I am new to ToEE and have a few questions...

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Stormvessel, Jul 29, 2015.

Remove all ads!
  1. Stormvessel

Stormvessel Member

Loving the game, loving the mod (8.1), just overall really liking it.

I went with a fighter, barbarian, cleric, rogue, wizard and sorcerer.

Here are the main things I am wondering about:

My party is chaotic evil (mwuhahaha) and I want to kill everyone in homlett eventually but I'm worried there might be plot critical NPCs. Could I kill future progress in the game by killing everyone in Homlett?

Also, is there a time limit to the game? I haven't even cleared out the moathouse yet (though I cleared some of it before it got too difficult), so I am clearing Emridy Meadows but I had to go back to town to rest up several times. I'm already on Day 18 and haven't visited the bandits yet!

Also, my barbarian, Yakk, has 20str, 18dex, 16con(figured that was plenty because of barb hd and max lvlrolls), but only has 7 int and 9 cha. Will a -2 to intelligence affect his late game ability?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  2. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

There is an adventure once you get past Zutgtomoy(?) and finish the temple that you can pick up in Verbobonnac(?) that involves Hommlett so you might want to hold off on that (besides, Jaroo and Terjon were both plenty tough in 8.0- no doubt they'd be the same in 8.1). There's no time limit so take as long as needed to finish and there are some skill checks and saves against magic that Yakk might fail (and he'll also get fewer skill points when gaining a level) but aside from that there shouldn't be any problems...

3. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

I've never wiped Hommlet, but I know there is a very large epic scenario near the end of the new content that requires interaction in Hommlet. I can't say for sure if that will be missed should they all be dead.

Intelligence and Charisma are pretty inconsequential for a basher type, as long as others in the group have the skills to do do all the non-combat tasks. The only thing I can think of that you may need 13 intelligence for is the Combat Expertise feat and one other feat I forget which.

Wisdom, however, is something you should boost whenever possible (and Iron Will is a very good feat to take), as many mind-controlling spells like Charm Person, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, and Hold Person will require a Will Saving Throw.

4. Stormvessel

Stormvessel Member

Wow. Thanks guys. What I will do is spare Hommlet just in case. I will have plenty of oppurtunity to be a dirtbag in other ways. Good to know I can rest up and take my time.

Yakk has 13 wisdom. My first two point increases will go to strength but if I get a third I will put it on wisdom for the extra save.

Thanks again guys!

Edit: I sure do have to reload a lot. I can't imagine playing Ironman. That Hill Giant in Emirdy Meadows is impossible for me to beat.

5. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Yeah he is tough for a party that's still new to adventuring, if only you could maybe find a scroll of ray of enfeeblement. Also, I wonder how good his traction is barefoot, (it would be funny to see him fall when trying to walk across some GREASE).

Hmmmm, I wonder if anyone in your party can speak bear, (CHARM ANIMAL) and convince his pet to turn on him?

Stormvessel likes this.
  6. marc1967

Well, there as many ways to approach that encounter as there are players of the game, and each one is as valid as the next if it works. I'll give you some general tips, without spelling out an exact strategy:

1) Buff up as much as you can. (strength, con, AC, bless, etc.)

2) Don't just charge in and start hacking away.

3) Find a way to take care of the bear separately, and then the giant next. Divide and Conquer. (hint: a bard can easily fascinate the giant until the bear is finished off)

4) Keep away from the bears 3-attacks/round by using 5-foot step after your guy makes an attack.

5) Avoid letting the giant get 2 attacks on anyone. This is hard because if you attack, you can't just 5-foot step away like with the bear, since the giant's reach is 10 feet. So use ranged weapons and magic, only approach if you think you can finish him off before his next attack.

6) Hire some of those guys at the Inn for cannon fodder. :(

7) Try to take him out with one spell; not necessarily kill, but disable him. There are countless options, most magical. (Tasha's Laughter will end the encounter)

7. Stormvessel

Stormvessel Member

Wow, thanks guys! I actually had my sorceress read several scrolls and two happened to be ray of enfeeblement and the other charm animal. I gave one to my wizard but for some reason when I try to cast the scrolls nothing happens. I keep clicking on the giant (I can see the cursor is changed like it should when magic or a scroll is selected) yet for some reason it doesn't go through. I press the mouse in vain. Then I right click to make everything disappear and try it again. Right click, go to scrolls - cast ray of enfeeblement, cursor changes, I hover over the giant and press the mouse button - nothing. And the cursor is still showing as if it's ready to cast.

8. marc1967

You're probably out of range, and unfortunately there is no indicator that floats a message saying "target is out of range", so you just have to take the dead click as that message. The range for Ray of Enfeeblement is "close" (25 feet + 5 feet/level). Assuming you are level 3 or 4, you'll need to be within 40 feet to cast it on him.

As for the scroll of Charm Animal, your wiz or sorcerer won't be able to cast it unless you have the Use Magic Device feat because it's a druid or ranger spell. :paper:...... :(

9. Goshi3156

Goshi3156 Dire Badger

You're a horrible monster and if I could I would have my righteous Lawful Good party smite you were you stand for such evil thoughts!

Anyway, as mentioned if you're playing the NC version of the game, there is a scenario late game that requires Hommlet to remain standing. So I wouldn't kill them until then. Terjon in particular IIRC is still super buffed from his PnP counterpart, so making him an enemy early on isn't the wisest course.

The only part in the game that makes uses of time is Hickory Branch and the War of the Golden Skull IIRC. Time otherwise doesn't really affect at all that bunch. Some enemies and NPCs have routines based on the time of day, but there's no strict limit you really need to abide by. Take all the time you need to prep yourself for any challenges ahead of you.

Barbarians won't really need INT at all. INT affects skill points but the only skill a Barb needs is Tumble anyway. CHA is even less useful, unless you want your Barb to be the party's distinguished diplomat, but that is way batter handled by your Sorcerer or Rogue.

You'll probably need a Druid to able to reliably beat him at low levels. Entangle and Charm Animal pretty much win the fight for you. Its still doable though, though it heavily relies on magic. I'm only going to parrot what has already been said, but the last thing is, don't feel too compelled to kill them. They're not necessary to advance and can be killed much later. At level 4 - 5 this battle is a lot more manageable.

Charm Animal is a Druid/Ranger spell so you'll need the Use Magic Device skill.

10. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

Wouldn't also be funny if the grass and weeds in the meadow were to grab and entangle him?

11. Stormvessel

Stormvessel Member

Ah, I feel stupid now. Thank you so much for clearing that up.

Thanks so much for that reply. It really cleared a lot up for me. I really appreciate you taking the time to do that. It makes me feel so much better about the game. I am loving it and now I can love it even more.

And thank you to every person who took the time to answer my questions. I really appreciate every one of you guys.

What a great and helpful community.

12. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

As far as the spells needed to take out the hill giant your rogue could do the job if you increase their Use Magic Device skill- I never have my spell casters take this as it is somewhat redundant but my rogues provide supplemental spell casting by using any wands or scrolls that I don't want to have my magic users use. And if someone is threatening your CE party, my CE party would be more than happy to jump in and help you. Of course, that would mean that MY LG party would feel honor bound to intercede as well- sounds like the grounds for a War of some kind...;)

13. Stormvessel

Stormvessel Member

Sounds cool Gehennis. We should do it sometime. I didn't think the game had multiplayer but I play. I have a teamspeak server and I play all the classics. Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, Icewind Dale, etc. Friend me on GoG. Darkul81.

I can play anytime. That goes for anyone here. I also play on Roll20. If anyone wants to start a campaign just let me know. I do AD&D 1 and 2 and Pathfinder also.

Our Host!