Neverwinter Nights 2 module ToEE

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Kshahdoo, Sep 7, 2015.

Remove all ads!
  1. Kshahdoo

Kshahdoo Member

2. pumpprodigy

pumpprodigy Member

How is it? I own NWN2 and may check it out if its worth it.

3. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

There are many excellent adventures made for NWN2, even Baldurs Gate has been done, check the Nexus.

4. argikt

argikt Member

5. sirchet

I was involved in the early release program and I have to say that Sword Coast Legends certainly does not live up to the hype, or imho even come close to it.

I'm really hoping the actual release version is much more defined, but what I saw in the early version was a stream lined click until you win type of game.

What was presented as DnD was actually a tablet game with a small amount of DnD flavor. It makes 4 Ed DnD look complicated, yet it is supposed to be a 5 Ed game.

In short; Not DnD even though it has the WotC label.

6. argikt

argikt Member

I'm sad to read it... I pre-ordered the game...
    today they annunced a new delay until 10/20... I'll give a change. Becaouse I like to make my own modules, and NWN is really old

7. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Several months into the game now...

I find it very entertaining. If you liked Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, or games of that ilk - then this is definitely for you. I think it was very much made by fans of those titles for a new generation. I cannot speak to the 5.0 rules that much (being a non-expert) but I can say that it follows the rules of D&D "ish"...just like every other game I can think of. It's a simulation of D&D for the computer. Those who want the real D&D experience should play table top, as this isn't it. ToEE is much more relevant from a turn-based stand point of gameplay. I always hated pushing pause to simulate turns, and imho, that's the only real drawback of SCL.

It's worth a play for sure, and if you are any kind of collector, then it's a must have. If you are a rules purist, then you might not like it too much. But I am enjoying it for what it's worth.

8. Oleg Ben Loleg

Oleg Ben Loleg Established Member Supporter

Thanks for the advise Lord Spike. Looks quite good on You Tube. Only thing that I really do not like is that it is Steam based. Maybe outdated but I never have the notion of really owning a game by buying only an access to a game.
    By the wy I can neither use one of your links.

9. sirchet

When your wizard doesn't need to memorize spells and there is no such thing as a sorcerer, you can Rez a fallen companion instantly, (no such thing as death), goblins with hundreds of hp, Rangers that can't dual wield and no rest system because you magically heal up after battle so fast it would make a troll feel inadequate ... makes this game something much different than DnD or Baldurs Gate.

BG 1 and 2 did their best to adhere to the DnD rule set of that time, but this game just thumbs its nose at it.

10. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I hate Steam, but you all know that.
    Can someone who has played tell me what all this means?

11. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

Looks like D&D via skype or some equivalent. Very interesting.

12. Oleg Ben Loleg

Oleg Ben Loleg Established Member Supporter

Ok, thanks for the info, and for saving me 31 bucks. That's it for me with that game.

13. sirchet

It means that you can choose from a list of pregenerated areas that you can string together and create a dungeon crawl that you can be the DM of when you play on line.

This is similar to what NWN2 offered, but with scl your control and choices as DM are very limited. The developers stated that they are working on offering more options for a DM, but only time will tell.

I have a problem getting past the statement the lead developer made of "I wanted to make a game my eight year old could DM", this statement may explain why so many features have been stream lined, or simply left out.

SCL is a somewhat fun hack and slash click fest, (if that's what you like) but the only thing it has in common with DnD is WotC owns it.

14. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Thanks Sirchet, saved us all a few bucks by the sounds of it :thumbsup:

Our Host!