Spells at higher levels

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by chevanton19, Nov 4, 2015.

Remove all ads!
  1. chevanton19

chevanton19 Member

Hello guys, first time posting for me!

First of all, i would like to thank yoou all modders for this jewel!I'm just loving it!

Ok so, to the point.

In my party i have a wizard and a sorcerer. Wiz is now lev 12, and at level 11 she got 6th level spells as expected.
    According to d&d rules my sorcerer should get 6th level spells at 12, but instead the UI prompt me to choose 5 level 1 spells, and that's all. So no 6th level spells for her!

What's going on? Maybe i'm missing something very clear, in that case i'm sorry but i would enojy some help on this.
    Thanks

2. chano

chano Established Member

If your Charisma is lower than 16 then you will not be able to cast level 6 spells and above
    Charisma 10+spell level.

3. chevanton19

chevanton19 Member

Thank you chano for your quick answer, really appreciate.

But my point is not about stats, my sorcerer has 20 (18 base, +1 lev 4, +2 lev 8) charisma buffed to 26 with the crafted back, i'm a D&D player also so i'm quite used about the system.
    That's why i'm really surprised about this!

You guys are able to cast 6th level spells with sorcerer? I'm playing with 8.1 version of the mod pack, if this may help!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  4. Nightcanon

Nightcanon Garrulous Halfling

It's a while since I played (and even longer since I played a sorc), but my recollection with wizards is that you get 2 new spells per level and put them where you like (so if you really want, you can learn 2 new cantrips to celebrate reaching 9th level, or whatever). Is it possible that you are 'using up' your new spells known slots on first level spells because you are being presented with the first level spells first? i.e. you think you can learn your first level spells then move on to the second level, etc, when in fact you can only learn a limited number of new spells from any level.
    A second possibility occurs: in the level-up interface, if I recall correctly, new slots that are mandated by the original game engine (i.e. up to 10th level PCs and 5th level spells) have boxes round them and can be filled by right clicking on the spell, so if you right-click on Fireball and have and are able to learn another spell (or for a wizard memorising Fireball from your spellbook and you have a 3rd level daily slot free), Fireball shuffles across and automatically fills the box. I think sometimes 6th level and above slots aren't 'boxed in', nor does right-clicking an appropriate spell fill the slot. Again, I can't remember how this works for Sorcs I'm afraid.
    My advice: go back to the level-up screen, scroll down the list of available spells to find the 6ths you want as the first order of business, scroll down your 'spells known' list on the left to the 6th level heading, and drag'n'drop your desired spells into the space where the boxes should be.
    As I say, I can't remember playing a sorc in NC, nor can I see how if you have a wizard who already has 6ths that you have not come across the drag/drop rather than right click issue already (unless you rarely swap spell selections, and have forgotten), so sorry if this seems like teaching granny to suck eggs...

5. chevanton19

chevanton19 Member

Thanks to you too Nightcanon. :)

Now i'm at work so i can't check with precision what do you suggest to do.

Anyway, when i levelled my wizard to 11th she got 2 new spells, to learn. I've picked one 2nd level spell and one 6th level spell. And everything is ok for that.

Yesterday my sorc, reached lev 12, but in the right side of the UI, where i was used to pick (or better, where i drop spells dragged from the left side) new spells (of various level) i just have 5 slots for level 1. On the left side, where the new "spells to learn" selection is made level 6 and above lists are not expandable, so i can't pick any of them even if their proper slots would be at their place on the right. (but they aren't).

Maybe, due to game engine limitation, it's not possibile to get for the sorcerer spells that are above 5th level, which is the limit imposed by vanilla version.
    It's seems quite weird to me, since for the wizard things are working fine till now, but in the end progression for those classes, spells wise speaking, is quite different. And this may eventually lead to different behaviours when levelling up above 10th.

6. chevanton19

chevanton19 Member

Ok guys problem solved.

Just came back home from work, turned on my pc and loaded a game where my sorcerer was just levelled, and now everything is fine. I can select 1 6th level spell as normal.

Really don't know what's difference today from yesterday, same saved game (which i reloaded lot of times yesterday), same actions...different result!

7. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Did you turn your PC off over night?

The game might of been holding corrupt data in its cache.

8. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

Just wondering- where you in Nulb or Hommlett? Asking because there appears to be an issue in Nulb when doing certain magical things like crafting for example...

9. chevanton19

chevanton19 Member

@sirchet
    well my PC often stays up day and night, so some data corruption could be occurred :)

@Gehennis
    i was inside the earth elemental node, just before the battle with the balor

Our Host!