Ntdll.dll error and sector initialization crashes

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by vendur, Jul 18, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. vendur

vendur Member

Well i have a weird problem. TOEE crashed on me today and i have been running the game with the Co8 mod installed previously for months.

I was playing it yesterday and I had a problem with the game crashing on the lower levels of the temple when any one of my characters would die. Other than that I had seen no problems with crashing with the mod which had been working for months prior.

Today it did that same crash again, and i went to load the game up and got a blue screen of death. I rebooted and the first 4-5 times i tried running ToEE I got a crash around where the game starts talking about loading sectors or initializing sectors in the open loading bar screen. I rebooted again this time disabling my anti virus for the heck of it and was then getting a ntdll.dll error. Now I get this error every time during the loading screen. It seems very odd to simply just stop working like that. literally nothing changed between it working and not working all of a sudden except maybe a handful of internet cookies on the computer from the internet.

2. vendur

vendur Member

Ok. When I launch the game directly from toee.exe it seems to load fine. however, when launching from the Co8 mod front end, i get the crash as stated above. Previously i had always loaded with the front end.

As a side question, what are the ramification of using the TOEE.exe directly to continue any current games in progress without the front end? Will they be ok by themselves?

well, after about 30-40 tries it finally started. I havent done anything to my system to change anything though. i did try loading up a few different games to see if anything happened playing those. Everything was fine. Went back to trying the front end and it failed to run 5-6 times and then magically worked once. totally lost on why it broke and why it got fixed. if it is truly fixed, that is.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  3. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

ntdll.dll errors in Win7 are actually pretty common and usually stem from a corrupt driver.

Here's a link to a fix from Micro soft MS ANSWERS

4. vendur

vendur Member

It's actually good'ol XP but it wouldn't surprise me at all of it's driver issues. This is an older system I made into an "old games" rig, since it's way easier to play old school stuff on older platforms/hardware. Unfortunately it's currently running off intel's abomination of an integrated graphics card.

Our Host!