Larreth's proving grounds...

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Ovidius, Dec 22, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. Ovidius

Ovidius Member

So I've done some searching in the forum... but haven't found anything about this.

I bluffed my way in to see Larreth in the moathouse and he called me weak and sickly and said I needed to prove myself worthy of joining them.

I agreed to go with the 'master' and he joined my group. I thought he would take me to the tower at the temple but instead he took me to the ogre caves that are empty as I have not been to speak with Alrrem of the fire temple about getting the ogres to join his faction.

Anyway he just stands there and there isn't any more dialogue whether or go in the empty cave or stand outside it.

I'm using modpack 8.0. Sorry if this is covered elsewhere... as I stated I did some searching but didn't find anything about the 'Beautiful' one taking your party to the ogre caves.

Also, to upgrade to the 8.1 modpack do I just download and run it?

You guys have done some great work with the changes you've made and wanted to say thanks for the effort.

2. chano

chano Established Member

I believe you have a bug.
    He will take you or you him to the guard tower.
    At least that's what happens when i bring him along

3. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

It's indeed a bug in 8.0 that was fixed in 8.1.

Installing 8.1 is done the same way as 8.0 - it'll appear on the list of modules in the front end and will need to be activated.

Unfortunately, your saves will be incompatible, requiring a start-over. It's for the best if you're not too far in, especially if you're playing the NC version. 8.1 has a number of other fixes, and new features as well.

Thanks for the appreciation, have fun!

4. Ovidius

Ovidius Member

Starting over isn't a problem.
    I'll download 8.1 and the bug fixes from the 8.1 bug thread and get rolling again.

Thanks for the assist.

5. Ovidius

Ovidius Member

Well got a new problem now...

Get a "Toee has stopped working" when I try to play 8.1.

It happens right when the blue loading bar gets to "loading protos (clearing old)..."

And that is as far as it gets.

Not sure why this is. I did a search and didn't find anything that helped.

I'm guessing it has to do with something in 8.1 because I can run 8.0 and Vanilla Toee just fine when I reactivate them using ToEE Front-End X.

Any help would be appreciated. If not I'll stick with 8.0 for now. Thanks.

6. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

That sort of thing is unfortunately very erratic, particularly on Win7 (possibly 8 too). Sometimes it's solved by reactivating the module, or reinstalling the game, or even creating a copy of the entire folder and running from there (did it for me once, strange as it sounds). I'd at least try the latter.

7. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Or toggle movies on/off (whichever it isn't atm) in the front end. The launching process for 8.0. and 8.1 (and indeed pretty much every modpack) should be functionally identical.

8. Ovidius

Ovidius Member

Thanks Sitra and Gaear...

Just to let you know I've disabled and enabled the intro movies. I've reactivated and tried to run it on various resolutions, windowed, etc.

Still get the "toee has stopped working" message.

I'm running it on a laptop that is a few years old... It is Windows 7 and like I said, I can run 8.0 and vanilla no problem no matter what resolution or with the movies disabled/enabled.

I'll try copying the complete folder and running it from there but if it doesn't work, like I said I'll keep playing 8.0. The game and all the changes you guys did are still great even if it isn't on the latest version.

Quick question... is there anything I need to know about using the copied files for the front end? Do I just copy the files and then re-name the original and the front end will know?

Thanks.

9. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Is your video card set to "No Scaling", if it's a high end nVidia card try setting up a profile just for TOEE in the nVidia control panel.

I would bet a dollar to a donut that it's crashing as the intro video is first trying to run.

Have you had a chance to read the troubleshooting guide located in the "Everything you need to know about the Modpack" thread?

10. Ovidius

Ovidius Member

I think you'd lose that dollar or the doughnut

I run version 8.0 and vanilla ToEE from the TFX-Front End no problem at all. Windowed, various resolutions and with the movies enabled or disabled.

Maybe I'm just ignorant but if the intro video runs fine in vanilla or in 8.0, shouldn't it run fine in 8.1?

Thanks

11. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

On my Win7 pc I have to disable scaling or it crashes when it try's to run the Bink video player for the intro movie, if I disable the intro movie I usually hangs up at the selection menu.

What's funny is I had more problems with the 8.0 version and none as yet with the 8.1.

I think this really shows us just how differently the engine works with different set ups.

So, you're saying I should probably send over a doughnut. :p

12. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I'm quite sure the issue is not some difference between 8.0 and 8.1 (because again there is no difference in the launch or basics, just some scripts etc.), but simply the fact that it's a different module. It could just as easily have turned out that 8.1 worked for you but 8.0 wouldn't if you tried them in that order. ToEE is downright mystical that way.

One vague possibility is that your version of 8.1 is corrupted in some way. I really doubt that's it, but if you're determined, you could try redownloading and reinstalling/reactivating it.

Our Host!