Hezrou guardian = game crash

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Zoroastre, Nov 28, 2015.

Remove all ads!
  1. Zoroastre

Zoroastre Member

Hello, I'm blocked at the hezrou guardian in water node; game crashes everytime at his first combat action, I've tried 8 times, same thing...

I've searched the forum and didn't find anything on this.

thx,
    JP

2. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

A few questions if you don't mind to help establish what might be wrong:
    1-What is your party size and do you have any summoned creatures involved in the combat?
    2-Have you done any of the other nodes?
    3- Are you using Scather or Fragarach?
    4- Have you used any console commands?
    5- Are you using any other game mods with the 8.1 modpack?

3. Zoroastre

Zoroastre Member

thx Gehennis,

1- I have a party of 5, a summoned mordenkeinen hound ( I don't know how to dismiss it) and 1 henchmen (Taki)
    2- Yes I've cleared the air node, and did a little detour in the fire node
    3- I'm not using Fragarach nor Scather
    4- I don't remember using any console commands
    5- As far as I remember I only have 8.1 modpack, how can I check?

4. Zoroastre

Zoroastre Member

Ok got rid of the hound and game still crashes...

5. Gehennis

Are you playing with a ranger or druid? I know from experience that if they enter the nodes with animal companions that it might crash the game. Have you checked to see if you have any lingering spell effects on you? It's a long shot but a visit to Jaroo could fix that. Also, have you made any changes to your PC like adding new hardware or programs (again, just trying to eliminate any probable causes, however unlikely...)? Are you casting any type of spells before starting combat - that could be a possible issue as well...

6. Zoroastre

Zoroastre Member

no druids nor rangers, I've tried dismissing my wizard's familiar to no avail.

I've tried reinstalling the game, nothing changed

One of my char has a "spell object" in his inventory, have no idea where that comes from...

My characters have some spells on them like endure elements etc... that last very long, I'll try gettng rid of them.

7. Gehennis

The 'spell object' thing is a placeholder in the game for an actual object, which means that during a random or set encounter something glitched when you went to either examine or pick up something. This is what could be the problem- do you have any saves prior to the one you're using where the spell item isn't in that character's inventory?

8. Zoroastre

Zoroastre Member

Thanks for your help Gehennis, for whatever reason all my save games are now corrupted, I'm supremely pissed off...

I tried going around the problem, game started crashing very often (it was quite stable until then), then saves started being corrupted, tried to restore my saves... all appear corrupted.

thanks anyway.

9. Goshi3156

Goshi3156 Dire Badger

The problem you're having seems to be the same one I reported a long time ago:

10. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Often when you have a spell object in your inventory it is there to facilitate some kind of status change on your char, if it didn't remove itself when you recovered then you may have a corrupt game file which would be persistent with that save game.

I recommend re-activating the module from the front end with the button in the lower left corner labeled "re-activate" and then attempt the fight again with a save from before the problem arose.

11. Gehennis

He did say that all of his saves for that game were corrupt- in essence, he'll have to start that particular party all over from level 1...

12. sirchet

Being that all his saves appear corrupted leads me to believe it might actually be a module file that is bad, re-activating the module will replace any partial or corrupted files in the module and often result in the saves being saved.

I did read the previous posts, but thanks for the heads up G.

13. Gehennis

I was unaware that reactivating the module could restore your files-thanks for letting me know...:thumbsup:

14. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

News to me too, thanks Sir Chet. :)

@ Zoroastre; Save corruption has been a 'feature' of ToEE as long as it's been around but if the Stench is to blame, we might be able to fix it. I'll take a look.

15. sirchet

Ted, re-activating the module merely re-extracts the files from the compressed module, right? As long as the zipped files are good then the re-installed module should be good, in my opinion of course. ;)

Our Host!