Mother Screng won't join

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by The Kern, Jul 16, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. The Kern

The Kern Member

I decided to try out the new content.

Everything is in place. Under level 5, Otis joined second time, good-aligned party.

Yet, Mother Screng won't join. She says something like "With all those extra people along, we'll just be getting in the way."

I had 7 in the party at the time, so there was enough room for her. But then, I thought, maybe Murfles is a must. So I kicked a party member out, had 6. Again, the same thing. I even reloaded, kicked a party member, and THEN went to Nulb to trigger Otis leaving again. Same speech again. I went down to 5 party members. Same again.

What the hell? The party's not full!!!!!

2. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Did you configure the game to a non-standard PC/NPC capacity? (e.g. 6 or more PCs)

3. The Kern

The Kern Member

Yes. I can have 3 player-created characters and 5 NPC's.

4. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

5. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

You need to have OTIS and ONLY OTIS as you only NPC. You can't even have a familiar, or some other good follower.

The combination of circumstances that allow Screng to join are so tight, that I can't imagine it happens very often unless you know the sequence. You have to have have Otis a second time, discovered factions in the Temple, be 6th level or less, have no followers except Otis, and also not be evil I think. And those are only the ones I know about.

6. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

If you guys check out the thread SA was so kind to link, you'll find a few files there that will fix your issue.

Btw, if you were to search the forum before posting, you would have found these files before hand and saved yourself a bit of waiting and wondering. ;)

7. The Kern

The Kern Member

Wow, does the full moon need to be aligned on the 13th Friday of the 12th month as well? Holy sh!t, why have so many stupid restrictions on an NPC? How ridiculously frustrating. At the very least, the option for her to join shouldn't even be there UNLESS all the requirements are met i.e. Otis should ONLY tell you to go recruit her if he is the only one in the party, you are good, under level 5. Otherwise, it leads to this nonsense where she seemingly can (but can't) join with people left scratching their heads as to why that is. It makes zero sense.

Rant over.

I have actually figured out another way.. All you need to do is say "I don't think we need her" and Otis will beg you to reconsider, at which point you say "ok fine, she can join," and she immediately does. I guess this bypasses the trigger for her rejecting your party.

However, because that set of dialogue options isn't open to Murfles, Murfles remains unrecruitable, telling me my party is full even when it's not.

But since Screng is the only one I wanted, I don't really care :D

Overcoming stupid, nonsensical, needless challenges through trial and error is what this game is all about, I've discovered.

Our Host!