Strange Vertical Lines in Images Split by WorldBuilder's BMP > BMP Feature

Discussion in 'Maps, Textures, and Graphics' started by Gaear, Oct 19, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Hey Agetian, since WorldBuilder's 2D maps utility was updated to add the BMP > BMP splitting feature, I've noticed that strange black vertical lines appear along the edges of each split chunk in chunks that range toward the far right side of large maps. The Hickory Branch map features one at it's right side extremity, and now I'm seeing that Welkwood Bog (which I'm upgrading textures for) features several on its right extremity. (WWB is slightly wider than HB in dimensions, so I'm assuming it's just more lines as it continues to go to the right.)

Any idea what's causing this? It definitely occurs during the WorldBuilder splitting process, not before or after. The lines are exactly one pixel wide.

bog.jpg

2. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

This is very strange, Gaear, the only thing I've changed (as far as the new bmp->bmp feature goes) is the destination format, I haven't changed any offsets or sizes or anything like that which could have caused this effect, so it must be something else :\ Can you please e-mail me a recombined .bmp file which is erroneously split? I can't promise I'll look at it immediately but I'll try to take a look at it in the next few days (I need to reinstall ToEE and the modding toolset too though 'cause in addition to my time constraints I also experienced a system failure recently).

- Agetian

3. Gaear

Hey Ag, I have the recombined Welkwood Bog map in .bmp, but it's 9216x7424 and 261 MB. Do you need all that?

4. Agetian

@ Gaear: if you put it in a .zip archive with maximum compression, will that make it significantly smaller? (if you can make it small enough so that it's possible to either e-mail it or upload it somewhere, yes, I'd like to take a look at the actual file that makes the problem evident).

- Agetian

5. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

You can create a public dropbox folder too. In fact it's probably best for sharing KotB builds and the like off of ModDB.

6. Gaear

Alrighty, I just zipped it (it compressed very well, being a .bmp) and put it on our FTP.

here

7. Agetian

Awesome, I downloaded it. Can't promise I'll take a look during this week because it's super busy, but I'll try to take a look at it closer to the weekend. I'll keep you posted.
    P.S. On a more personal note, did I miss anything important? (I had to disappear from the Internet for a couple days due to the Uni pressure and stuff :( )

- Agetian

8. Agetian

Ok, might finally work on getting those black lines to go away... will try to install a working copy of ToEE and the dev environment for ToEEWB on the weekend, hopefully the time will permit.

- Agetian

9. Zoltec

Zoltec Pгōdigium

Hi, Ag. The splitter utility pops an error, 'is not a valid win32 application.' Do I need to merge the files with the TOEEWB to make it work? Anyway, I don't have the game right now so just askin'. I'm using Windows XP SP3 32-bit.

10. Agetian

@ Zoltec: As far as I'm aware, Darkstorm compiled it for 64-bit processors and 64-bit operating systems, so it's unlikely it will work on a 32-bit system... The upcoming ToEEWB version will work on 32-bit systems. Keep in mind though that you need quite a lot of RAM to split large maps, so a 64-bit CPU/OS might come in handy anyway (even with the upcoming ToEEWB build).

- Agetian

Our Host!