy

Pygmy Established Member Supporter

Congratulations to everyone on the fantastic new graphics in 8.0.0 NC (which is all I've seen so far)

Are the portraits forward compatible or will we need to wait for new ones once Gaear has come back from his well deserved rest?

2. MiniMax

MiniMax Member

Re: Circle of Eight Modpack v8 / v8 NC General Commentary & Discussion Thread

Awesome stuff.

A big Kudos, and huge thanks to all involved in making Co8 8.0 happen.
    :thumbsup:

This release is so awesome I had to un-lurk and post. :)

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Re: portraits, you'll have to wait until we update the packs for v8. Should be soon.

@Everybody - this is not mandatory, but if you are one of those who suffered from launch/CTD problems in v7.9, I would strongly recommend that you start completely fresh with ToEE for v8 - uninstall the modpack, uninstall the game, reboot, reinstall the game, reinstall the mopdack. The reason being that whatever the problem was with 7.9, it had a 'legacy' effect as it were, where the effects would/could carry over into subsequent game launches even if the problem had been fixed. You want to flush your system of this for best results.

Regarding the 'fix' for the above-referenced problem in 7.9, all we ended up doing was fixing the bugged help.tab, which ended the issues entirely on mine and Ted's systems. Agetian never could reproduce the problems reliably, though like other users, he had differing manifestations of the launch failures. In the end it came down to us being unable to point the finger at anything in particular but the obviously broken help.tab - not the latest temple.dll, and not the reshack by AjiTae, and not TFE-X4 itself. We'll continue to monitor this and troubleshoot if problems persist, but we can't really fix anything without knowing what's wrong.

All that said, I have a feeling that for many if not most of you who suffered the issues, the fixed help.tab and a fresh reboot as described above may see the problems go away. :)

4. BenWH

BenWH BGPHughes

Thumbs up and congratulations on meeting the milestone!

5. Arthandas

Arthandas Witch Hunter

So is it true? No more patches or hotfixes? This is the last update from Co8 team?

Congratulations for reaching the end of your patching journey :)

6. Gaear

There will doubtless be patches, but this should be the last formal major release. Any larger releases down the line will be bugfixes and fleshing out existing stuff.

7. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

The final version will be 8.8. There is no alternative ;)

8. Werewood

Werewood Member

IO Exception: Invalid CEN Header

Glad it's released, but its not working for me.

Started with fresh install of GoG's Temple of Elemental Evil.
    Installed Modpack to same folder. but when I try to activate the modpack, I get an error, and TFE X shuts down.

I thought i had followed the installation instruction correctly. I have already tried restarting my PC.

TFE-X.log

9. Gaear

I think GoG's default directory is in Program Files, which is not a good place for Windows 7 systems, as they may deny access permissions there necessary for TFE-X to function properly. Do you have the game installed there?

10. Werewood

Werewood Member

Nope.

GoG installer defaulted it to "C:\GoG Games\Temple of Elemental Evil"

Tried uninstalling Circle of Eight...then unblocked/run as admin before reinstall....same results.

Oh, and Windows 7 x64, just an FYI

Additional info: Avast sandboxes the uninstaller file, and well as the tmp it runs, but has no qualms with the original installer. Doubt its related, but there you go.

Edit: Trying something. Someone who was programming with Java obtained the same error. Research shows that zip 64 (part of the error message in the log file) support is not backported to Java 6. Updating to Java 7 to see if it solves the issue.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  11. Zalmoxes

Zalmoxes Forest Guardian

HEEELP! Cannot launch the installation. Downloaded the Toee v8. Try to launch it, I have the message " You do not have permission to access path, file, etc.. etc.. etc..." It's been an hour now. To mention that this is the FIRST TIME EVER i have problems installing... :sadblinky I have installed ALL the Mods bar v7.9. Windows Vista, Kaspersky ( I HATE IT, BTW, blokes pretty much everything but the real bad ware.... ) Could Kaspersky be the problem? However, never had problems with previous mods?! Thanks for any suggestion.
    Soooooo eager to try it....

12. Werewood

Werewood Member

AHAHAHA!

<SOLVED!>
    Issue: "SEVERE: IO Exception when determining the size of package: invalid CEN header (bad signature)" on Co8 activation.
    Solution: Update Java to latest version. (in this instance Java 7 Update 40)

I have no idea how I managed to solve that. I just went on some random stray words that connected to other random words. WEEEEEE! heh

13. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I believe the release notes say that the front end loader has been migrated over to the latest Java and is not compatible with version 6.

I had the same problem and the answer was given in another thread, (search feature is your friend).

Also, the random ctd's I was experiencing before have not appeared in this version ... YAY!!!!

But the big question here is .... Who is the voice talent for the intro slides?

14. Gaear

You're saying you can't launch the installer?

15. Gaear

Our Host!