Unable to patch TOEE

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by chrysop, Mar 14, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. chrysop

chrysop Member

Hello,

I've just stumbled on the great work the Cricle has done for TOEE and it wet my appetite for playing the game again! I've downloaded the mod and the game patches, unfortunately, though, I can't run the patches!

I have the jewel case version of the game (how do I know if it is already pre-patched? when I run it I didn't get any version / patch number). My problem is that when I try to install the patches (either one of them) I get the message "Invalid patch file".

I'm running Windows XP SP2 in case it's relevant.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Marios

2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Welcome to the forum chrysop.

Inside your Atari/TOEE folder look at the .exe file and tell us how big it is.

Also, reading this post is always a good place to start when having trouble, Click Here for the Co8 ModPack Explained.

You will need to scroll down to the troubleshooting check list.

3. chrysop

chrysop Member

Hi,

the toee.exe file is 33.792 bytes long and TFE-X.exe is 161.280 bytes long. I've already checked the Co8 Mod Explained post but there's no mention of my problem.

Just in case it matters, when I failed to run either of the patches, I tried to run to mod file, thinking that maybe my game was pre-patched and that was the reason for the "Invalid patch file" message. Didn't work either, although I don't remember the exact error I got.

Marios

4. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

TOEE.exe is 33 KB? That suggests you d/l'd and installed the no-cd executable, which is ok, but I would suggest the patches should have come before the no-cd. I could very easily see the official Atari patches refusing to install if TOEE.exe isn't the official version it is supposed to be. When I install the game, I have to use the no-cd to make it run, and I have always installed the no-cd last, even after installing the Co8 mod.

Another possibility I can think of is that you may have US patches but a European game version, or vice versa. Where did you d/l the patches from?

5. chrysop

chrysop Member

Hi,

I don't have a no-cd version of the game, actually I need to have the game's 2nd cd in my DVD in order for the game to run. The box writes on the front side a "BEST OF ATARI" logo in a red font and below this there's the D&D logo and the "THE TEMPLE OF ELEMENTAL EVIL A CLASSIC GRWYHAWK ADVENTURE" titles.

It's quite possible that I have a European version of the game as I live in Greece, but I can't remember how / where did I buy the game... Hmmmm... I've just read some small letters in the outer edge of the CD and it writes "Published and Marketed by ATARI Europe S.A."

The patches were downloaded by sorcerers.net as suggested in the "Co8 ModPack explained" post.

6. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

The following are all of the official Atari patches for the computer game The Temple of Elemental Evil from the computer game's official website:

ftp://ftp.infogrames.net/patches/toee/

The "US" patches work fine with my Australian-bought legitimate game CDs. Australia always gets the European version of games (instead of the US versions), so if there was a different European version of the game, then I would have that version of the game as well.

The fact that there are no alternative patches means that either there aren't different versions of the computer game, or it means that the offical Atari patches work with any version of the computer game. Those official Atari patch 1 and official Atari patch 2 executable files should work with your copy of the game.

The fact that your toee.exe file is only 33 KB in size means that you have the no-CD crack version of the executable (the normal original toee.exe file is larger in size).

I suggest that you do the following:

Uninstall your game. Delete the folder that you had installed the game to (if it is still there after you've uninstalled the game).

If you are using Windows XP, then make sure that Microsoft .NET Framework is installed on your computer. If it isn't, then install any version of it that you wish, just so long as it is version 2.0 or later.

Reinstall the game. If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, then choose C:\games\ToEE as the path to install the game to because Windows Vista and Windows 7 can have problems with paths that have spaces in them (when trying to play this game) and they can have problems with being able to access or write over files that are in the Program Files folder. Windows Vista or Windows 7 may even delete the temple.dll file if the game is installed in the Program Files folder

Apply the official Atari patch 1.

Apply the official Atari patch 2.

If you have anti-virus software installed on your computer, then either:
    1. exclude your Temple of Elemental Evil folder (if that isn't possible, then make an exception for the toee.exe executable file) in your anti-virus software's real-time scanning.
    2. temporarily deactivate your anti-virus software.
    3. uninstall your anti-virus software.
    The reason for this is because anti-virus software may detect toee.exe as being malware but in actual fact it is not (it is a false positive). Some anti-virus software will automatically quarantine or delete the toee.exe file, thus preventing the Circle of Eight Modpack from being able to run.

Install the Circle of Eight Modpack. The Circle of Eight Modpack automatically uses the 33 KB no-CD crack version of the toee.exe file. This means that you don't need the game CD in your CD drive in order to play the game once you have installed the Circle of Eight Modpack. Run TFE-X. Activate the Circle of Eight Modpack module (DO NOT interrupt the process (by doing anything else on your computer) until it has told you that the activation is complete!). Some others have reported that it took all night (they left their computer running overnight) to activate the Circle of Eight Modpack module. It always takes only 3 or 4 minutes to activate a module on my computer.

Your game should be working now. If you still can't get the Circle of Eight Modpack to work, then I recommend that you buy the computer game The Temple of Elemental Evil from Good Old Games (GOG) for only $6. The GOG version of the game is pre-patched with all of the official Atari patches (up to and including patch 3). The GOG version of the game uses a no-CD crack. Then it is just a simple matter of installing the Circle of Eight Modpack after you've installed the GOG version of the game. The GOG version of the game is available at the following link:

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/the_temple_of_elemental_evil

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  7. chrysop

chrysop Member

Hello!

At first let me thank you for the quite lengthy and detailed response! I'd suggest, if some moderator is reading this, that it gets stickied or, maybe, added to the Co8 Mod Explained post.

Unfortunately, it proved to be utterly unrelated to my problem! Fortunately, though, I roooted out the reason of my distress and everything is ok now!

Furthermore, I should add that I really own a jewel case version of TOEE. The confusion arose because initially, when the patches failed to load, I thought that maybe my game was pre-patched, so I run the mod file (as described in my second post) and failed at that as well. Unfortunately, even though the mod file didn't work, it did replace the original TOEE file to the no-cd version one, as you note in your message and then I, not realising this replacement, erroneously reported that my TOEE file is 33 kb long.

What really amazed me was the utter foolishness of the reason for which the patches failed to load. It seems that you have to run the patch files from the "C:\Program Files\Atari\Temple of Elemental Evil" folder (or wherever you've installed the game) or else you get an "Invalid Patch file" message. That was a first for me... was it really so obvious for all of you people? I've never had something like that in the past, programs were always able to locate or at least ask me for the proper folder to install to...*sigh*

Might I suggest that this gets stickied as well?

Anyway, all seem well now, the mod ias activated and I'm off to meet my destiny against a temple whose master's name I do not dare to pronounce!

Marios

8. pumpprodigy

pumpprodigy Member

Greetings CoE, I see the last post here was ages ago, but I just decided to re install TOEE and I ran into a new issue ive never seen before. I am wondering if anyone is still active to maybe aid me in finding out what in the world happened

9. pumpprodigy

pumpprodigy Member

Ok it crashed again, so here is the details.
    The error that pops up is
    ToEE Front-End X encountered a serious error.
    IO Exception when installing a package toee.exe(Access is denied)

The program is unable to continue and will now close.

I have attached the log file it requested me to do so to this post. I had to rename the file type to .txt so it would accept it too.

Update
    I downloaded the standard modpack and not the new content one and it installed just fine. However, After I got into town, no matter what building I enter the game crashes.
    Anyone have any experience with this issue?

Final Update
    I started a new game and the game no longer crashed. I am not sure why it did it in the first place, but its not doing it now.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  10. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Try putting the game in any directory except program files, just go to c drive and right click and make a new folder then name it games. Then you can drag the entire installation into that folder.

Always run as admin and it is a really good idea to read the installation instructions and the "Everything you could want to know about the Modpack thread".

11. pumpprodigy

pumpprodigy Member

Ya I did. Sadly moving the directory did not help, nor did running it as Admin.

What I ended up doing was deleting the whole TOEE game, and pulling a copy of it from my external again. I was shocked to find that the TOEE game was several gigs in size, meaning the mod pack was unpacking, and not deleting the data upon an error or anything like that.

After using the standard CoE mod pack, there where no installation issues, meaning that there is a conflict for whatever reason with the updated content one.

The second line of crashing I am not sure about since it stopped as soon as I made a new game. Nothing new to this game tho :3

I am just happy that this extra content is here and I get to enjoy the game again.

Thanks for the reply tho ^^

Our Host!